You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Weighted blankets

MikeMike Hummus-Fuelled WhovianLondonPosts: 1,881 Staff Moderator
edited December 2019 in Anything Goes
So I recently took the plunge and got one of these, AND I AM IN LOVE WITH IT.

Does anyone else have one? What do you think?

For those who don't know, a weighted blanket is like a normal blanket but it's made using glass to make it heavier. They're commonly used as a way to calm anxiety, help with insomnia, or as a sensory thing for folks with autism. Or purely as a personal choice for comfort. I think you're meant to get one that's 10% of your body weight to avoid it being too heavy, so you just get a feeling of snugness.

They're pretty pricey and arguably a luxury, but definitely ended up being worth the investment for me. Keen to hear if you guys have any experience of these and if so, what you thought, liked/disliked, etc. :)
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Carer/Craft Lover Posts: 2,449 Mega Poster
    I’ve been looking at getting one of these to help when I’m overwhelmed and stressed with things - at the moment Louie lies on my lap to provide some pressure when I’m agitated and overwhelmed so do you think there worth how expensive they are ? 

What do you use yours for it you don’t mind me asking ? Do you think it works for what you use it for ?
    “ I believe that you have the power to achieve whatever you put your mind too, You are living a life’s most people won’t  ever understand but that’s what will Be the root of all your determination and success. You have a soul full of love and kindness and I just know that despite all the hardship, a life’s of happiness awaits you and I’m very proud of you, just keep holding on” 
  • StephanieStephanie Posts: 484 Super Moderator
    My sister made one of these for her 7 year old, my nephew loves it, he said it’s like having a warm cuddle :heart: 
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" 

- Albus Dumbledore 
  • ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 7,154 The Mix Elder
    Are they warmer? I cant afford it atm but just wondering cause i get freezing
    “If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care” Marvin J. Ashton
  • GreenTeaGreenTea The best. The moonPosts: 1,415 Fanatical Poster
    I really want an actual one. At the moment I just use my extra duvet to weigh me down
  • LubnaLubna Posts: 496 Rampant Poster
    I have one but don't feel it helps me in anyway so it's just at the end of my bed😂
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling DurhamPosts: 355 Moderator
    I'm still 50/50 on whether to get one of these for Christmas! Where did you get yours @Mike? :)
  • MikeMike Hummus-Fuelled Whovian LondonPosts: 1,881 Staff Moderator
    I got mine mostly as a comfort choice. I stayed at my friend's and they had one and immediately I was like 'I need it'. And for me, it was worth the investment for that. I've noticed I sleep better and it is super comforting if I'm having a bad mental health day. As @Stephanie said, it's a bit like a cuddle.

I don't know if they're warmer, necessarily. Right now I'm using mine on top of a regular duvet and the temperature is about right. You can also choose whether to use it with a cover or not, and I'm pretty sure there are ones that are more breathable than others. It's worth shopping around.

I got mine from Amazon - the cheapest one I could get that still looked decent. I also got a fluffy cover for it, which made it all the more comfortable. If you don't get the cover, you can wash them as they are but it's not as good for the blanket. And because the blankets are so heavy, you usually need to wash them on their own rather than in a full load.

I would definitely recommend trying one before you get one if you can. I was on the fence for aaaages until I tried one and it confirmed that it was the right choice for me. It also depends a bit how much money you're willing to invest into your sleep, and whether it's more of an extra nice thing or something you need to help fix a problem (e.g. insomnia).

Cool to see some of you guys have tried them. :) Obviously they don't work for everyone but thank you for sharing your thoughts!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Bpd bitch ✌🏼 Posts: 719 Incredible Poster
    edited December 2019
    I got one ages ago from amazon. I love mine so much - when my anxiety is overwhelming I put it over me, turn off the big lights and play music. I find it very calming. They are very expensive tho
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    Heads up- home bargins are selling a weighted blanket for £30
    PoppyB
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Sunny ScotlandPosts: 2,836 Mega Poster
    Ordered mine from koala blanket.. My friend has the same one and I fell in love with it! Hoping it helps me sleep and reduces my anxiety. Been thinking about getting one for ages but couldn't afford it, but got my bonus this month 😊 I'll let yous know how I get on 😁
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    My weighted blanket came and I love it. My bed is such a safe space now and my set up is just on point
    I never want to get out of bed again. Can I just wear the weighted blanket? It's actually perfect.
    @Mike thanks for making this thread