Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nightclubbing

Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hello I just want to know about who has been to a nightclub so far and I want to know all of your experiences please as I am now 20 and still have never been to a nightclub before so I do not know what it is like really?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi Sholay09,

Now, I don't drink or smoke, so maybe my experience is a bit different, I'm not sure! But I've been to a club once before, and I found that it wasn't for me. To me, the floor was slippery, the place was crowded, the music wasn't to my taste, and it got a little boring after a while. But friends who enjoy clubbing mention that they meet new people, get to drink without being judged and enjoy the atmosphere. Having said that, there are nicer, less popular clubs, and there are plenty of clubs that play specific genres of music, so it's worth having a look around. Every person seems to have a different experience, even in the same placex

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Oh ok thank you for sharing your experience Azziman
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hi there @Sholay09

I'm a musician and belonged to a well known band that spent much of its time sharing gigs with DJs across Europe and up the the Netherlands where clubbing is most popular like at the GelreDome where we've gigged, a massive stadium in Arnhem. The atmosphere was electric, great waves of good vibes coming off the thousands of clubbers who had come to dance and merrily enjoy their drinks while the DJ played and we performed in-between. I played electric guitar or sax. Sometimes I was roped in to play bass. I don't drink while working. I like keeping a clear head. (Unlike my ex, but  we won't go there). I've played all the big night spots, but the more popular and posh the club, the more costly it will be. I love the club atmosphere. It's exciting! It's electric! And the music is high definition - fab! :p

I love Progressive Trance to listen and dance to. But a good club having its band (such as Bagga Bownz) will be great experience for clubbers. You can meet and make great friends if you're a regular clubber. Clubbing is a good way of making friends, especially if you're at a poplar venue and go every week/weekend as some do. Just be wary of bar prices though 'balloon' glasses of barman's specials can cost £15 a pop, but you get a lotta juice. :p

My experience of clubbers is they get 'into the zone' when Progressive Trance' and 'House' are played, for one can melt into the masses where the music can put us into a trance-like state of mind. In other words, pure joy! =)  Bars catered for all sorts, be they serving alcohol on non-alcoholic beverages but beware! There are and always will be recreational drugs! Many people into that scene can end up seriously ill because many of the substances may have been tampered with. Bearing in mind forum guidelines are strict on the forum, I cannot enter into further description except warn you to be very careful with recreational drugs.

Smaller clubs like in towns can be very select and the door price varies according to the club's popularity. London clubs are expensive and this is reflective on their clientele to be expected to dress smartly. London clubs expect designer clothes and fat wallets. The DJ may be well known, such as Theo Keating, Judge Jules (contracted to the BBC), DJ Yoda, DJ Toucan, Mark Ronson, in the Netherlands and London also Armin van Buren,  Okenfold and DJ Hype to name but a few. Just be aware that London is famous for its luxurious nightlife and the clubs are known for being extremely strict when it comes to their dress code.

I'll advise you to wear in-ear protectors. These filter the higher frequencies that can permpantly damage our hearing, even the sound of drums and percussion. Oh don't worry! You'' hear the bass all right, and the mid frequencies and upper highs, but you in-ear potectors also allow hearing conversation, they can cost up to about £20. Good investment into looking after your hearing (whereas like my ex, im IEMs costs thousands).

Clubbing attire for ladies doesn't have to cost you a fortune. Smart and sexy little black clubbing dresses with backs beautifully criss-crossed - WOW! You can never go wrong with a black dress. It screams sexy sophistication. I have 20 such dresses, love looking all sassy up there onstage with instruments. ;) Want to shine out  more? Wear sequinned dresses, sequins are always welcomed and have never gone out of fashion. Pants & Shirt - Don't fancy of wearing a dress or skirt? A nice pair of pants with a nice blouse can be an option as well. Never forget the heels to keep things elegant. I stall at how many pairs of heels I have. sixty-cough omg what a revelation! *blush*

Just spend as much as you can afford on a smark clubbing outfit. Google up some smart dresses. There's lots out there.

Ok summing up for London. When it comes to your guy's dress code, the best party outfit would be a fancy suit with nice shoes to compliment (NO sports shoes are EVER permitted in clubs, London or not). Designer jeans and a lovely crisply ironed shirt and smart polished leather shoes for him, ok? Guys' dress code is equally as important as our's.

Have a good time! Come back and tell us. =)

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2018
    Ive been to a few night clubs and it was great. I mean lot of times i either cant remember it because i get too drunk or i pre drink so much i dont even make it to the clubs lol. But is best to know your limits if you drink. 

But my best nights have been at night clubs. It gets boring if go too many times though. But is great astmphere, meet new people and just generally really good. Cant see myself enjoying it if i was sober though. But ive found that where i live the clubs are pretty shit and going to other towns are much better. 

Have you been yet? If not. I hope you enjoy it
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

A very useful and informative website (and it may have a weekly mag) showing London's latest attractions, special offers, films, clubs and clubbing events is Time Out.

I hope you find the website helpful.
    Best wishes,
    Mandy

• Russell ToresRussell Tores Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
    bring your own booze in a hip flask to save money
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Floxy said:

Bearing in mind forum guidelines are strict on the forum, I cannot enter into further description except warn you to be very careful with recreational drugs.

Really? I think these boards have always allowed open and honest disicussion regarding drug use of all kinds. It's a bit quiet now but there used to be some members and drug users in the drug forum that gave out excellent advice to those seeking information about drugs.
    Used to be a great place for us wreckheads to hang out too :)

With regards to the original post, I haven't been to a serious nightclub in years, butu sed to be massively into raving/clubbing at a lot of the Hardcore, Gabber, Hard Trance and D&B events all over the country back in the 90's and early 00's
    The type of places that have no dress code, with a large number of people taking ecstasy and drinking water instead of drinking alcoholic beverages. 
    The cheap, grab a granny type night clubs in town have never really been my thing, too many pretenious piss heads and people wanting to fight.

Nowadays I'm happier in pub beer garden with a couple of ciders and maybe a bit of smoke.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive said:
    Floxy said:

Bearing in mind forum guidelines are strict on the forum, I cannot enter into further description except warn you to be very careful with recreational drugs.

Really? I think these boards have always allowed open and honest disicussion regarding drug use of all kinds. It's a bit quiet now but there used to be some members and drug users in the drug forum that gave out excellent advice to those seeking information about drugs.
    Used to be a great place for us wreckheads to hang out too :)

Thanks, but I'm not referring to the forum. I'm talking about recreational drugs being toted as freely as Smarties in nightclubs and many such drugs have been tampered with. That's not just the UK.

You must miss the 'Golden Days' of the internet. 2003? or was it 2008? Bit before my time, but I daresay we could still make the internet 2018 greater if we tried. :)
    Floxy said:

Thanks, but I'm not referring to the forum. I'm talking about recreational drugs being toted as freely as Smarties in nightclubs and many such drugs have been tampered with. That's not just the UK.

You must miss the 'Golden Days' of the internet. 2003? or was it 2008? Bit before my time, but I daresay we could still make the internet 2018 greater if we tried. :)

Quality of recreational illegal drugs has always been a problem, making the term 'controlled substance' rather ironic. Sounds like a good arguemtn for decriminaliastion.

Before the rise of Facebook, Twitter and other social media this place was buzzing. What I miss more however is the days before the internet. The ability to access all information, everywhere at any time has completely destroyed sub culture.
    Weekender Offender 
    edited July 2018
    Skive said:
    Floxy said:

Quality of recreational illegal drugs has always been a problem, making the term 'controlled substance' rather ironic. Sounds like a good arguemtn for decriminaliastion.

Before the rise of Facebook, Twitter and other social media this place was buzzing. What I miss more however is the days before the internet. The ability to access all information, everywhere at any time has completely destroyed sub culture.
    Except there are still things to do, taking nightclubbing away for a moment we still have good pubs to enjoy a 'jar' and a smoke as aunty put it, exchanging views and to question everything, not just what the tv news and newspapers state as truth as aunty criticises. Then we can learn old crafts such as hedge laying and country crafts that are fast dying out. I'm all for that.

My aunt also told me to learn critical thinking because it's a highly important skill, especially today. She says the media being a popular culture tries to teach us to accept at face value what they tell us, but often it's false or distorted. Aunt Fiona is a wise lady.

But what you have @Skive is something very valuable, something my generation hasn't acquired yet, but will given time though it's a struggle. What you have is Life Experience. If you can help us young ones find our way through life, then you'll make us shine. And I'm certain of that.  :)

Skinshead, Punkss, Emo, Rockers, Mods, Ravers, Goth, Grunge, Townies, Skaters etc etc
    Where are have the subcultures gone? Where are the new ones?

Are we really left with hipsters and EDM? Everything is mediocre, bland and beige. People don't let themselves go and get off their tits any more at clubs, raves and festivals because every cunt has a mobile phone ready to captpure a pic of them. Adults are more likely to drink, do drugs and party then their kids ffs. I don't see kids dossing about anything like we used to. Where are they?

Lightweight generation.
    Weekender Offender 
    edited August 2018
    Skive said:
    Skinshead, Punkss, Emo, Rockers, Mods, Ravers, Goth, Grunge, Townies, Skaters etc etc
    Where are have the subcultures gone? Where are the new ones?

Are we really left with hipsters and EDM? Everything is mediocre, bland and beige. People don't let themselves go and get off their tits any more at clubs, raves and festivals because every cunt has a mobile phone ready to captpure a pic of them. Adults are more likely to drink, do drugs and party then their kids ffs. I don't see kids dossing about anything like we used to. Where are they?

Lightweight generation.
    Not where I live, @Skive

When not being so pathetically sick like I am now, I used travel a lot and this subculture still exists though most come out at night, it's true that what was is never going to return, mate. It's like Woodstock of the late 60's, and people of my mother's generation still enjoy their favourite music, pints of beer and smokes in the corner of tapas bars where musicians like I gig during evenings. My neighbour grows cannabis plants, and was a Goth. My late mother was a Hippie and we are lucky still having some of her gear.

Kids doss around, but not like they used to. Because as usual there's nothing to do except congregate. Like in Florence of Italy, staying out hanging together til the small wee hours. Except most of the folk in my area are out for a fortnight's bar crawling, spending their hard earned wages getting smashed and wankered every night. They're called tourists, and we avoid them. Go to Lisbon in Portugal and see the drug culture remains, the town police taking no notice and during the day, pickpockets operate to rip off cruise tourists too stupid to notice their wallet's gone. Or Palma late at night, the same drinking school clique of expats staying together. One guy I know, an albino, skates around wearing pink leopard skin tights, quite a sight. Quite lovely really as he's in his 50's. =)

Thankfully no hipsters in my part of the world, though. "Hoxton Twats with mullets" as my aunt acerbically comments. Deià may be for the wealthy elite where we live, but they're mostly artists, artisan individuals who live blithley according to their own rules. Good for them, I say. And nobody reading their phone as they walk along. Maybe this subculture hangs out after all? Artists, piss artists even. Maybe in London's Boho Soho in the twighlight hours? You may never get those who lived their subculture way back then. But there remains the stubborn few, and they're not buried yet. And me? Like my family who are kinda special, I dance to my own tune. :smirk:

• LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    I use to work in a nightclub some parts I loved some parts I hated like if I knew people that were under 18 that I didnt like I could get thrown out. I got free drinks. I perferred it when I first started and I was working with someone else. The parts I hated were when people were really drunk, I nearly got assulted.

I cant really add anything else to what everyone else has said because its all accurate. If you do go out make sure to stay with friends and have fun!🙂