Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Book recommendations

SaritaSarita Posts: 4 Newbie
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi everyone! I’m Sarita and I joined the youth panel a few months ago. I came up with an idea to have a book list on the mix website for people to read that can give them support, whilst they are either awaiting therapy or if they decided they didn’t want to have therapy, the books can be anything to do with mental health. I was hoping some of you would give any recommendations to help me create this book list! The books need to be suitable for any ages between 8-25. Thanks for the help!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Wonderful! I find I can relax with a book more than I can around people, just wondering, can the books be fiction? Or do they all have to be non-fiction self help books? :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Reasons to stay alive and notes on a nervous planet by Matt Haig :) Reasons to stay alive is my go to book lol

Can they be work books aswell? if so i'm currently doing one called How to be happy (or at least less sad) and finding it very useful :) 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,809 Extreme Poster
    Hi Sarita,

One author I love is Torey Hayden - she works as a counsellor and special education teacher, and writes about some experiences she's had. The first one I read was called "Silent Boy", which really got me interested in her books, but to be honest any of her books would be a good read!

Another one I recently picked up is "Out of the Dark" by Linda Caine and Dr Robin Royston - another really interesting book on mental health and recoveryx

Much love <3

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email [email protected] with questions or concerns.
    Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal and Quiet by Susan Cain :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • SaritaSarita Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thanks everyone for the help! Keep em coming!! They could be fiction books, any that you think would be worthwhile for people to read whilst going through tough times! It’s all open to suggestion for now I may have a main book list and then sub lists for other topics? 
  • TashM94TashM94 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Katie Piper: Things get better and Start your day with Katie.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    edited September 2018
    Its Kind of a funny story - about a boy in a teen pysc ward
    See how They Lie - about a teenage psychartic facilality
    I know what you did last summer - about summer berevament camp
    and jimmy cricket - in care and goes down wrong routes until his support worker mark helps
    i found myslef getting lost in these book so love to read them oveer and over
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Be more Chill 
    and
    Dear Evan Hanson (Musical)
    :)
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,276 Part of The Furniture
    It's awesome to see this thread taking off - what an awesome idea.

Just a heads up that I've moved this thread to Travel & Free Time where it fits a little better. :)

proceeds to lurk for further recommendations
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I've tried many books myself but I'll list my favourites (these are all for anxiety)

Dare by Barry McDonagh is one of my absolute faves definitely helpful and isn't a hugely intellectual read you can understand it quite easily. It's definitely a hands on self help book so I would consider it for people who are willing and ready to improve.

Anxiety: Panicking about Panic by Joshua Fletcher is a great self help book for those new to anxiety who get debilitating anxiety. It's perfect for a recent diagnosis I read it when I first got diagnosed with my anxiety disorders it really explains the symptoms and your thoughts and normalises it so you don't feel so alienated or in danger. 

I've read loads I can send those over too of you want more :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • SaritaSarita Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thank you everyone for the book recommendations I’ve started to put them together into two book lists ‘books for leisure’ and ‘books for understanding mental health’ both are to do with mental health if anyone has any ideas about what to properly call these topics or what topics/books to add please drop a message! 
  • Mama_U660Mama_U660 Posts: 11 Settling in
    hey, i love this whole book idea im kind off a book worm so yeh i really need some book suggestions   :p ummm so far my favourite book is "looking for alaska"- John green
  • Ash1Ash1 Posts: 316 The Mix Regular
    Fast asleep- How to get a good nights rest by Dr Michael Mosley
    This is probably one of the only books I like. It's very informative and very helpful 🥰
    -Ash ❤
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,079 Part of The Furniture
    Thanks everyone for continuing to share your fabulous book ideas. They all sound really wonderful. Such a supportive thread. Please keep the book ideas coming :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email [email protected] with questions or concerns.
  • Ash1Ash1 Posts: 316 The Mix Regular
    Also The Giver, Inventing Elliot, and The Curious Incident Of The Dog in the Night-time
    -Ash 💕
  • AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
    I am currently reading a dystopian series the first book is called sythe its pretty unique but interesting once you get into it.
  • AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
    I wish I had found this thread sooner it will for sure inspire me to keep reading even during bust exam times.
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    The Last Ballad by Wiley Cash is one of the best books I've read, I really didn't think I'd enjoy it but it was amazing. It's based on true events about Ella May Wiggins and the union strike of the mills, really amazingly written.
  • RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    This is a great post to have!!

A few books that have really helped me:

- Lost connections - Johann Hari (explores how traumatic events can be a cause of depression)

- Women don't owe you pretty - Florence Given (self love and self belief)

- The Alchemist - Paulo Cuelho (a simple yet powerful fictional story with an insightful ending)

- Perfectly hidden depression - Robinson Rutherford (about people who don't show their depression, and don't have typical symptoms e.g. they able to shower, cook, work etc. The author is a therapist and gives real patient accounts. Very good if you hide your depression from everyone)

- The sun and her flowers - Rupi Kaur (poetry)

- The Midnight Library - Matt Haig (a fictional story about regretting your life decisions, and all the possible journeys you could have taken if you went back in time, and what they might lead to. TW suicide)

- Into the darkest corner - Elizabeth Haines (fictional TW abusive relationships, a good read if you have OCD)

- You are incredible just as you are - Emily Coxhead (an interactive self help book, she also does the happy newspaper which is all things good in the world - you can subscribe to the newspaper)
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,896 Community Veteran
    Just wanted to say that this is an amazing thread. I think for me eventhough I haven't properly read it through yet, I do like the book You Will Get Through This Night by Daniel Howell. It's a very good self help book and some of the things in there are very great to use :) .
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • fiona333fiona333 Posts: 141 Helping Hand
    Am I normal yet? by Holly Bourne about a girl who is recovering from her OCD and anxiety. It follows her journey through college whilst trying to navigate adolescence / early adulthood, relationships, and friendships amongst a few things. It’s a very realistic depiction of mental health, there’s parts of the book that are recovery diary entries and therapy homework. It’s part of a series which I’d would like to read more of.
    The perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chboksny - it was one of the first books I read that had a prevalent theme of mental health, at the time I was very ignorant, oblivious, and in denial to what happening with me. I remember reading the letters and it was almost as if I was writing them or I finally had a friend who understood me.

I reread both books during the summer before starting college and after having a really eye open experience with my mental health. They both felt very apt choices for reading, both hit very differently as I finally understood why I was so drawn and felt so connected to them.

I also love the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, always loved her work. I feel that people tend to read Plath almost entirely autographically, which I think is really reductive - the Bell Jar has some fascinating symbolism about food, fashion, conversations about civil war and the death penalty.
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,896 Community Veteran
    edited August 2022
    @fiona333 The Perks of being a Wallflower is such a brilliant book. At the time I also never really understood the meaning or themes, but it is so good and heartbreaking at times. The ending hit so hard.... :'(

I will have to check out that book Am I Normal Yet, its sounds very interesting and helpful. :)

Also another great book I read was Turtles All The Way Down by John Green. It has a similar plot to Am I Normal Yet by Holly Bourne, as it focuses on mental health and dealing with OCD and anxiety in high school. I found the book very fascinating at times and sad as well, as it also deals with themes of grief. There is a tw scene in the book which I found gut wrenching at times. It's good read if anyone is interested :)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films