Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A game to help design government policy

ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
edited June 2023 in Politics & Debate

Youth Voice Across (YVA) is a mobile app that turns policy consultation into a game to engage young people and inform them.  This is the final idea that the steering group has come up with to try and make policy consultation more accessible to young people.  Read more about the project here.

Check out the designs here

The story is about a senior official trying to fix problems and gets the chance to participate at-real world events!   You can read more here.

How it works

• When you open YVA for the first time, a video plays that introduces your character and the point of the game. You are a young person making your way in the world, sharing your views and gaining influence. You can get promoted, become an elected MP and even become the prime minister.
  • You can select topics you are interested in. The algorithm with automatically identify secondary issues you might be passionate about.
  • You start off with basic multiple-choice questions. But as you get more advanced you move on to qualitative questions.
  • The app sends push notifications to users when relevant events pop up in their local area/ on issues they are passionate about. They can attend the event. Scanning a QR code get them bonus points! Alternatively, users can live stream the event via the app and engage online.
  • As you progress you can unlock more accessories and real-world perks for you and your character. Your character is anonymised, so you don’t lose street cred.

We would love to hear your thoughts on this idea, and the others.  Let us know what you think in the comments below.

What do you think of this as an idea?

Any ideas for other story lines that you would prefer?

If you would like give more feedback outside of this discussion then please fill in the survey here.  Any questions, or if anythings not clear, just ask.  @htwohig2412 is around to help out also

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Italia

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
-
Brene Brown

Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    We're super excited to hear what you all think of the concept and would love your feedback to help us really shape what our platform could look like.
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    I personally wouldn't use this as I think it seems less serious when it's a game and the reason I'd want to be involved on InVolved (lol) is to feel like I was contributing something. 

But I do think it could be a fun way of getting people engaged... Maybe people who are keen on a career in politics already would be super engaged. People like me who have little interest in being an MP etc might get put off by the fact you work your way up to become prime minister haha.

Also I'm sure it's just an example so sorry to be picky but for Question 1: would need to elaborate on some of the abbreviations or make the question a bit more simple (if that makes sense) as I can't really understand what it's asking!

Hope that helps a little.

- Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Lucy307 said:
    the reason I'd want to be involved on InVolved (lol) is to feel like I was contributing something. 
    Just wanted to say that I love the pun! 

Lucy307 said:
    But I do think it could be a fun way of getting people engaged... Maybe people who are keen on a career in politics already would be super engaged. People like me who have little interest in being an MP etc might get put off by the fact you work your way up to become prime minister haha.
    Really appreciate your honesty- it's massively important to us. With the state of politics atm I definitely see why becoming PM would be scary!

Lucy307 said:
    Also I'm sure it's just an example so sorry to be picky but for Question 1: would need to elaborate on some of the abbreviations or make the question a bit more simple (if that makes sense) as I can't really understand what it's asking!
    Another really great insight. Don't worry about being picky - it's really important we get it right so letting us know exactly what you think is what we need! Thanks!
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    It's an interesting idea! It's following a general trend of integrating gamification into more mundane tasks (childcare, motivation, applicant screening etc). I think it's something that is trying to target the younger demographics, and quite a few people will at least give it a go :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Azziman said:
    It's an interesting idea! It's following a general trend of integrating gamification into more mundane tasks (childcare, motivation, applicant screening etc). I think it's something that is trying to target the younger demographics, and quite a few people will at least give it a go :)
    Glad to hear that you think people would give it a go. 😊 Totally agree, gamification is a new concept that's popping up everywhere at the moment, let's hope that we can tap into it! Cheers!
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    I love it - when is this game coming out? I wanna play lol
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    Glad you like it @Jellyelephant. I agree it's a really cool idea!

So we're in the design phase at the moment, we're just gathering some initial feedback and then we'll make a decision on what sort of platform (game, website etc) when we meet back up to discuss. Hope that helps!
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Glad you like it @Jellyelephant. I agree it's a really cool idea!

So we're in the design phase at the moment, we're just gathering some initial feedback and then we'll make a decision on what sort of platform (game, website etc) when we meet back up to discuss. Hope that helps!
    if you need someone to test the game let me know! I would love to play this 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    Hello!

Thanks so much for all your thoughts.  I just wanted to drop in and let you know that your ideas have been listened to, and you can read about how and the next steps in @htwohig2412 post

We asked quite a few people across different channels (Instagram, Surveys, Chat and Discussion Boards) what they thought and I wanted to share with you what young people thought in general.

I hope this is interesting, and let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks!
    Italia 

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown