Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to change government policy?

ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
edited February 2019 in Politics & Debate
Hi Everyone,

I'm really enjoying reading about what your passionate about, where you get your information from and how you like to have your say.  You've all had some wonderful ideas and I am proud of the passion.  

So building on this, I am wondering if you did want to make a change to government policy where would you start?  

Whats the first point of call to make a change for you?  

Looking forward to discussing below :)

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
-
Brene Brown

Comments

• Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    When I tried to I wrote to my local MP and I started a petition 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Um, so the question is, if you wanted to make a change to a law or something, how would you try to do that? Lol sorry for the stupidity :joy: But if I've understood correct... I'd probably go for starting a petition. And I'd use clever wording to try to draw attention, open up minds and encourage (intelligent) debating about the issue.
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Tbh I'd probably contact a local MP directly because I have nooo idea how else you would go about doing this! The change in policy I have spoken about (for homelessness) has been proposed by one of the biggest charities to the government and nothing's changed yet so I wouldn't get in contact with an idea like that as I don't feel it would make a difference.

If it was something unique or local, maybe I would!
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    I've never actually thought about this and I've come to realise I wouldn't really know either.

I guess I would think about what I would want to change and then do my research as to where the law/policy currently stands. I would then think about what the problem is and what needs to be done to make a change. I'd outline this, with relevant quotes, to my local MP. Could also make a petition but a lot of the ones I've seen online, I never hear about the outcome so not sure how effective that would be. Other than that, I would try to raise awareness (talk it about on social media, blog about it, take it to the press) to get more people involved in campaigning for change.

Interesting to hear other people's thoughts!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    I agree with @Maisy about petitions. Nothing ever seems to change after them!

I would probably write to my local MP or email a journalist from a newspaper if it was a suitable topic!
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Writing to your local MP, getting involved in email campaigns, participating in government or university research - there are several avenues!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    edited March 2019
    Hiya all, it was really great to hear how you're all interacting with government policy already. I just wanted to update you on some work the @The Mix team are doing around this.

I've spent this weekend working with a cool bunch of organisations (DCMS, Policy Lab, BYC) who we're collaborating with to build a digital platform which will allow young people to have a say in government policy making consultations. We spent some time looking at your responses to this thread. They gave us a massive insight into how you try to influence government policy. This really helped us develop ideas to build a platforms that we hope will make doing this even easier. I also wanted to mention all your responses were kept totally anonymous - we didn't share your usernames, profiles or any details, so your information is safe!

It's a really exciting project and this certainly won't be the last you hear of it...we've got loads of cool plans to engage with you further! Thanks for all of the help - your responses were great! Anyone curious about the project just ask!
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨