Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Age Gaps And Confiding In Someone?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should there be an issue in confiding with someone who is older than you?

Does age matter?

Thanks guys xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry, just realised the typo on the thread title, silly me!x
  • StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    hey hannah,

Not sure if you've already seen our article about Age Gaps? Could you say a bit more about what you mean by confiding in someone older?

I can edit the title of your thread for you, no worries :)
    Thank you for editing the title for me-It doesn't look silly now!

Not in a relationship kind of way but more in a friendly, supportive way. For Example, turning to and confiding in a 43 year old friend/colleague when I am 19?

I wanted to reply sooner but I've continued to have a lot going on....x
  • RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    Hey Hannah, how are things going?
    In my personal opinion, confiding in an older friend is fine. When I was around 18 I met a friend who I count as family now, they was 30 ish at the time, and feel confiding in them is fine. A lot of the people I've confided in, in the past and to this day are older than me. So to answer your question, I think confiding in an older person, regardless of the age gap is fine.

Is there anything else you need help with?
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 611 Incredible Poster
    Hey Hannah,

​I think that as long as you feel comfortable and trust the other person, there is nothing wrong with confiding in someone much older than you. Throughout my teen years and even now in my 20s I have confided in someone more than double my age, as I saw them as a supportive person.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Rhys wrote: »
    Hey Hannah, how are things going?
    In my personal opinion, confiding in an older friend is fine. When I was around 18 I met a friend who I count as family now, they was 30 ish at the time, and feel confiding in them is fine. A lot of the people I've confided in, in the past and to this day are older than me. So to answer your question, I think confiding in an older person, regardless of the age gap is fine.

Is there anything else you need help with?

Thank you so much for replying to me although I am sorry it's taken so long to reply. Its been a rough few months, yet again.

I see it that way as well but it hurts when people disagree with it and make it sound as though it is a bad thing...
    Maisy wrote: »
    Hey Hannah,

​I think that as long as you feel comfortable and trust the other person, there is nothing wrong with confiding in someone much older than you. Throughout my teen years and even now in my 20s I have confided in someone more than double my age, as I saw them as a supportive person.

Thank you!

Exactly!Confiding in someone older than us can show us that there is possibilities for things to change as well as for things to get better.Confiding in people older than us gives us a role model...x