Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Results of the longest weight gain/weight loss research ever done

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&feature=youtu.be

People who want to lose weight might want to watch this. Actually, every person who eats should watch this. Already in the first 10 minutes a few myths are debunked that are frequently given out for advice here for people who want to lose weight.

Very interesting. Is an hour and a half long, but I think it's worth it.

Comments

• Options
    Meh
  • Options
    i didnt watch it once you mentioned it was an hour and a half, but the only weight loss method that works is cutting intake and increasing output
  • Options
    ^ Agreed...

I don't have time to watch it now... may do later. :)
  • Options
    i didnt watch it once you mentioned it was an hour and a half, but the only weight loss method that works is cutting intake and increasing output

Yea, that's a no-brainer. But it is explained why this is can be very difficult if you eat the wrong things. I don't think UK sweetens all their stuff with high fructose corn syrup like the USA does, but basically, in very short words. Fructose (fruit sugar, but it's in normal household sugar too) is differently metabolized than Glucose (like a fat, not like a sugar). It does not trigger the hunger hormone, basically leaving the brain "starving" (i.e. you eat more), you get fatter (because of the way it is metabolized and not triggering insulin), leaving you with a high concentration of low density lipoproteins (sooner or later guaranteed cardiovascular diseases), high conenctration of urea acid (gout), more hunger, hypertension and type 2 diabetes.

And yes, it affects children (fed with formula [sweetened]) and even the unborn child through the diet of the mother. The professor called Fructose rightly a toxin.

But let's not learn something about our health, Glee is on!
  • Options
    I am not watching 1.5 hours worth. Can you just give me the jist?
  • Options
    Good video.
    I am not watching 1.5 hours worth. Can you just give me the jist?

Advice advocating a low fat diet as healthy and a good way of losing weight is flawed and based on a dodgy and incomplete statistical analysis from the 70s, and a load of biology stuff to back up.
  • Options
    And knocking sugar?
  • Options
    I have no desire to watch the video, but the jist seems to be common sense. Obsessing about fat intake alone is ludicrous, US additives to food are bad for you, and too much intake of anything will make you fat.

A diet should be balanced and low in saturated fat for optimum health. Wittering on about fructose doesn't change that.

A friend of mine (a bread monster) is now with Slimming World. They tell her the carbs are "free", meaning you can eat as much as you want, which is clearly stupid.
  • Options
    if you do your best to eliminate fructose,while not worrying about fat and other high calorie foods, then youre onto a losing battle.

Fructose or any sugar can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. The ONLY thing that matters is whether you overdo it and whether your calorie intake exceeds your needs. You can eat a mars bar for every meal and lose weight.
  • Options
    I should have added in the title that it is MUCH more than gaining and losing weight, but generally health. Like said before the lecturer (professor and medical doctor) calls Fructose rightfully toxic, because of several reasons i mentioned before. Fats are generally not the big problem, why? Because they burn for a LOT of energy and you will very soon be satiated and be physically hindered to eat more. While Fructose does not trigger the food hormone that lets the brain know "I had enough to eat." Causing a vicious cycle, of becoming RESISTANT to leptin (hunger hormone), thus eating and craving more of it, while becoming more and more seriously ill.

A calory isn't simply a calory, so "More out than goes in" is way to oversimplified.

10 weeks is nothing. The damage dealt is severe but slowly. and he ate a whole can of beans and 3-4 celery stalks daily(!). That's loads of fibre. He would be starving by just eating a twinkie every three hours. Oh no, wait, I am convinced. A single incident is much more convincing.
  • Options
    A calorie is a measurement of energy; nothing more, nothing less. If you consume more energy than you use, your body stores the remaining energy as fat. If you use more energy than you consume, your body uses up its reserves of fat.

I'm over-simplifying it, but not by a great deal. What you are claiming, rightly, is that different foods release energy in different ways. Fructose releases energy quickly, making it more likely that your body will turn the excess energy to fat, whereas other foods release energy slowly. But at the end of each day or week, when everything balances, if you have consumed more energy than you've burned off, you'll be putting on fat and if you don't you won't.

What fructose does is make you overeat. The problem still remains the over-eating.
  • Options
    A friend of mine (a bread monster) is now with Slimming World. They tell her the carbs are "free", meaning you can eat as much as you want, which is clearly stupid.

I do Slimming World too. Some carbs are free, but bread isn't. There are some other rules attached though which mean that you still lose weight. E.g. a third of what you eat has to be fruit and veg at every meal so you can't just eat loads of pasta by itself. Slimming World's "free" foods do seem too good to be true but they are basically low energy density foods that fill you up thus llimiting the total number of calories you consume and it does work. At my group the losses are really good every week and I've lost lots of weight following this diet so I don't think it's stupid.
  • Options
    I understand that the fillings and toppings are where the points are, I just find it really odd that things like white pasta are considered "free". FWIW Weight Watchers' points system (free fruit and veg) seems much more sensible, although there is always the problem of the carb-tastic banana.

I'm not against any diet company, if they encourage healthy eating and weight loss then fair play to them. I used a website which did a similar thing for a while, to try and control my poor diet, and it worked wonders for me. Although I have now plateaued a bit, need to sort that one out.
  • Options
    CAKE cut it in half, half the calories, so you can have twice as much <3
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »

A calory isn't simply a calory, so "More out than goes in" is way to oversimplified.

no its not. Thats all it is if youre talking about losing or gaining weight. It IS that simple.
    Its better to eat a balanced diet, for many reasons, one being its easier to keep satisfied and keep your self control if youre eating balanced, but if you just want to get a few pounds off, calories are ALL that matters
  • Options
    if youre meaning that its less easy to stick to a calorie controlled diet if youre eating a lot of food with added sugar/fructose/whatever, then yes, that could be true, but willpower and self control aside, all i mean is the facts are the same. Energy in vs energy out. The difficulty comes if youre purely using your appetite to decide what to eat and when, and certain foods will of course be less filling, or be trigger foods to make you want to eat more than you would if you hadnt eaten them
  • Options
    ~
  • Options
    ~
  • Options
    so its really only relevant to the US where corn syrup is added, and not to UK slimmers?
  • Options
    so would it be true that fruit would make people feel ravenous rather than being a healthy snack?
  • Options
    interesting
  • Options
    so would it be true that fruit would make people feel ravenous rather than being a healthy snack?

He furthermore points out that it's the balance between the sugar and other nutrients. Fruit has a lot of fibre too, that satiates you. For some reason he did not go into, he tells the US eliminates almost all fibre from processed food (I think it is because of freezing and shelf life, and therefore making it able to export it, which is a huge income for the US), so the overwhelming majority of calories you take in is from Fructose in processed foods. He gives the example if you are just eating stuff like it comes out of the earth you would cure diabetes type 2 very soon, because fructose to and fro, you simply cannot eat that much if there are other nutrients that satiate you. It is, I repeat, in processed foods, and in the US 95% of everything is sweetened with it to a degree that those people eat about 10 times the amount of sugar per year than hundred years ago. And even if it is not HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), normal table sugar contains fructose too.

Like I said, I don't know with what the UK sweetens it's stuff but HFCS is the big deal in Japan too, so maybe you have it too, or at least in imported foods and it makes sense to check from time to time what is in the stuff you are buying, because you might literally poison yourself or your child (even unborn) slowly but almost irreversibly.
  • Options
    table sugar in the UK is sucrose - cane sugar, and from what i can see looking at some processed stuff in my cupboards, if they are sweetened, it usually just says sugar or glucose syrup, although my alpen light bars say probiotic ologofructose syrup. I think maize is much more of a common crop in the US, so it would make sense that they would use it a lot more for everything. Corn allergies are also quite a problem in the US I believe because of over exposure.

Thinking about it a bit more. I wonder if part of the problem with people who have a problem with weight, is maybe expecting to feel fully sated at every meal. Expecting your body to tell you when to stop. Ties up a bit with the OP about this ingredient overriding the bodys satiety hormone, but really, who expects to be full up from every meal?
  • Options

Thinking about it a bit more. I wonder if part of the problem with people who have a problem with weight, is maybe expecting to feel fully sated at every meal. Expecting your body to tell you when to stop. Ties up a bit with the OP about this ingredient overriding the bodys satiety hormone, but really, who expects to be full up from every meal?

It is facing a extreme here, concerning satiety. Because of the elimination of fibre and starch and the reduction of fat over the years there is not much in it that satiates you. I have never been to the US but friends tell me the meal sizes are RIDICULOUS over there. And when you have a 1000 kcal coke at a McDs, which is purely sweetened by fructose, it makes you actually eat MORE than less. So I guess even being halfway satiated is already had you gorged down too much food. But you are right of course. The doctor recommend waiting 15 minutes before get second helpings.
  • Options
    table sugar in the UK is sucrose - cane sugar, and from what i can see looking at some processed stuff in my cupboards, if they are sweetened, it usually just says sugar or glucose syrup, although my alpen light bars say probiotic ologofructose syrup. I think maize is much more of a common crop in the US, so it would make sense that they would use it a lot more for everything. Corn allergies are also quite a problem in the US I believe because of over exposure.

Sucrose is turned into glucose and fructose by the enzyme sucrase. He states it's virtually the same as the syrup in the video.
  • Options
    sucrose is not turned into fructose.
  • Options
    sucrose is not turned into fructose.

360px-Sucrase.jpg
  • Options
    fructose is fruit sugar no?
  • Options