Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

”telling my story”

SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
On Wednesday as part of my training I am getting assessed for 10 mins on telling my story of mental health challenges. (training to be a peer support worker)

10 mins is a long time to be speaking. I can write it and then read it out. 10 mins is about 1,000-2,000 words. 

But it's just not the fact of telling my story. I am being assessed on my lanague and how I say i. Which means no blaming, being honest, using recovery language (can't say things mental health ”problems” or diagnosis and things I have to think about ”i” and ”you” statements 

And I am just really scared.

Today heard one of the peer tutors story and had some insight in what to say. But in still confused. On what to say and what not to say. And need to do it over the weekend
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• Options
    ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    Hey @Shaunie

This is your life! Be true to yourself on how you say it, give emotions you felt at the time. Any way you say it will be right, because you were the only one there in your head. I'm not sure how to help the blame problem, but if you feel you are saying the wrong thing, switch to talking less about yourself, and examples of people you know? 

Wish you sooo much luck🤞
    My feelings are bigger on the inside.
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
    The joy is worth the pain.

• Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,859 Extreme Poster
    Hey Shaunie,

Best of luck - you'll be great!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,309 Part of The Furniture
    Just chipping in here to say making those linguistic changes (using recovery language) is a very difficult thing to get into the habit of, so definitely don't feel bad if you find it tricky or you occasionally say something 'wrong'. It's difficult, perhaps even more so when it's your own story.

Is there someone you can run your script by before tomorrow, perhaps to check it?

Best of luck. :) You might find the ten minutes flies by once you get into it!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Thank you. 

This is tomorrow. From today got more of insight what should include and can read from my phone. Going to spend tonight planning it. So scared
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    How are you getting on with your planning tonight?  Best of luck for tomorrow <3
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    This is going well(my prep)

Okay so what i am going to do is speak over 5 mins about my struggle of mental health as well as my strengths and what not.
     Then the rest i am bring my self care/recovery box and going to explain the stuff that are in there and it has photos in there that help me and will explain

(the tutors had photos in their presentations) and feel like bring my small recovery box is a good idea. 

And i have practiced this by myself. May look bit weird in my room speaking to no one. And it always is about 8 mins. But i don’t know if in real life i will speak slower and hard to tell

• Options
    davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    yay congrats @Shaunie

sending love and hugs
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • Options
    CarolineVCarolineV Posts: 133 The Mix Convert
    Hiya Shaunie!

Just wanted to pop in and say a belated congratulations on getting onto the training-I'm so happy for you. Well done today too, you're doing such a good job!

Caroline <3
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster

I'm glad it went pretty well, congrats :-) How are you feeling now?

<3
  • Options
    Thank you. But im feeling really drained now. 

Listening to 15 stories was really overwhelming and some was graphic of truamas and self harm. And thats about 15 x 10 mins which i dk what that is. Maybe about 3 hours of listening to that is feeling quite overwhelming now - thinking about what everyone said 
  • Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey @Shaunie glad to hear your presentation went well, I think anybody would be feeling drained after all that. Hope you managed to recharge some of your energy ready to take on the next challenge!

How have you been feeling since then, are there any upcoming tasks on your course worrying you? It really sounds like you've been knocking it out the park so far. :)

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    Sorry I didn't reply quick but I'm really happy for you!!!
    My feelings are bigger on the inside.
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
    The joy is worth the pain.

• Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Hey @Shaunie

I'm a bit late at replying but I just wanted to say well done for doing your presentation! Really proud of you! <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤