Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weighted blankets

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
edited December 2019 in General Chat
So I recently took the plunge and got one of these, AND I AM IN LOVE WITH IT.

Does anyone else have one? What do you think?

For those who don't know, a weighted blanket is like a normal blanket but it's made using glass to make it heavier. They're commonly used as a way to calm anxiety, help with insomnia, or as a sensory thing for folks with autism. Or purely as a personal choice for comfort. I think you're meant to get one that's 10% of your body weight to avoid it being too heavy, so you just get a feeling of snugness.

They're pretty pricey and arguably a luxury, but definitely ended up being worth the investment for me. Keen to hear if you guys have any experience of these and if so, what you thought, liked/disliked, etc. :)
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    I’ve been looking at getting one of these to help when I’m overwhelmed and stressed with things - at the moment Louie lies on my lap to provide some pressure when I’m agitated and overwhelmed so do you think there worth how expensive they are ? 

What do you use yours for it you don’t mind me asking ? Do you think it works for what you use it for ?
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    My sister made one of these for her 7 year old, my nephew loves it, he said it’s like having a warm cuddle :heart: 
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Are they warmer? I cant afford it atm but just wondering cause i get freezing
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I really want an actual one. At the moment I just use my extra duvet to weigh me down
  • LubnaLubna Deactivated Posts: 496 Listening Ear
    I have one but don't feel it helps me in anyway so it's just at the end of my bed😂
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    I'm still 50/50 on whether to get one of these for Christmas! Where did you get yours @Mike? :)
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    I got mine mostly as a comfort choice. I stayed at my friend's and they had one and immediately I was like 'I need it'. And for me, it was worth the investment for that. I've noticed I sleep better and it is super comforting if I'm having a bad mental health day. As @Stephanie said, it's a bit like a cuddle.

I don't know if they're warmer, necessarily. Right now I'm using mine on top of a regular duvet and the temperature is about right. You can also choose whether to use it with a cover or not, and I'm pretty sure there are ones that are more breathable than others. It's worth shopping around.

I got mine from Amazon - the cheapest one I could get that still looked decent. I also got a fluffy cover for it, which made it all the more comfortable. If you don't get the cover, you can wash them as they are but it's not as good for the blanket. And because the blankets are so heavy, you usually need to wash them on their own rather than in a full load.

I would definitely recommend trying one before you get one if you can. I was on the fence for aaaages until I tried one and it confirmed that it was the right choice for me. It also depends a bit how much money you're willing to invest into your sleep, and whether it's more of an extra nice thing or something you need to help fix a problem (e.g. insomnia).

Cool to see some of you guys have tried them. :) Obviously they don't work for everyone but thank you for sharing your thoughts!
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    edited December 2019
    I got one ages ago from amazon. I love mine so much - when my anxiety is overwhelming I put it over me, turn off the big lights and play music. I find it very calming. They are very expensive tho
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    Heads up- home bargins are selling a weighted blanket for £30
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Ordered mine from koala blanket.. My friend has the same one and I fell in love with it! Hoping it helps me sleep and reduces my anxiety. Been thinking about getting one for ages but couldn't afford it, but got my bonus this month 😊 I'll let yous know how I get on 😁
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    My weighted blanket came and I love it. My bed is such a safe space now and my set up is just on point
    I never want to get out of bed again. Can I just wear the weighted blanket? It's actually perfect.
    @Mike thanks for making this thread
    Had mine for just over a month now and it was the best decision! When I'm feeling stressed/overwhelmed I curl up under it and it helps so much! super calming :) as for sleep im not sure if is helped or not some nights I think it does but then others I barely get any sleep so I dunno, probably depends what mindset im in aswell… either way I don't want to leave my bed in the morning :lol:  
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    Super late replying to you guys but I'm really glad you like yours. :) It's a relief when you get something expensive and it turns out to be worth the investment. Welcome to the club!

My favourite thing after a long day is to get home, change, turn off the big light and get under the blanket. Get that super nice 'I'm safe now' feeling and it's definitely the best way for me to decompress.
    I literally do the same mike, home from work, throw on some joggers and a T-shirt, put my fairy lights on and lay under my blanket ♥️
    edited April 2020
    Mine cane today after I caved in and found one on groupon for £35 and I honestly love it so much , I’ve been really struggling with feeling lonely and this just makes it feel like someone is giving me a constant hug and it really does give that feeling of being “safe”
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • dancertoridancertori Posts: 127 The Mix Convert
    I don't have a weighted blanket, but my nephew does and when he comes here (not at all at the moment unfortunately) I may pinch it when hes not using it, and despite it being a small one its amazing. that being said my dog is trained to preform a task called Deep Pressure Therapy (DPT) which goes on the same theory as weighted blankets, and a lot of the time this is accompanied by her allowing me to use her for tactile stimulation (playing with her ears, touching her fur etc) will say though a dog works out a lot more expensive both for initial buying and upkeep, blankets don't  need feeding, walking , insurance, vet bills and all that expensive stuff.
    @Millie2787 how did your first night with the blanket go? :)

@dancertori it's so cool your dog is trained to do that! does it help? im guessing it does if its the same as a weighted blanket, only better cause it's a furry friend lol
    I was abit achey to begin with but i finally settled and OMG I have never slept so well in my life ! I lie on my duvet and then use the weighted blanket as my duvet and OMG I love it 😂 @BubblesGoesBoo
    @Millie2787 so glad to hear it helped! yeahh took me a few days to get used to it but now I struggle to sleep without it haha... I do the same, lie on my duvet using the weighted blanket as a duvet (with my electric blanket for extra cosiness) and I love it!
    @Millie2787 just some advice! Get a duvet cover you really like /comforting colours and put it over the weighted blanket to help keep it clean! They are a challenge to wash otherwise! 
    Glad you hear it helped you with your sleep! I hope it helps when you have had a bad day and can just wrap yourself up in it.
    I can't imagine life without mine now. Honestly it's my favourite thing. I feel so relaxed when I wrap myself in it or lay in bed with it. 
    Really happy it helped!
    edited April 2021
    I have a weighted blanket. It is not for me. Makes me feel trapped and suffocated most times. Now I’m not sure what to do with it. Take alot of storage It also puts me off using since you can’t wash it and I don’t really want to try it that much if you can’t even wash it
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited April 2021
    Shaunie wrote: »
    I have a weighted blanket. It is not for me. Makes me feel trapped and suffocated most times. Now I’m not sure what to do with it. Take alot of storage It also puts me off using since you can’t wash it and I don’t really want to try it that much if you can’t even wash it

You can wash them? Just have to do it on a delicate wash or go to a laundry place and have them do it because their machines are bigger and can manage the weight.
    It should of come with instructions on how to wash it
    GreenTea wrote: »
    Shaunie wrote: »

You can wash them? Just have to do it on a delicate wash or go to a laundry place and have them do it because their machines are bigger and can manage the weight.
    It should of come with instructions on how to wash it

Says do not wash
    Oh. Mine has instructions.
    Use a duvet cover