Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Results of the longest weight gain/weight loss research ever done

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    so basically, eat any sugar and youll never feel full and will get fat

No, because in sucrose is glucose too, and this one makes you full. And apparently when you went through your cabinet before they use glucose syrup too to sweeten stuff. Table sugar is the "lesser evil", because only half of it is fruit sugar and I could repeat myself for the 5th time and say: There is no problem with foods that have lots of other nutrients in it, because that way you will be full and not take too much fruit sugar into you. Note that there is no safe limit of how much fruit sugar you can take in tho. It is always poisonous, but if you don't eat tons of processed food that has an overwhelming content of it (and you WILL eat tons if fructose is the overwhelming content of it), you will get your heart attack with 80 and not with 50.

Of course you will say now, LOL BUT STRUBBLES. EVERYTHING IS BAD FOR YOU IF YOU EAT JUST THAT AND NOTHING ELSE!

but then I will repeat myself about the way how much more poisonous fructose is and the characteristics and evil cycle of it, which no other 'nutrient' shows. The video is still right here, but if you like to argue one and a half hour about the topic, but not take the time to actually watch it to learn something, be my guest.
  • Options
    I think we're all talking at cross-purposes here.

A calorie is a measurement of energy, it isn't anything else. If you consume more calories than you use, you put on weight. IT doesn't matter if the excess calories come from celery, Sunny Delight or chocolate; more calories in than burned out equals fat.

You are right in that what we eat affects how much we eat, because different foods have different amounts of energy in them. Chocolate has a lot of energy in it without a lot of mass, so you eat a lot of chocolate before you feel full. Certain additives (fructose syrup and hydrogentated fat are the main culprits) screw up your metabolism. An entire tub of cottage cheese has the same energy in it as a Mars bar, but will leave you feeling stuffed. None of that is in doubt.

But the simple fact is that people who consume too many calories for what they burn off put on fat, and those who consume fewer calories than they burn lose fat. To a large extent, fat determines weight. What you are saying doesn't dispute this, it simply highlights that some foods are better for you than others because some foods fill you up and some don't; some boost your metabolism and some wreck it. What you are saying doesn't contradict the fact that the person who consumes a 900kcal Starbucks or a 1000kcal McDonald's will lose fat if that is all they consume.
  • Options
    what im seeing from what youre saying is just that certain foods arent as satisfying.

That in itself isnt making people fat though. Its still overeating that makes people fat.

everyone knows that you eat a mcdonalds and youre hungry again an hour or two later. The trick is to know when thats tough shit, youve had your meal.
    Somethings not very satisfying so you have another one and another. Thats still the fault of the person shovelling it down their throat
  • Options
    what im seeing from what youre saying is just that certain foods arent as satisfying.

That in itself isnt making people fat though. Its still overeating that makes people fat.

everyone knows that you eat a mcdonalds and youre hungry again an hour or two later. The trick is to know when thats tough shit, youve had your meal.
    Somethings not very satisfying so you have another one and another. Thats still the fault of the person shovelling it down their throat

Well, yea, but it is your fault for smoking too, so better suck it up and quit and don't ask for any help. Ultimately it is ALWAYS your, or people's fault (when a corrupt politician is re-elected). Still, my point stands that certain processed foods make you lethally sick over time and they know it, but they chose to utilize the people's ignorance against themselved. And while it might not be such a huge problem here, a test showed that 31 of 32 breads contain HFCS in a random supermarket in the US, so what are you gonna do? Least you could do is make people aware and this is what I tried to do. And show people that it's not the super simply "eat less fatty food.", because chances are (by the amount of how fat content in food went down over the years significantly, while obesity numbers are rising), this is not the culprit, but the sugar is, more detailed: fructose.

Of course it is always your fault for i.e. overeating and not being informed, but if you don't know what causes you to overeat, or eat normally and starve all the time, and on the side cause horrific health issues and 'eating addictions' (for the lack of the official term), like nicotine causes addiction (and don't tell me every smoker is happy with the fact he is smoking, we still don't tell them 'welp, your fault for starting. suck it up, manbaby').

So while your point stands, that more calories in than out = gaining weight, my point stands that it is like saying "tomorrow the sun will rise again." While being true, it is oversimplified and far too inaccurate.
  • Options
    but theres a difference between not feeling fully satisfied, and starving all the time. The hormone that overrides you feeling full, doesnt necessarily mean that youll be starving after eating something with fruit sugar in it.

I just think its more of the same finding excuses for peoples gluttony. big business.
  • Options
    People who want to quit smoking will quit smoking. People who want to start eating sensibly and lose weight will do so. Beyond that, we're into finding reasons. Some reasons are valid and some are just excuses. That's life.

Foods containing fructose syrup and hydrogenated fat and the like are generally highly processed foods. Your fresh fruit and vegetables don't have them pumped in. People know- or should know- that most processed food is full of shit.
  • Options
    and obesity is epidemic in the whole western world, yet the added fructose in foods, is only an issue in america, where they also have massive massive portion sizes
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Already in the first 10 minutes a few myths are debunked that are frequently given out for advice here for people who want to lose weight.

Such as?
  • Options
    Such as?

Often times I see adviced "cut out fats and fatty foods." The Atkins diet consists of eating fats but no carbs and the japanese diet of just carbs and no fat. Which is pretty much the opposite. Yet both work, because they eliminate the sugar fructose. I just think overeating is virtually a non-issue if you are eating almost no fructose, because you will be so full you rather explode than taking another bite.

That it's always your own fault, for overeating, which I don't think it is. The US, Oz, Japan, China, Korea, etc. have an epidemy of obese 6-months olds, and I very much doubt those kids chose to be fat. If the leptin, the proteohormone that regulates food intake would still work like it did twenty years ago, nobody would overeat. I cannot imagine a person who is completely full and continues eating. You will barf. Those people are no gluttons, they are physically sick.

There are some not so clear ones, under the lines. Like "treat yourself with chocolate" or something, which of course works if you have the willpower and just eat less in adjustment. But I don't count willpower alone to be enough to lose weight for most people. People wouldn't be coming here to ask about it, and self-helping weight loss groups would be rendered obsolete. This whole "calory in < calory out" thing, etc.
  • Options
    they dont both work because they eliminate fructose. They work because theyre low calorie, and both are high protein diets, which keep you fuller for longer.

There are other diets that also work very very well that dont eliminate fructose
  • Options
    and also on one hand youre saying the japanese diet eliminates fructose, then next you list japan as one of the countries with an epidemic of obese 6mth olds.

I dont think anywhere has an epidemic of obese 6 month olds tbh. The majority of 6mth olds around the world are going to be barely on baby rice and milk, not on a high fructose pizza diet.

im glad you feel youve discovered something amazing in this guy, but i think its completely missing the obvious, and attributing it to something else.

Weight loss and weight gain is a very very simple issue, that people love to overcomplicate, which annoys me
  • Options
    I just think overeating is virtually a non-issue if you are eating almost no fructose, because you will be so full you rather explode than taking another bite.

And thats not true either. I know plenty of very overweight people who eat entirely home cooked/home made nutritious non processed food but are overweight because they have no idea of appropriate portion sizes and snack too much
  • Options
  • Options
    I dont think anywhere has an epidemic of obese 6 month olds tbh.

Not entirely sure I agree with you there. There are a lot of babies being overfed formula milk and that's making them fatter than they should be. But as there's no fructose syrup in baby formula that can't be the reason.
  • Options
    Not entirely sure I agree with you there. There are a lot of babies being overfed formula milk and that's making them fatter than they should be. But as there's no fructose syrup in baby formula that can't be the reason.

but there is table sugar in it. a lot of it. (= glucose + fructose)
  • Options
    i dont think babies being fat is generally a problem. A fat baby is much less worrying than a skinny baby. Babies do not all fit on the 50th centile, and my middle boy was the size of a 6mth old at 6 weeks while exclusively breastfed. I dont think babies being big or small has got any relation to any obesity epidemic and we should leave them out of it. Theyre babies ffs, and if a baby is hungry it needs feeding
  • Options
    I was more referring to people who make sure their babies feed the whole bottle even if they're not hungry. It does happen.

SB was bottle-fed and she's roughly on the 25th centile, so there goes the theory that formula makes babies fat.
  • Options
    I dont think anywhere has an epidemic of obese 6 month olds tbh. The majority of 6mth olds around the world are going to be barely on baby rice and milk, not on a high fructose pizza diet.

[...]

i dont think babies being fat is generally a problem.
    I dont think babies being big or small has got any relation to any obesity epidemic and we should leave them out of it. Theyre babies ffs, and if a baby is hungry it needs feeding

well, glad you can discard factual evidence with the example of your own 3 children and by 'what you think', but unfortunately he did not pull the statistics out of his ass. Yes, if baby is hungry feed it, but feed it what? Surely there are bad foods too, like highly sugared formulas. And obesity is unfortunately a bit more than being a big baby. It has a big impact on health, like being a big factor if the person gets diabetes later and others, which I am not going to regurgitate here.
    and obesity is epidemic in the whole western world, yet the added fructose in foods, is only an issue in america, where they also have massive massive portion sizes

Added fructose as in HFCS is not only an issue in america. I mentioned that, and other countries that do so before.
    they dont both work because they eliminate fructose. They work because theyre low calorie, and both are high protein diets, which keep you fuller for longer.

proteins and carbs have pretty much the same calorific value, so there goes your "low calory high protein" diet. I can eat low calory with glucose (like in starch; potatoes) too. If I eat a spoon of glucose I take the calorific value of one spoon of glucose into me. If I eat a spoon of table sugar I take more than double the calories in, while being told by my brain I just had an amount equal the calorific value of glucose, so I am as hungry while "eating" double. Of course they don't advertise with "we cut out fructose", but both do it unwittingly and has nothing to do with a protein diet, which fills you and brings the same energy as carbs (as in starch, not sugar).
    And thats not true either. I know plenty of very overweight people who eat entirely home cooked/home made nutritious non processed food but are overweight because they have no idea of appropriate portion sizes and snack too much

Yes, snack what by chance? Maybe heavily sugared (wait for it.... fructose) things? Yea, of course there might be the odd ones who can really eat a lot because of an oversized stomach and condition themselves to gorge vast amounts of food, but I don't think those belong to the majority and are significant.
    and also on one hand youre saying the japanese diet eliminates fructose, then next you list japan as one of the countries with an epidemic of obese 6mth olds.

:rolleyes: Where is the contradiction?

The japanese diet is called that way, because it founded by someone in Japan, not because all japanese people eat like that. The Atkins diet isn't call Atkins diet, because only people with the surname of Atkins go with it. And yes, japan sweetens with HFCS too and I did list it as a country with an epidemic of obese 6 months old, and statistics show that this is true, regardless of what you think is the case or not.
  • Options
    proteins and carbs have pretty much the same calorific value, so there goes your "low calory high protein" diet.

Calories in 100g chicken breast (no skin): 171
    Calories in 100g cottage cheese (low fat): 114
    Calories in 100g penne pasta (plain, no sauce): 352
    Calories in 100g basmati rice (plain, no sauce): 349

What was that you were saying about protein and carbohydrate being the same in terms of calorific value?

Potatoes, like most vegetables/tubers, are primarily starch not carbohydrate.
  • Options
    you need both carbs and protein in your diet though.

All i am saying is that its not sugar or glucose or any one type of food in particular that will make you gain weight unless you eat too much of it.

If you ate your recommended daily intake or under, entirely from spoons of sugar, you would not put on weight. You might not feel healthy and satisfied, but you wouldnt gain.

If you ate way over your daily recommended intake consistently then you would put on weight, even if your diet was beautifully clean and nutritious.

There is no magic food. No evil food, and no magic formulas. Physical Weight loss and weight gain is SIMPLE. I have no idea why people overcomplicate things.

of course psychogical issues run a lot deeper and there are many reasons people overeat and it can be a hard habit to break, thats for sure.
    Its not rocket science that some foods fill you up better than others, and if you spend your days eating nothing but high GI foods, youll feel unsatisfied and feel like you need to eat more than if you were eating low GI, but sugar isnt the only high GI food, and its not some awful food. It can be very useful
  • Options
    Calories in 100g chicken breast (no skin): 171
    Calories in 100g cottage cheese (low fat): 114
    Calories in 100g penne pasta (plain, no sauce): 352
    Calories in 100g basmati rice (plain, no sauce): 349

What was that you were saying about protein and carbohydrate being the same in terms of calorific value?

Potatoes, like most vegetables/tubers, are primarily starch not carbohydrate.

Yes mate, but chicken breast does not consist 100% of protein. Instead of looking at some recipe sites, maybe look at actual calorific data of protein and carbohydrates.

I cannot look up english results without changing my geographical options in windows, (google automatically sends me to german findings), so I will translate.
    1 g Fett 37 kJ (9 kcal)
    1 g Kohlenhydrate 17 kJ (4 kcal)
    1 g Protein 17 kJ (4 kcal)

means.
    1g fat = 9 kcal
    1g carbohydrates = 4 kcal
    1g protein = 4kcal

potatoes are primarily starch, yes. Starch is a carbohydrate, however, duh. or otherwise called carbs (a polysaccharide) made from single glucose units.

What was it again what you were saying?

@suzy
    And yes, and I am done here too, because if you are so learn resistant to actually argue hours and discard statistic and evidence, instead of just watching what might disprove your household wisdom (*cough* homeopathy thread *cough*) then there is really no helping you. Yes, you will keep on living, and yes, you will probably not become obese. I never claimed that this vid changes EVERYTHING, but it gives valuable information and understanding for disastrous health impacts of our diet that were not fully understood before, that you apparently are not interested in, because you knew better from the get go.
  • Options
    nor is pasta and rice 100% carbs, but the point is still the same. You wont get a food more protein packed than a piece of chicken, nor more carby than pasta or bread
  • Options
    im not discarding all statistics and evidence, im just arguing that your youtube video might not actually be the one and only simple answer to weight loss, when from what i can see, it isnt.

It looks to me like youre saying you wont get fat if you dont eat food with corn syrup added. Well theres a hell of a lot of people who do get fat without doing that. That those sort of foods arent a great diet choice, im not disputing. All im saying is they wont make you fat in themselves UNLESS YOU OVER-EAT THEM.

Dieting and weightloss and what works and what doesnt, is something i know more about than is probably healthy