Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Group chats tonight (Thursday 23/05/19)

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited May 2019 in Community Announcements
Tonight, we have Support Chat and General Chat running from 8-9:30pm.

Support Chat: A place to talk about anything on your mind in a safe, supportive environment. Aman and Mike will be modding.

General Chat: A place for more light-hearted chat about pretty much anything be it TV, music, the weather, that hilarious video you saw on YouTube etc. Jan will be modding.

New to the community? Go here to find all the info you'll need about group chat.

You can find the 'join' links on this page once the sessions open. When you click 'join' for a session, you'll be taken through to our lobby area, from which you can access all the open rooms.

See you then,
Mike & the team :)

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Oh no not Michael  ;)
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Oh no not Michael  ;)

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Wonder if Mike has my  cake yet ??? 😝

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Mike said:
    Oh no not Michael  ;)

Ahhh this cracked me up lol excellent use of gifs kind sir I salute you
    Wonder if Mike has my  cake yet ??? 😝

One day @Millie2787 ;)
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Wellll @Mike you can break the news to Aife that until I get my cake Louie won’t be paying you all a visit 😝
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Wellll @Mike you can break the news to Aife that until I get my cake Louie won’t be paying you all a visit 😝
    Fistey (however you spell that) 😂 :P
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Yay Mike! ;):) :P
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    Ummmm I can’t remember what I said exactly in chat but I was very drunk and I think I was saying inappropriate things lol so I’m very sorry haha pls forgive me
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited May 2019
    Ya know im really confused. I may miss understand. Can i ask question to @The Mix or @Mike  i just want to make clear

I cant remember the right words. But what did you mean by "there a place for different types of support" and then something along the lines of shouldnt use type of supportThis was said after i said something like "plus it would be good to pratice my peer support training" then this was said like i should not use my training to support others in chat which im now confused about. Considering peer support can be used anywhere. But espically on here cause all peer support aswell anyway. Plus in my training i was told It would be better if i use what i have been trained - to use in every part of my life and how i speak to people since that would make work more easier aswell. . But dk im confused. Cause trying to reply on here but just remembering that comment like i shouldnt & wrong type of support and im patrgoning or something and not for here and definelty not for group chat but i know i can use anywhere but im still bit confused.  I think you said more 121 support but can be for anywhere and yeah confused. Cause now i cant supoort any way else otherwise im feeling confused already
    Would be able to mke more clear?

thank you:)
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited May 2019
    I guess there's a time and place for different kinds of support Shaunie, but everyone is welcome to chip in and support people in the ways group chat allows for :)
    Shaunie - I guess there's a difference between the softer, more empathetic support you might find somewhere like SC, and more structured, guided support you might be providing as something like a counsellor or 1-2-1 worker. It wasn't a critique on peer support or anything you've done - just made me think about the potential differences. (also disclaimer that I know nothing about the peer support work you're doing!)

Are these the comments you're referring to, @Shaunie? I definitely didn't word this particularly well, so that's on me - I can understand why you're confused! Haha.

That first message I meant as a very broad principle (e.g. it would be inappropriate to try and counsel someone or walk them through a crisis situation in a Support Chat). You weren't doing either of those things, but that's the general point I was getting at - group chat is just one type of environment, and it's one where listening, empathy, and emotional support tend to be the main reasons people come.

Definitely don't feel discouraged making use of your peer support training - my fleeting thoughts weren't a comment on whether or not you should chat to people here. :) It's good to put those skills into practice and no doubt you could make great use of them on the community.

Does that help?
    edited May 2019
    Thanks for explaining @Mike  :)

Makes sense and def okay then cause ...
    Mike said:

group chat is just one type of environment, and it's one where listening, empathy, and emotional support tend to be the main reasons people come.
    This is exactly what most of my training has been about - listening & not fixing - so definelty okay then. (Mostly been learning about spefic challenges & suggestions of what can help and lanagauge and the wording of things and just learning about mental health and H&SC & how to support them to build skills for themselves - def not like fixing of the sort if make sense.) 

Thanks

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • NatalieMTNatalieMT Posts: 177 Helping Hand
    Sorry to chip in here and I hope I don’t offend, but from my past, situation and life experiences, I have been counselled, sometimes counselled myself especially the past couple of years. I have received self centred counselling and psychotherapy previously and from both I feel I am in tune with my thoughts / feelings. 

I am at a stage where I don’t necessarily need to know the ‘whys’ but more recently especially from the Counselling I had received from the mix, I knew that I needed to explore ‘go over things’ that I had gone over previously but in a different place I guess. I went along with things instead of pre-empting. 

I personally hate labels and textbooks defining and feel they can have a tendency of categorising people. I know myself I may have judged people in my past from things I had read, but having not moved on my from all of the support that I have received and I have been fortunate enough to receive, I don’t read things anymore. People are all different, no two people are the same, and no experience is the same for any person. 

You are embarking on your career with the training ect and I applaud you for that sometimes I think it’s great that you can learn, training to help others in the future, whilst having your own personal experiences.

personally I just don’t agree with textbooks, psychologists ect but I appreciate everyone is different. Some find researching information helps them massively, others it can hindered make them feel frustrated, stick and lost because what they read isn’t changing or helping that person. A bit helpless.

I hope this makes sense and I have worded this correctly.

I hope it is all going well for you and I’m sure you’ll do well.

Natalie 

edited May 2019
    That's such an interesting reply. Thank you, Natalie. 

Sorry at the mix, my fault your thread is going completely somewhere else ahah

but that is so true Natalie and most of what you said - esp about no labels, less clinical textbook stuff and everyone's different, exploring their feelings to certain extent etc... is something I heavily learnt on my training. & about helping people explore their feelings when needed and to accept them where people are in their recovery & letting them lead. all to help independence. Which is actually really insightful in how great & valuable peer support is and the way is lead and im so sad was never got offered it. Cause seems like great way to support. & its also so interesting in how its been shaping other support systems