Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you express your opinions online?

ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for sharing what your passionate about, and where you get your information from.  Its really interesting and will help us to create new ways to make sure you get your voices heard. 

Our third question is.. 

How do you go about expressing your opinions on social or political issues online?  (Do you get involved in politics online e.g. twitter, Facebook, here?).

If Not, what stops you from expressing your opinions? 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Italia 

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
-
Brene Brown

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Well, I actually mentioned this in my post on "what are you passionate about" :joy: 

I feel hesitant and cautious when it comes to politics. There's a few reasons. A, I don't want to upset people. So if I think the people I'm talking to will be offended or I don't know if they have a similar perspective, I get worried about that. B, I'm nervous I'll get yelled at. C, I may get worked up and yell myself, and I def don't want that. 

But I do think political talks are important in a way. I feel quite a few people are living in ignorance of just what is happening around them. And in a way, I think they let society and the media fool them.

And I find talking about bigger things like the universe and what would make earth better interesting.

So basically, I just want a chill conversation, and if I think it won't be that I should probably stay away.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I'm very comfortable expressing my political opinion on sites like Twitter, however I would find it more difficult in smaller online situations. I think it's good to see a variety of opinions online, even if you don't necessarily agree with them - it plants the idea in your head. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    I tend not to express my opinion explicitly as I worry about being 'attacked' and having to defend my opinion. That said, I do 'like' other people's opinions that closely match my own.

I do agree with the above though that it is nice seeing people's various opinions on things- so long as it doesn't get heated! 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    I don't usually express my opinions online.
    I have in the past, and sometimes people will go on to my profile and personally attack things about me like where I study or how I look, so I just tend not to bother.
    I am also worried about who might see my comments. Not that I have ever expressed a really outlandish opinion, but I would not like a potential employer or my grandma to see what I thought about certain things!
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    I do a lot of my sharing of opinions on twitter - most of it tends to be around Young Carers stuff. Retweeting things from carers trusts , other Young Carers centres etc.

recently there was a debate in parliament over Young Carers which I had a little sit and watch and had a few strong words to say about it. Sometimes I think I worry I may offended people even if it is my opinion 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Although I want to be considerate and not hurt people's feelings, you have to realise that there's always people who disagree with/hate your opinions. Thus, I simply state my views. If someone wants to debate, great - I think that's a good thing! If I realise I'm wrong, then I'd concede. There's no hard feelings - everyone is allowed to have an opinion, even if we don't agree :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    The only 'political' things I share on FB/Twitter are the great work of organisations like Crisis and mental health charities which I would usually just re-tweet/re-share without saying much. I think with the amount of trolls and people looking for arguments, there's no point. Happier to debate in real life if I really want to!
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    I don't really understand politics, so it's difficult for me to know what to say in these discussions, that being said, I wouldn't say I express my opinions online, because I think it's quite difficult in the world we live in, because I see a lot of negativity from others expressing their opinions. 

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

• HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    edited March 2019
    Hiya all, I loved reading about how open minded you all are when it comes to politics and sharing online views - healthy debate is cool so it's great to hear you're open to that.

I just wanted to update you on behalf of @The Mix as I've spent this weekend working with a cool bunch of organisations (DCMS, Policy Lab, BYC) who we're collaborating with to build a digital platform which will allow young people to have a say in government policy making consultations. We spent some time looking at your responses to this thread. They gave us a massive insight into the sorts of issues you're comfortable talking about - an insight which helped us design some platforms that were as attractive and relevant to as many young people as possible. I also wanted to mention all your responses were kept totally anonymous - we didn't share your usernames, profiles or any details, so your information is safe!

It's a really exciting project and this certainly won't be the last you hear of it...we've got loads of cool plans to engage with you further! Thanks for all of the help - your responses were great! Anyone curious about the project just ask!
    Post edited by HarryT on
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Sometimes I share my opinion - although if it is anything too controversial I tend not to. I sometimes will also post on my facebook profile about political issues that are important to me such as funding of mental health services, or a comment on something I have seen on TV. I am very aware though of my social media presence since applying for a nursing degree, and would not want any views I share online to be used against me. 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    Sometimes I share my opinion - although if it is anything too controversial I tend not to. I sometimes will also post on my facebook profile about political issues that are important to me such as funding of mental health services, or a comment on something I have seen on TV. I am very aware though of my social media presence since applying for a nursing degree, and would not want any views I share online to be used against me. 
    That's really greatto know - thanks! Keep your eyes peeled as we've got some more questions to be asking in the next few days about the next stage of the project!
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • SauterelleSauterelle Deactivated Posts: 13 Settling in
    Agree with Aiden: no politics, no religion or anything offensive. There is already enough offensiveness in our world, but I have expressed my concerns on two major sites, one of them a news site I've an account on.

I don't use social media. Takes up far too much of my time.
    Thanks for that @Sauterelle.

The above conversation was started by
    The Mix as part of a wider piece of work we're doing to try to encourage young people to be involved in government consultations. There's some more information and some prototypes on the 'Change the World' subforum (link below) that we'd love some feedback on if you have chance:

https://community.themix.org.uk/categories/change-the-world