Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Post-exam mental health nose dive

Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Options
    AbigailAbigail Posts: 818 Part of The Mix Family
    Does anyone else experience an extreme dip in mental health shortly  after finishing exams? It’s almost as if the stress all comes crashing down. Maybe it’s going from having substantial structure to... literally nothing. But also, having plans doesn’t seem to help. Who knows! Thoughts?
    Hi there. 
    Welcome to the boards. 

I can relate to you. It's never easy going from a structured day/week to nothing. Exam time can also be super stressful although some don't feel it, over the next few weeks could you find something to do to look after yourself? If not there here is some ideas

http://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/a-guide-to-self-care-15574.html

Do have a look round the boards as well as the site as a whole because we have got lots of great articles which might be able to help. 

Abi
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @Meloddymaybe

Totally get what you're talking about. It's like you're working towards a goal and are so focused that you forget about everything, then think oh god what do I do now exams are over.. Like what did I do with my life before?? I think it's because exams are important, then I always think well everything I do now in comparison is insignificant! Keep making plans and keeping on - I think it gets better with time and getting back into a 'normal' routine.  :3 
    - Lucy 
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    GretaGreta Deactivated Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Meloddymaybe,

Firstly, I would like to welcome you to the Mix's discussion boards! It's totally normal to experience some mental exhaustion after finishing exams. Going from a time of extreme structure and stress to all of a sudden have it stop can be difficult and confusing. You may find that you need somewhat of an adjustment period to get used to the change, as it may not be something you can get used to overnight.

You may find it helpful to take a look at some of the articles on self-care like Abigail mentioned and perhaps set aside certain times for you to practice these techniques to allow yourself to relax from all of the stress. Another option might be to look into activities that you can do at scheduled times each week to help adjust to post-exam life. Planning something to do at the same times each week might help to give you some of the structure that you were used to. For example, a weekly volunteer shift or extracurricular activity that would allow you to have a reliable schedule each week and something to look forward to. Could these be some things you think you might look into?

Remember that it's okay to feel this way as you adjust and that practicing self-care might help you counteract some of these feelings!

Best,
    Greta
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hi Meloddymaybe,

It may be because you've lost a couple of things once they are over. You lose the structure of lessons/exams, so that can feel a little unsettling. After months of work and revision, you've finally achieved the goal of finishing the exams (results are still to come, but that's just a waiting game now!), so having that sense of purpose end is also unsettling for mental wellbeing as well. And exams often signal the end of the school year (or even being at the school any more in the case of 11+/13+/GCSEs/A Levels etc), so that sense of finality could be it as well!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.