Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dragon Age

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Best RPG ever? Discuss folks :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote: »
    Best RPG ever? Discuss folks :)

Haven't finished it yet (40 hrs in and I've done 25%!!!), but its shaping up nicely - love the little conversations between the party members as you travel (especially Morrigan and Alistair), good combat, great story, well characterised, lots to do.

But will it beat Planescape Torment - the jury is still out on that?

Still it has to be the best RPG of thiss century and with a good chance for all-time game of the decade
    I've only just started. I'm liking the story so far but having trouble controlling the combat. Would like the team not to run off the screen chasing enemies.
    Quick summary for the uninitiated please?
    First things first -

Mist, take a look at the tacitcs screen - you've basically got two choices - set the party to stay on the spot enless the tactics tell them to do something else and rely on directing them at enemies, or set up an 'enemy > any > attack' command - which means they will attack everything. Ther default options also make a difference, changing whether they stay at range, heal, avoid tough bad guys, help others, etc...

It's a bit of a trade off at the start, though it's worth picking up Wynn as a companion to see just how much you can do with a character with 10+ tactics options.

Woooooooooah, its a new RPG from bioware - the company behind Mass Effect and previously Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale along with the little loved at the time masterpiece Planetscape: Torment.

It's a 3D rpg with graphics about as good or sometimes better than World of Warcraft - especially on PC. What makes it stand out is the interactions with the world - as a single player game your effect on the game is huge, allowing you to change a great deal in the plot.

As a - geek salute - former pen and paper RPG player I really don't feel I've seen anything that really feels like an RPG on computer before, a wonderful, frustrating, beautiful, confusing and brilliant experience.

I really think, if I make it so far, I'll sit in my OAP home at 90, shit down the IV web feed, dig out my old PC emulator, turn off the holographic screen and live 'in-eyes' feed and turn on Dragon Age one more time, and for the 100th time - just to see what else can be done differently.

Oh and Flashman - find the way to trade elfroot for xp? I feel bad even using it - and the percentage does cover all possible playthroughs - so even though it seems low it doesn't mean you've got another 120 hours to go (sadly :( )
    Oh and Flashman - find the way to trade elfroot for xp? I feel bad even using it - and the percentage does cover all possible playthroughs - so even though it seems low it doesn't mean you've got another 120 hours to go (sadly :( )

I use my elfroot for potions. Apart from selling it can you do anything else?

I assume the % is main story and I've been doing a lot of sidequests and reading the codex. Still the reviews talk about 40-70 hours (and that if you play as a different character its a very different experience so worth replaying). Pretty good value for £39.99 (Bioware geek that I am I felt it worth to splash out the extra £5 on the collectors edition).

And given that we've been talking about computer games and moral dilemma's I'm now at the point where my two girl friends are givimg me ultimations one or the other (please, please tell me there's a way to get them a threesome or else I'm going to have another difficult decision on my hands)

I'll have to wait for the end to see if it tops Planescape Torment, but unless it suddenly goes radically downhill, it's going to be close.
    Also in geeky mode I have to correct Jim, Planescape Torment was by Black Isle and published by Interplay. It used the Bioware engine, but they didn't make the game. And even more geekily its Planescape Torment, not Planetscape Torment.

Sorry, geek mode off :(
    doh!
    On the elfroot front - you can use various items to improve your armies and recieve xp at camp - however of all the items you can trade in, elfroot is cheap and available in unlimited supplies at the Dalish camp...
    On the elfroot front - you can use various items to improve your armies and recieve xp at camp - however of all the items you can trade in, elfroot is cheap and available in unlimited supplies at the Dalish camp...

I hadn't worked out how to do that - they all say they need stuff, but I can't work out how to give it to them (I'm probably being really thick)
    Just in front of the line of emissaries is a pile of supply crates - right click that and you get dialogue options to improve the different armies :)
    Just in front of the line of emissaries is a pile of supply crates - right click that and you get dialogue options to improve the different armies :)

Cool, thanks :thumb:
    I'll take another look at the tactics screen, haven't used it much so far. Except for an Ogre battle where I had to set someone to heal.
    Fucks sake, I was hoping you were going to say it's shite. Now I've read this, I need it even more but I can't afford it!!

P.S. Who's looking forward to Mass Effect 2?!

Oh yeah, and what's the deal with the new Star Wars KOTOR being an MORP?? Epic fail.
    Fuck knows man, it looks terrible as well. Loved the idea of it supposedly allowing you to play a unique character in the world but then you watch one of the Bounty Hunter teases and suddenly 'unique' means - Look! you've got Boba Fett's jetpack, hey! at level 40 you get Boba Fett's grapple!

I want to play a bounty hunter I want to look like this -

ig_88.jpg

Nearly as depressing as hearing the spaceships in Star Trek Online be described as 'this one's a good Tank and the Cruiser is a great DPS' - by the god damn designers! I know WoW was good, but fuck, does it all have to be the damn same :crying:

But hey, Dragon Age is great, especially on PC and Mass Effect 2, boxart not withstanding, looks superb
    You're kidding - I can't wait for the Old Republic. Everything about it suggests that when it comes out the story and decision trees will make Dragon Age look as shallow as pacman.

Not that Dragon Age isn't still awesome. I'm now at the final battle and would have finished last night except I didn't want a divorce :( and couldn't do tonight as got in late :( It may well be shaping up to be the greatest RPG of all time - something Planescape Torment has held for 10 years
    Because not everyone wants to pay monthly for a game, and believe it or not, not everyone in the UK has internet fast enough to play games online.
    I have no problem with them releasing a new Star Wars MORPG, it does sound pretty awesome I have to admit....but don't have it as part of the KOTOR series. We've been waiting for this game for years and this isn't really what we were waiting for.
    Thank god Bioware started the Mass Effect series instead, it's almost there as a replacement for the KOTOR series.
    I fi tdoesn't involve sitting around a dining room table with a group of siblings and friends, imagining you really can see pixie like people, IMO, it ain't an RPG. I am too old.....

I need dice to imagine... kinda like dr rhinehart only, less weird I hope.
    Ok completed it - officially best RPG ever. Now I'm off to play it as a different character and make different decisions...
    It's just KOTOR with castles instead of spaceships, swords instead of lightsabres and Alistair instead of Carth... great game though.
    im an rpg fan but havent seemed to be able to get into dragonage, i prefer social gaming these days (so jump on skype, with 6/7 friends, have a chat, all join the same game together).
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    You've all made Dragon Age sound really good. I was very tempted to get it anyway, and now even more so!
    And as for Mass Effect 2 :heart::heart::heart: I can't wait :hyper:
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Might have to aquire it for the PC, assuming I can actually run it. If it's anywhere near as good as I've heard/KoTOR, I'll be stuck on it like stink on shit.
    It's great fun, really rewarding and best on PC - brilliant stuff.
    yea, I'm playing it atm. I'm so pissed off my friend managed to have sex with morrigan and I don't! (He plays male, I play a female, hope that doesn't matter) :D

But I'm on pretty sexy terms with alistair. I DID IT ONLY FOR THE CONSTITUTION BUFF I SWEAR!
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    yea, I'm playing it atm. I'm so pissed off my friend managed to have sex with morrigan and I don't! (He plays male, I play a female, hope that doesn't matter) :D

But I'm on pretty sexy terms with alistair. I DID IT ONLY FOR THE CONSTITUTION BUFF I SWEAR!

Sadly you can't - however the cute little redhead swings both ways (you can also pop into a brothel and choose from six women or six men - depending on your tastes)
    Sadly you can't - however the cute little redhead swings both ways (you can also pop into a brothel and choose from six women or six men - depending on your tastes)

damn it. Now I have to erase my second character and make her a man :D I heard from her (Liliana or so), that she swings both ways but I just have nothing to talk to her anymore and I'm not far enough with her to do anything. It takes only a little more I think I'm something like +50 - +60 with her.

They start to ask stuff about Alistair and me. Do I need to quit it with him, so I can have her? Or are they not as strict about polygamy?
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    damn it. Now I have to erase my second character and make her a man :D I heard from her (Liliana or so), that she swings both ways but I just have nothing to talk to her anymore and I'm not far enough with her to do anything. It takes only a little more I think I'm something like +50 - +60 with her.

They start to ask stuff about Alistair and me. Do I need to quit it with him, so I can have her? Or are they not as strict about polygamy?

Well I tried with Morrigan and Lilliana to go for a threesum and that went down... well shall we say they may be pixels, but they're not free and easy. That said you can shag them both, but afterwards you have to make a choice (I chose Morrigan, I'm going to replay as an eleven female from the slums and goe for Lilliana next time)
    So anyone playing Awakenings?

What do you think?
    How the hell do I kill that thing at the end? It's even harder than Gaxkang.