Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

13yr old daughter

picklepickle Posts: 1 Just got here
edited January 2019 in Sex & Relationships
The title should say it all right? So I could right a novel but I won't, all I want and ask for is open and honesty yet that simple task can't be done, she is anxious girl anyway I've tried counselling through school and set up a private one but she refused both these. I have custody of her and have done since she was 2, I'm a dad that works full time and away at times and the strain then falls on my partner and it's driving a huge wedge in the family, any ideas?? Thanks darren 

Moved by Moderator
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• ArianaAriana Posts: 193 Trailblazer
    What's she doing that's so problematic exactly? I think at that age people naturally become a bit more closed off from their parents and want a bit more privacy, but are there other things as well?
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Heyy,

Do you know why she refuses to go to counselling? She may think she has done something bad or feel ashamed so i think asking her or saying that it isnt a bad thing would be good.
    or maybe start with family therapy so she doesnt feel like by herself? 

Im not too sure sorry. But wish you all the best
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Hi Darren

I'm sorry that your daughter is going through a difficult time. I can only imagine how scary it is as a parent to see her deal with anxiety at such a young age. I myself started experiencing anxiety and depression in my early teens so I can provide a little insight into what she might be going through. 

Often, there is a stigma attached to seeking therapy. She may feel like what she's experiencing isn't a big enough deal to receive counselling, she may feel ashamed or weak for needing to talk about her feelings. You can support her by being approachable, open and honest. Let her know there's nothing wrong with needing help and that you are there to make sure she's comfortable. Like @Shaunie said in the post above, family therapy is a good place to start.

Feel free to return to the thread with any other questions or concerns
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi Darren,

If your daughter refuses to cooperate, the truth is that not much can be done. Until she accepts the help, the services can't help unless she's a threat to herself or others.

What is she doing that worries you?

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.