Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Brexit deal debacle

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
Anyone following this madness? A second referendum, multiple different deal proposals from Theresa May (including one promising her resignation), time extensions... what do you think of this whole process, and what would you like to see happen?

Here's the latest, for those of you out the loop: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47756377
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    Sadly I am going to have to hold my hands up and say I am following it for many reasons. Not happy with it all at all but let just hope she does resign if 1 of her deals get backed. 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    I’ll openly say that I have not go s clue what’s going on and I don’t think I ever have - it’s been quite a confusing process that everytime I try to make sense of it frazzle my brain even more 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    edited March 2019
    At the moment, most of the country just wants the politicians to decide on something! Without any definite way forward, no one can plan ahead. Countries are not sure how their relationship with the UK changes, businesses and organisations aren't sure how to change their financial outlooks and projections, and people don't know what's in store for them. Even if it's a decision that people doesn't like, at least a definite answer allows them to prepare and plan. I think that's been the main source of frustration. Hopefully, it will be over soon!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Parliament shouldn't be playing party politics over such a big issue. I voted Leave but it's looking increasingly likely it won't happen. What would I like to see? A general election. I think it's the only way the deadlock might be broken and progress made.
    Weekender Offender 
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    I have no idea whats happening anymore but its a shit show.... 

i think ech party should come up with a brexit deal and then we have a general election so we can choose whose plan to follow....

or just cancel brexit, lol 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    edited April 2019
    Skive said:
    Parliament shouldn't be playing party politics over such a big issue. I voted Leave but it's looking increasingly likely it won't happen. What would I like to see? A general election. I think it's the only way the deadlock might be broken and progress made.

i think ech party should come up with a brexit deal and then we have a general election so we can choose whose plan to follow....

A general election seems to be something a lot of MPs are fighting for @Skive. Interesting that you're after a similar thing too @jellyelephant. How likely do you think we are to get a general election before we leave (if we leave, since not leaving is still technically possible)?

edited April 2019
    Azziman said:
    At the moment, most of the country just wants the politicians to decide on something! Without any definite way forward, no one can plan ahead. Countries are not sure how their relationship with the UK changes, businesses and organisations aren't sure how to change their financial outlooks and projections, and people don't know what's in store for them. Even if it's a decision that people doesn't like, at least a definite answer allows them to prepare and plan. I think that's been the main source of frustration. Hopefully, it will be over soon!x
    Haha, I think a lot of people can relate to that one @Azziman! That need to just have SOMETHING confirmed, regardless of what, so we can actually work towards it and break the stalemate. You wrote this from the perspective of what the main frustrations are in the UK, but what's your view? If you don't mind sharing.
    edited April 2019
    Abigail said:
    Sadly I am going to have to hold my hands up and say I am following it for many reasons. Not happy with it all at all but let just hope she does resign if 1 of her deals get backed. 
    What would you be happy with, @Abigail

Millie2787 said:
    I’ll openly say that I have not go s clue what’s going on and I don’t think I ever have - it’s been quite a confusing process that everytime I try to make sense of it frazzle my brain even more 
    That's understandable @Millie2787! It's a very complex issue, I don't think anyone fully understands the ramifications of leaving the EU. Is it something you wish you knew more about, or would you say you're happy staying out of it?
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    I think @Mike judying by everything I’ve seen and the tiny bits I understand I’m kinda glad I don’t understand it becuase it’s just seems like a huge mess from the bits I can wrap my head around. Just seems to be a long process that they keep dragging out 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Mike said:
    Skive said:

A general election seems to be something a lot of MPs are fighting for @Skive. Interesting that you're after a similar thing too @jellyelephant. How likely do you think we are to get a general election before we leave (if we leave, since not leaving is still technically possible)?

I think the Tories will avoid a general election at all costs, and that's why May has now reached out to Corbyn to work on a deal - but that suits me for now. I'm a Leave voting Labour member and would love to see a Coryn led government, but the pressing issue for now is breaking the deadlock over Brexit.
    Weekender Offender 
    The older generation who have the vote its wont effect them as much but the younger generation which its effecting is struggling. New parents are struggling with price rise of items as the value of the pound has changed. Personally its the board issue in Ireland due to there History from Ireland as I know families who shop in northern Ireland but live in Ireland. So its going to effect so many, we should just suck it and stay in the EU and hey so what if the UK has to pay more to be in EU at least its normal for everyone. Does my head in at the moment that all I see in the new is brexit when actually there is bigger shit going on like knife crime, mental health services being stretched to breaking point and so much more import crap than Brexit 24/7 (Isn't that what sky news is for to cover brexit 24/7?) 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
    Older people have worked and paid into public coffers their entire lives. They are as entitled to be represented as much as anybody else. Brexit is hugely important. 
    Weekender Offender 
  • HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    edited April 2019
    Saw a brilliant tweet today from Steph McGovern who summed this whole situation up perfectly. Someone had pointed out her wiki page said she was 47 when in fact she's 36 so she said that she was 36 in human years, but 47 in Brexit years! Dread to think Theresa May's Brexit age =)

Totally agree with you @Abigail that it's really frustrating to see MPs not debating a whole host of other important issues because Brexit is eating up such a massive amount of government time. I get it's important, but so are a whole host of other issues.
    Post edited by HarryT on
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
    Saw a brilliant tweet today from Steph McGovern who summed this whole situation up perfectly. Someone had pointed out her wiki page said she was 47 when in fact she's 46 so she said that she was 36 in human years, but 47 in Brexit years! Dread to think Theresa May's Brexit age
    Yes I saw that one and took me a minute to work out what she meant but she is so right Brexit isnt helping anyone at the moment.
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Brexit has me in despair and it seems to be going from bad to worst at the moment.... Theresa May clearly has no clue what she is doing, leavers and remainers are both unhappy with the way it is going and as far as I can see if we go through with this it is going to be very difficult for us economically for a while at least 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    From what bits I've seen on TV when I come home its a mess,  nobody knows what they're doing,  everyone is playing chicken. 

It's like a bunch of children bickering,  not agreeing,  they just want to be right they don't care what happens to the public.

Not overly happy Theresa will resign because rubbish deal,  no deal,  good deal,  staying in the EU,  she will leave us to deal with that damage she has made and get away,  makes my blood boil. 

I'm not hugely into politics never bother following it because my family will argue say and night with you out about it 😂 And I just enjoy living my life for the most part.

But the uncertainty as Aidan says is dividing people,  people are scared and it's not doing our countries mental health any favours 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    Best way I can think to describe it is Theresa May is acting like a disorganised schoolkid who leaves their homework until the morning that it's due. (That was never me, promise lol).

And now she's gone begging her teacher for an extension. The agony and playground bickering continues...
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    I have been following it and I agree that its an absolute mess.

I don't think artcile 50 should have been triggered in the first place with no clear plan. I think that reason it such a mess is because it was an awful idea in the first place. All the possible options seem to be about minimising harm, not creating any sort of value for our country.

I am a labour member and I voted remain. However, I think its unfair to pin all the blame on Theresa May, leavers such as Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg seem to be very loud, but awfully quiet when it actually comes to generating any useful ideas which are prectical could actually be implemented.
    Couldn't agree more @MsBingo. They're all really quick to say what they don't want, but I'm yet to hear anyone propose a constructive solution.