Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

compliments

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    hopefully things will improve now ive highlighted the fact im a tad unhappy about that side of our relationship.

It doesn't sound like he was paying much attention...
  • Options
  • Options
    Jeeeeez. Are people really that determined to put a dampener on her relationship?

g_angel. You weren't there!! How could you possibly know whether or not her boyfriend was paying attention?!

Blah, it's great you brought it up with him. I hope things work out well :)
  • Options
    Well:

"he laughed at me and then started giving LAME compliments like "you cook a good roast dinner", "you are good at wasting lots of money", "you can be good at moaning" and when i asked him what he likes about me, he was like "ahhh, im not getting into this""

Isn't a great start - at least, not the way she's written it out. I should have written "doesn't sound like he was taking her seriously". That better?

Fair enough she's brought it up, but he pretty much fobbed it off, taking the piss and then turned it round on her, making her feel like she has to work harder, where he doesn't have change a thing.

Nicely played, so he doesn't have to feel bad, IMO.

If it wasn't like that, then fair enough, but the OP has a great way of writing so he looks really bad.
  • Options
    'you cook a good roast dinner' 'you are good at wasting money' could actually just be seen as teasing. i just dont think it's very helpful once the poster seems to be genuinely feeling okay and calm about things for you to go and stir it like that.
  • Options
    I never compliment my bf, I'm just not that type of person! I feel stupid saying things like "oh your gorgeous" and if he ever called me babe, princess or sweetheart I would laugh in his face! I am the most unromentic girl ever, but he accpets me for it! He doesn't compliment me that much only becuase it makes me feel uncomfortable and I just say he's lying or ignore him etc

Do you compliment him? It's not just a one way thing, you do it to him and he may be more inlcined to do it back.

But if, like you say, he's not good at saying thingslike that then you might just have to accept it.
  • Options
    'you cook a good roast dinner' 'you are good at wasting money' could actually just be seen as teasing. i just dont think it's very helpful once the poster seems to be genuinely feeling okay and calm about things for you to go and stir it like that.

seeing as you referred to her as xxxxx, if it's xxxxxx the im thinking of then i am assuming she would have preferred to remain anonymous. i can see you are looking out for the poster's best interests. not.

I've edited the name, I suggest you do the same.

With regards to the rest, I've given my opinion. Almost everything she has written about him recently has come across like he is taking the piss. That isn't my fault.

He doesn't sound capable of discussing anything that matters to her. To me, that's bullshit, as it's obviously bothering her.
  • Options
    i suggest you edit what you just quoted.
  • Options
    i suggest you edit what you just quoted.

:thumb:
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »

It's obvious that he cares for you and likes your company, but I believe a loving and successful relationship needs to be built on more than spending your money and doing a few nice things. You need someone who you can be honest with and share your fears and dreams with, someone who will support you in the bad times and will be at your side in the good. Most of all they need to make you feel good about yourself and it sounds to me like this boyfriend doesn't do that. I doubt you would end this relationship because you love him, but just be careful that you don't come out at the end of it feeling even more shit and insecure about yourself than you might already do.

Completely agree with this.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    "you shouldn't need any compliments from me to feel good about yourself xxx"

how would you take that? :(
    He's right, him complimenting you should improve how you feel about the relationship. Nobody is going to give you the self-confidence you appear to need, you need to do that for yourself.
  • Options
  • Options
    Just tell him the truth.
  • Options
  • Options
    Maybe he thinks you should feel good about yourself and doesn't understand why you don't. Is him giving you compliments going to actually make you feel any better or are you not going to believe them? When my bf gives me compliments I don't believe him, when he says I look lovely I'll just be like don't lie and not listen. I have low self confidence and esteem and compliments don't help.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Just tell him the truth.

This.

You need to be open with him about yourself and about the things you like, the things you don't like, the things that scare you, the things that motivate you, ALL the things that make you who you are. Otherwise is he even having a relationship with you, or with a girl who you've invented so he doesn't get to see the real you? Cause the latter is just a recipe for disaster.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Maybe he thinks you should feel good about yourself and doesn't understand why you don't.

This.

You haven't told him about your past and you lied about your AD's so how is he going to know that you have low self-esteem and that you need a confidence boost every so often?

To be honest I think that if you want this relationship to last then you're going to have to tell him the truth about everything. That's a fairly significant thing for him to not have a clue about. What happens if you relapse? You're not going to be able to go to him because he won't know about your history.
  • Options
    and how am i supposed to do that? i dont even feel as though he fancies me anymore as compliments are absent.

i dont even know how to reply to his text. just feel really stupid now after he's said that.
    You really are going about this the total wrong way, HE IS NOT GOING TO IMPROVE HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT YOURSELF!!!! You need to understand that, if he does...then your newly found self confidence will fly out the window if and when you break up. You need to learn to love yourself for who you are...not who other people make you!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Compliments are a funny thing.

I, personally, would rather have the occassional compliment when he actually means it, instead of all the time, because he felt obliged to.

Also, returning to a previous point. I would rather him tell me that he really enjoyed his roast dinner than him calling me Princess. It tells me that he appreciates what I have done, rather than call me a pet name.

Now, the matter of confidence is different. If you need someone to call you 'Princess' or whatever infront of your friends in order to feel confident, then that is your issue and not his and it isn't something that he needs to rectify.

I, personally, feel you need to sit down with him, tell him the truth about *everything*, including past and present crap and then let him make up his own mind. He needs to see the real you otherwise you are living in a pretend world. Which isn't healthy.

The fact that he has done lots of wonderful things for you - eg the trip to Venice - tell you a lot about how he feels about you. You need to repay him with some honesty. And not forcing him to do / say things that he obviously feels uncomfortable doing / saying.
  • Options
    wot she sed.
  • Options
  • Options
    how exactly do you turn around to someone you love and say "oh yeahhh, ive self harmed, ive suffer/ed from depression and an eating disorder". he will think im a freak and leave me. QUOTE]

You never know until you tell him. I told my bf about my problems, yeah was hard but he didn't laugh think I was a freak. I thought he would be put off but he wouldn't. If he knew I doubt your bf would have laughed in the same way with his mates. Do you not trust him to tell him? He will probably find out in the end, I mean he has already found out about the AD's, if he sees how serious this is for you and how much it has taken for you to tell him he will not laugh or be freaked out. If he does take it badly then obviously he isn't worth it.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    how exactly do you turn around to someone you love and say "oh yeahhh, ive self harmed, ive suffer/ed from depression and an eating disorder". he will think im a freak and leave me. he doesn't get that sort of stuff and those thoughts were pretty much confirmed when he was laughing at a program about people with mental disorders last night. im not forcing him to do anything. im not even going to bring it up again. and i never said i wanted to be called princess, i just said that my mates boyfriend calls her that. i was just highlighting the difference in the way he communicates with me. as for the roast dinner compliment, he was just teasing me with that. i'd much prefer he mentionned i looked nice occasionally but obviously those sort of thoughts don't even cross his mind :( and as for doing stuff in front of friends, i understand that he's just trying to act the "hard man" and i dont really have an issue with that. theres a time and place and all that for personal stuff. yes, the trip to venice was lovely as are alot of things we do together. the occasional "i love you" and "you look nice" wouldn't go amiss though. bah. nobody seems to understand where im coming from. im just incredibly insecure. i know thats my issue and not his though so im just gonna leave it.

But some men aren't like that. My husband isn't. He isn't the sort to just come out with 'i love you' out of nowhere and he isn't the sort to say 'you look nice' whenever I wear something new / different or whatever. But I know he cares and I know he loves me and I know he would do anything for me. Just because your friend's boyfriend does it, doesn't mean that yours would.

You desperately need to sit down and have a conversation with him, though. I'm not saying it will be an easy one. But you could even use the tv show last night to bring it up - 'I'm worrying about the way you reacted to the show last night as I have suffered with mental issues in the past' or something in that vain.

And you are right - it is your issue, but you are meant to be in a loving relationship so you should be sharing your insecurities. Relationships are two-way. And right now, he seems to be doing a lot of the leg work. And I do think we know where you are coming from, but you don't seem all that happy with the responses you are getting, which is why you are getting a tad frustrated.
  • Options
    It may be that he could help you deal with the insecurities you have, but by trying to ask him to behave in a particular way without explaining what creates that need is always going to make it seem strange or perhaps artificial to him.

I think people do understand that you need to hear this because you feel insecure and find it reassuring. But by pushing down those insecurities it might be that your need to have a positive view of yourself reinforced becomes less likely. The more you act confident around him or pretend not to be insecure then it becomes even less likely that he would understand that you need that in your relationship.

Having parts of your past you feel you can't talk about may be difficult though, because even if you have moved on it may be something you'll always be insecure about him not knowing. I can't say how you could broach the subject or how he would react, but it might be worth considering if your own insecurity plays a part in convincing you that he would consider you a freak for being honest.

Often people can be very different when dealing with issues that affect someone they love rather than when its a stranger on TV. Whatever you do decide, try not to assume that he would think the same thing about you.
  • Options
    I believe that honesty really is the best policy. You're however many months into a relationship and your ADs etc hasn't been brought up. Maybe if he realised these things he would understand where you're coming from a lot more.
    Also, it won't be fair on him when he realises. If you can see yourself being with him for the forseeable future then I think it's only fair that you let him know.
    My bf and I have so much baggage and we've told each other things that we could never tell anyone else. But it doesn't freak us out, it just means that we understand each other more.
  • Options
    my boyfriend is very complimentary to the point where sometimes I don't really like it, I think it's just because in past relationships I've been out with quite a few nasties so I'm not used to it.

everybody is different, just because he's not saying it doesn't mean he's not thinking it but if you think it's becoming a problem then maybe start complimenting him or actually speak to him about it.
  • Options