Young Carers of The Mix, we need you! Tell us about your experiences of our services and give yourself a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers.
Want to tell us about your experiences using The Mix and be in with a chance of winning a £200 Amazon Voucher? Click here to go to our survey!

Book recommendations

Hi everyone! I’m Sarita and I joined the youth panel a few months ago. I came up with an idea to have a book list on the mix website for people to read that can give them support, whilst they are either awaiting therapy or if they decided they didn’t want to have therapy, the books can be anything to do with mental health. I was hoping some of you would give any recommendations to help me create this book list! The books need to be suitable for any ages between 8-25. Thanks for the help!!
Mama_U660

Comments

• EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 389 Rampant Poster
    Wonderful! I find I can relax with a book more than I can around people, just wondering, can the books be fiction? Or do they all have to be non-fiction self help books? :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Sunny ScotlandPosts: 2,434 Mega Poster
    Reasons to stay alive and notes on a nervous planet by Matt Haig :) Reasons to stay alive is my go to book lol

Can they be work books aswell? if so i'm currently doing one called How to be happy (or at least less sad) and finding it very useful :) 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Sarita
  • AzzimanAzziman Posts: 493 Rampant Poster
    Hi Sarita,

One author I love is Torey Hayden - she works as a counsellor and special education teacher, and writes about some experiences she's had. The first one I read was called "Silent Boy", which really got me interested in her books, but to be honest any of her books would be a good read!

Another one I recently picked up is "Out of the Dark" by Linda Caine and Dr Robin Royston - another really interesting book on mental health and recoveryx

Much love <3

Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal and Quiet by Susan Cain :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • SaritaSarita Posts: 4 Noob
    Thanks everyone for the help! Keep em coming!! They could be fiction books, any that you think would be worthwhile for people to read whilst going through tough times! It’s all open to suggestion for now I may have a main book list and then sub lists for other topics? 
  • TashM94TashM94 London 🐦Posts: 4 Noob
    Katie Piper: Things get better and Start your day with Katie.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Posts: 2,093 Mega Poster
    edited September 2018
    Its Kind of a funny story - about a boy in a teen pysc ward
    See how They Lie - about a teenage psychartic facilality
    I know what you did last summer - about summer berevament camp
    and jimmy cricket - in care and goes down wrong routes until his support worker mark helps
    i found myslef getting lost in these book so love to read them oveer and over
    You have a purpose.
    Be more Chill 
    and
    Dear Evan Hanson (Musical)
    :)
  • MikeMike Posts: 1,636 Staff Moderator
    It's awesome to see this thread taking off - what an awesome idea.

Just a heads up that I've moved this thread to Travel & Free Time where it fits a little better. :)

proceeds to lurk for further recommendations
    this too shall pass

---
    on holiday until the end of September
  • LaineLaine Llama Mama Posts: 1,333 Fanatical Poster
    I've tried many books myself but I'll list my favourites (these are all for anxiety)

Dare by Barry McDonagh is one of my absolute faves definitely helpful and isn't a hugely intellectual read you can understand it quite easily. It's definitely a hands on self help book so I would consider it for people who are willing and ready to improve.

Anxiety: Panicking about Panic by Joshua Fletcher is a great self help book for those new to anxiety who get debilitating anxiety. It's perfect for a recent diagnosis I read it when I first got diagnosed with my anxiety disorders it really explains the symptoms and your thoughts and normalises it so you don't feel so alienated or in danger. 

I've read loads I can send those over too of you want more :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈 

"Maybe it's not my weekend,  but it's gonna be my year" ~ All Time Low

"No one else is dealing with your demons, meaning maybe defeating them could be the beginning of your meaning friend" ~ TOP

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille
  • SaritaSarita Posts: 4 Noob
    Thank you everyone for the book recommendations I’ve started to put them together into two book lists ‘books for leisure’ and ‘books for understanding mental health’ both are to do with mental health if anyone has any ideas about what to properly call these topics or what topics/books to add please drop a message! 
  • Mama_U660Mama_U660 Posts: 11 Fast Newbie
    hey, i love this whole book idea im kind off a book worm so yeh i really need some book suggestions   :p ummm so far my favourite book is "looking for alaska"- John green