Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sleep patterns

davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
Hey all, 

I wanted to get an idea if anyone else struggles with getting the amount of sleep they need, I find that in the autumn and winter and some of spring, I get around 8 hours sleep (which is right for me) and then in the summer I find this goes completely different, normally just after day light saving starts I can't fall asleep until after 11pm and I wake up at 4am or 5am,

For me, sleep is important for the long term working of my medication, so I have discused sleeping medication with my cardiologist (my orginal medication condition is heart related, so I go to him for advice) we also think it could be link to my body clock and my austim but we are really not sure.

When going to bed, I don't have my phone in my room or any other device in their. anyone has an advice on sleep thst would be great

davcr0ck 
Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
Tagged:

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey David,

Yep - getting enough sleep is hard :lol: For me, I usually either can't fall asleep, get woken up too early, or stay up too late because I'm too depressed to want to get the sleep I need.

Do you keep the room fairly dark and quiet? I find it harder to sleep when there's too much light or if my family are being loud.

I've also heard a few tips that work for some people. One of them is to try to picture a scene, such as a boat floating along the ocean. Alternatively, you can repeat a phrase in your mind, such as "don't think". The goal is to try to calm your thinking (thinking about falling asleep is the best way to not do it, so I've found). There's also this trick here.

Are there any things that you've found helpful, at all?

<3
  • davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey @kathleen0172

I try to keep my room as dark as possible but is am challenge when I have an street light right outside my room and considering I go to bed earlier then the rest of my family, their normally not too noisy but I require complete silence to fall asleep.

But I try those tips you suggested, 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
    Hey all,

so today and yesterday, something really weird has happened when I've woken up in the morning, I wake up and open my eye, and yesterday I went to role out of my bed but couldn't move, I tryed moving singular parts of my body like my head and arms and legs but they didn't move ever, so I started panicing because I had no idea what was going on, after about 5 minutes I could move,

And then today it got an whole new level of weridness occurred, I tryed to move myself again but couldn't, then I felt something on my leg, so I tryed to move it off my leg but I could not see anything their, it then felt it moving upwards my leg and I try to move it away but couldn't, they I tryed shouting but I sayed nothing, it then started to pull me towards it and then I went into an panic attack shortly after breaking out of it,

Does anyone have any idea what it is and what could be causing it 

Love ya all
    ❤️
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey <3

It sounds like you could be describing sleep paralysis, maybe? Here's the NHS page on that, if you want to look into it.

That sounds really scary <3
    Ah an cause is lack of sleep, great I'm gonna have this an lot over the summer 👍
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :) 

If this happens during summer, it can often be a case of daylight and temperature. Daylight reduces melanin levels, which makes it harder to sleep. Also, your body needs to cool down a couple of degrees so that you can get to sleep - if your room is warm, that will make it harder to get to sleep, and harder to stay asleep. 

If both of those don't work, meditating before you sleep can help you calm your mind and slow your breathing rate, both of which also help to sleepx

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @davcr0ck

If it is sleep paralysis, I have some tips for how you can prevent it. I used to experience it quite regularly so I started looking for patterns and that's definitely helping me to manage it better. Sleeping on my back almost guarantees sleep paralysis; and there are lots of reports of this happening to other people too. So when you are falling asleep, especially in days where you might be feeling particularly tired, try your absolute best to sleep on your side or on your tummy, or to have some pillows to prevent you rolling onto your back. Also, stress is a big cause for me. You are doing the right thing by sharing your worries with The Mix, but it might also be worth paying particular attention to winding down before bed.

Of course, it might not happen to you again. But if it does, just remember that although it's scary in the moment, it's not dangerous and it won't last forever. :heart:
    I don't ever sleep on my back, its the most uncomfortable position for me, I have an long pillow between my legs which helps with my hips to stop them from making me roll over,

My sleep has been terrible over this week, 4.hours average each night and I'm waking up at 4am any advice on that would be appreciated @coc0mac