Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Auto-join and the lobby

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
Heeey everyone,

Most of you are probably aware that, when you join group chat, you get automatically placed in the topmost room. This is why we currently have the Lobby - it acts as a landing space for everyone so the actual chat rooms don't get flooded by people entering. It doesn't serve any purpose beyond that and can be a little confusing to newcomers, and mods don't generally monitor it.

The good news is that we now have an option to disable 'auto-join', which is the feature that automatically puts everyone into a room. Now, when you login, you shouldn't be entered into any rooms. That means we may no longer need the lobby, so we might be removing it if this goes well. It's probably fair to say that would make chat more intuitive and easier to use.

We'll see if this works as intended tonight. If it does, we'll remove the lobby for Thursday and make things a bit simpler for everyone. Just wanted to give you all a heads up. :3
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    So it won't throw people who are banned from chats into the rooms they are banned on if they go on to use support circle?
    I have no idea if that made sense or if I've misunderstood
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    That's right @GreenTea - you'll basically be put in an invisible lobby before joining any room. :)

Thanks @OnlyAlex!
    OnlyAlex said:
    Just some feedback, it dropped me straight into the general chat and it was very awkward having to leave to go to support chat. Is there an option where when you log in and you're on a blank page?
    Ooh, that's unusual @OnlyAlex... did anyone else experience this?

You should, in theory, just get a blank page until you've chosen a room. Were you dropped in after logging in or did you automatically go through as a guest and then login after?
    Wait I don't like have an account for chat? I just go through guest as I only use support circle I don't see the point in having a log in. Does that mean it's gonna throw me into a chat I'm not allowed to be in? I'm getting anxious I'm gonna get into trouble for something I have no control over
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    I always get put straight into support chat rather than the lobby lol
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    Hey gang,

So it looks like there's an issue with guest accounts... I think.

We'll be using the lobby again until we find a way around it. Apologies it didn't work out quite as planned, and sorry to those who found themselves being entered straight into GC!

You're in no trouble @GreenTea. We'd never blame someone for something like that. :3
    Also, I'm very intrigued by this @Jellyelephant! Has that always been the case? You have an account, right?
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Mike said:
    Also, I'm very intrigued by this @Jellyelephant! Has that always been the case? You have an account, right?
    Yeah for as long as I can remember. Well I think at first it put me in the lobby but then after using chat a few times on my account it just puts me straight into support chat lol ..... I assumed it was because I go in there mostly??? 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited November 2019
    Mike said:
    Yeah for as long as I can remember. Well I think at first it put me in the lobby but then after using chat a few times on my account it just puts me straight into support chat lol ..... I assumed it was because I go in there mostly??? 
    Mine does that if i dont close the chat before logging out. I think 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    @Shaunie said:
    Mike said:
    Mine does that if i dont close the chat before logging out. I think 
    Thanks guys - really appreciate this insight. We'll go to the ChatWee techies and see what's going on here. For now, we'll keep using the lobby. :3