Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Favourite books so far and recommendations

sozforhappysozforhappy Deactivated Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
edited January 2023 in General Chat
- Katy (Jacqueline Wilson)
- Ally's world (Karen McCombie) as well as it's pre-story Raspberry Rules
- Far Rockaway (Charlie Fletcher)
- Middle School series (James Patterson)
- Treasure Hunters (James Patterson)
- I Funny (James Patterson)
- The fault in our stars (John Green) 
- Divergent series 
- Turtles all the way down (John Green)
- Dork Diaries (Rachel Renée Russell)
- Girls series (Jacqueline Wilson)
- Diary of a wimpy kid

What about yous?

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Some of my favourite books are the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, it's hard for me to pick a favourite out of them but I really love Monstrous Regiment and Going Postal. I'm currently reading through The Dark Tower series by Stephen King and they're pretty great too.

This is a great idea for a thread I'm interested to see what other people's favourite books are! :grin:
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Great idea! I can always do with more recommendations too.

Right now I'm reading The Good House by Tananarive Due, and loving it. I'm big into horror!
  • sozforhappysozforhappy Deactivated Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    edited May 2019
    Also skulduggery pleasant series by derek landy
    Geek girl
    Embassy row (ally carter)
    Girl online (Zoe sugg)
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Currently reading looking for Alaska again 😊 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    The Silent Patient 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    I enjoyed a book called the Rosie project (about a guy who has autism) 

currenty reading duplicity by sybil hodge (I think) 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2019
    Damaged - The Heartbreaking True Story of a Forgotten Child 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Mia_mooMia_moo Posts: 146 Helping Hand

Love these, light hearted but great tips. How to be a bawse gave me a kick up the bum 😂 Found them helpful when I wanted to become stronger ❤️
    Reading the comic izombie is based on, a nurse gave it to me during a recent admission, it's SO good and totally different to the series  :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Got some new books while away, 
    The boy who followed his father into auschwitz 
    Our child of the stars 
    Trust me, I'm dead 
    The daughters of red hill hall

Anyone read any of them? 😊
    Anyone got any book suggestions? Need £2 worth of books for free delivery 🙄😂
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Forgot to mention yesterday that the book people have gone into administraton so books are selling cheap on their website. You can get collections for like £8

https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_home_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqY3zBRDQARIsAJeCVxNjDAmC9jF0YT8oQm3GuxFBt1YM2-xIiJkJqtT2AdAOuLwiQPW2zgMaAuQqEALw_wcB

Mia_moo said:

Love these, light hearted but great tips. How to be a bawse gave me a kick up the bum 😂 Found them helpful when I wanted to become stronger ❤️
    ordered fearne cotton - happy, cant wait to read it!
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Has anyone read the Noughts and Crosses series? Was one of my favourites growing up (shows my age) - also has the BBC series at the moment, which is very different to the book, but also an interesting watch.
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

@Ed_ i haven't.. What's it about? May have to look into it 😁
    Well I have 23 books coming 🙈 so will have to wait til next payday 😂 I've never heard of Dr sacks @Aidan will have to look them up! 
    These came this morning! Already started the 365 days of self care one haha 💖

• Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Aidan said:
    They made us read the first book in school @Ed_ so sadly I didn't enjoy it too much!

@BubblesGoesBoo it's sort of about a mix-raced relationship in a version of the world where racism is reversed.

I read a few years ago The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, I love medical books like that. I'll have to re-read it again at some point or get some more of Dr Sacks' books.
    It's interesting that when we are forced to read something, it removes the joy. I had a similar experience with To Kill a Mockingbird at school, when I had to read it for lessons, I really didn't get into it, but then when I chose to re-read it because I had a GCSE exam on it, I actually paid it more attention and it is one of my favourite books.

@BubblesGoesBoo - It's what Aidan said. I think what I like about it, is that it really highlights the impact that oppression and prejudice has on people in any form. I think it also helped me have more of an understanding of what racism could feel like, which fortunately hasn't been something I have experienced personally. It also has some really strong themes running through on love, both in terms of amorous, but also through friendship and family. 
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

@Ed_ it actually sounds quite interesting :) am I the only one that enjoyed reading at school? :lol: like the books we read at school were okay :)
  • DanteAlanisDanteAlanis Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
    I really like Wildcard by Marie Lu. It's about our world sometime in the future, when there's virtual reality. The main character is really tough, and she's a hacker, which I always find interesting.  =)
    got the 365 days of self care journal and really enjoying it :)
    Anyone read any good books recently? :)
    got a 'mental health journal' from a friend and think it's gonna be really beneficial for me :) it's a 8 week mental health tracker and planner :) 
  • ToniToni Deactivated Posts: 67 Boards Initiate
    got a 'mental health journal' from a friend and think it's gonna be really beneficial for me :) it's a 8 week mental health tracker and planner :) 
    This sounds excellent! Hope it goes well. 

On book recommendations, in light of Dune movie coming out in December, I'd recommend those books. They can be farfetched and the series is long! 

Otherwise, I also recommend Memoirs of Geisha, which is one of the most beautiful books I've read. 

I have loads of other recommendations, so could keep going, but I'll space them out.  :3
    @Toni Memoirs of Geisha is in my basket for payday :) love reading other peoples recommendations, and it sounds like my kind of book! Whats your fav book? :)
  • ToniToni Deactivated Posts: 67 Boards Initiate
    Oo such a good question! I have so many, but if I had to pick one it would be Wizard and Glass by Stephen King. It's part of The Dark Tower series, which is 7 books (just in case you haven't heard of it). This is book 4 I think and all of the first 4 books are amazing, but this one is a bit of a tragic love story. 

What's yours? 
  • mimimimi Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
    Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien
    1974 so quite old, my dad read it when he was in school. Based in a post apocalyptic world. Love this book. There's a film too but it's very different to the book 🙃
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Toni said:

On book recommendations, in light of Dune movie coming out in December, I'd recommend those books. They can be farfetched and the series is long! 

I remember seeing the David Lynch film when I was about 9 and read the book at around 12. It was hard going. I re-read it again only a couple of years ago. It's a serious book.
    Weekender Offender 
    @Toni I love Stephen king films, so will have to give his books a go! Sounds interesting :) but me being me will have to buy the whole of the, the dark tower series :lol: 

I have so many fav books :lol:  but if I had to pick one it would probably be The lovely bones, it's sad but so beautifully written <3