Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hi, my name is Spook98!

Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
Hi everyone, I'm a 20 year old guy and I recently found this site when it was recommended to me by another service. Any advice on how best to use the site / where to go and talk would be really appreciated.

I've never really opened up on such a public forum before now, but a number of things have been getting to me for a while now, and recently it's been worse than usual. I've had a number of problems with bereavement when I was younger, one of which was losing my dad, which I always did my best not to think about. As such I've still not properly addressed it, and struggle to now because when I think about it, it just causes me pain I don't want. After he died though, I withdrew a lot from other people for a long time, so my self confidence and social skills really suffered. Often I feel extremely lonely and have issues with self loathing, and despite sometimes being in situations where I could meet people, it's been easier and more comfortable not to make the effort.

I'm sick of being depressed, feeling in pain, and all of the thoughts of self harm and suicide that have come with it. I hope my being on the site and trying to talk more openly will go some of the way towards making things better. At the moment I'm just trying to find things to be doing a step at a time. But anyway, thanks for reading.

Comments

• davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey @Spook98

welcome to the mix  :) Sorry to hear about your dad passing away when you was younger, Im sure that many people out their including on this forum are fed up of being depressed as much as you are

I'm always a private message away from if you need anyone to talk too or have any questions (click on my profile and their should be a button which says message), 

I can relate to a lot at the moment with the suicide and self harm thoughts, if your up for it, why don't you pop down to health and wellbeing threat and create a discussion and i'm sure the community will share their love and support to you 

private messages are always open and i respond asap, 

love and hugs 
    davcr0ck
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Welcome to the community @Spook98!

I'm really glad you found us, you've taken a really positive step to already share a bit about what's been going on for you. 

You might like to have a read through some of our threads in our Start Here section. There's lots of info about how the boards work and also our forum guidelines. 

When you're ready to talk a bit more, you can head over to our Health and Wellbeing section to make a post and get some support from the community - everyone is so lovely here!

If you have any questions about anything, just let us know. We're all here to help :) 

See you around!
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey!
    welcome to community! 

Thanks for sharing - it takes a lot of courage to share. Sounds like youre in a painful place and have been/still are going through a lot. I hope you know youre not alone and we will be listening, to support you
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Thankyou all for the warm welcomes, I'll be sure to post in health and wellbeing if/when I'm struggling with something more specific. At the minute it's the usual case of lacking motivation and interest, having way too much time to think and dwell on things in turn. Long periods of being alone without distactions tends to be what starts making me get into my own head, which I then tend to do worse and worse until it tires me out enough to sleep through it. Hopefully it gets easier to be honest about certain things, and hope to talk to you all some more in the future. Maybe help others too if I'm able, I'm better at not talking about myself as a rule :)
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Welcome!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.