Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

compliments

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    All the time. Mostly it's just silly, like, "you're pretty" or "mmmmm, you/yourbum/yourface" and the like, but we still compliment each other properly quite a lot. Like when I catch him staring at me and I'm like, "what the fuck are you staring at me for, ya weirdo?" and he's all "'cause you're beautiful" and stuff. Even when I feel particularly rubbish and going on about how big I am he says that I'm perfect the way I am.

Why does he criticise you? What about?
  • Options
  • Options
    i don't know the ins and outs of your relationship and im not going to pretend to...but wow he really sounds great! I wouldn't be sticking around if i was constantly being criticised and insulted.

I've been with the hubby for over three years, im currently fat, lazy, pregnant, always scruffy and a lot of the time stink of baby puke and he still manages to get compliments in a several times a day. And if he does make any insensitive comments, 95% of the time he's joking and i know that, but if i get upset he's always quick to genuinely apologise and give me a cuddle.

As for him, i tend to compliment him quite often be it something physical or something he's done...especially when he's done something thoughtful or nice.
  • Options
    We compliment each other a lot, and are just generally appreciative of each other. Sometimes he brings me jaffa cakes home after work, or brings me a surprise cup of tea (tis all cupboard love really!) but also things like I catch him watching me from the doorway when I'm washing up or something and he just smiles loads at me. Or when I'm waiting to meet him after work and he sees me and gives me the biggest smile ever.
  • Options
    We compliment each other a lot, and are just generally appreciative of each other. Sometimes he brings me jaffa cakes home after work, or brings me a surprise cup of tea (tis all cupboard love really!) but also things like I catch him watching me from the doorway when I'm washing up or something and he just smiles loads at me. Or when I'm waiting to meet him after work and he sees me and gives me the biggest smile ever.
    :yes: :heart:
  • Options
  • Options
    Personally I'd hate to be with someone who puts me down a lot.
  • Options
    How much do you compliment him? It's a two way thing, and all relationships require work.
  • Options
    Obviously im not currently in a relationship, but if a lady compliments me in any way shape or form, i cant help feeling a bit paranoid, because of my low self confidence.
  • Options
  • Options
    I forgot my OH's year of birth when we were doing the marriage declaration :o
  • Options
  • Options
    Not so good when you are being quizzed on the legalities of your relationship to ascertain whether or not you are doing it for love, money or British Citizenship :chin:
  • Options
  • Options
    he had to ask me what my surname was. we've been together 7 months almost.

Fuck thats bad.

I'm shit at giving and taking compliments, maybe he is just crap at giving them? Its to do with some insecurity or some Freudian bollocks like that.

I know sometimes I dont actually say anything complimentary but quite often I'm thinking it. I know the whole point is to say it out loud, but dont write him off, he may not say it, doesn't mean he isn't thinking it.

At the end of the day though, tell him how you feel, he should make more of an effort. Its not asking a lot.

:thumb:
  • Options
    my favourite is when its that time of the month and i get my granny/un-sexy knickers out and he still grabs my bum and tells me he thinks im "hawt" :p
  • Options
    I think compliments are important, but they're not the be all and end all.
    As Knee High Stripey Socks said, sometimes it's just about the way they look at you, and you know that they find you attractive.

I have some kind of bdd thing going on, so when I first got into my current relationship I was so desperate to hear him tell me I was pretty all the time and I was firing waaay too many compliments at him. Two and a half years down the line and I think we've got the balance right - compliments when they're not needed (ie, when I'm in my PJs) and secret glances in a crowded room that speak a thousand words. So yeah, I think balance is key.

Also, my bf still forgets my DOB but I deal with it! He is only male, afterall...
  • Options
  • Options
    you see, when i do that, he moans. he likes me to dress up in sexy stuff all the time but sometimes i just wanna wear big baggy stuff especally when im having a fat day.

im hoping he's just shit at giving compliments. he more often than not does things for me rather than actually saying things if that makes sense?like the other day, he walked 20 minutes in the pouring rain to get me some chocolate and wine from the shop as i was feeling poop and i thought that was a bit sweet. i think he has problems opening up. he has lots of girlfriends in the past but not many serious.

i am just very insecure about my looks/weight so i'd like more compliments about that sort of thing. he only ever seems to compliment me in that respect when im either wearing sexy underwear or whether ive made shit loads of effort for a night out!

i just love him so much yanno? i want him to love me as much as i love him, thats all.

I do get where you're coming from, and I think you're right in saying that maybe he just doesn't say it/think about saying it even if he thinks it.

Have you tried telling him how you feel? Maybe he just doesn't realise, and when he doesn't he'll make his feelings more vocal.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    compliments when they're not needed (ie, when I'm in my PJs) and secret glances in a crowded room that speak a thousand words.

This. Absolutely this. When you catch them looking at you and they give you a funny little smile. Or drunken "I love you" texts at 3am because they didn't want to wake you up by calling you.

Although nothing says, "I love you" more than helping you clean yourself up after you've had sex thinking your (godawfully long) period had stopped and it turned out it really hadn't, even when you got blood all over them.
  • Options
    everytime i compliment someone I get told I'm creepy.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    This. Absolutely this. When you catch them looking at you and they give you a funny little smile. Or drunken "I love you" texts at 3am because they didn't want to wake you up by calling you.

Although nothing says, "I love you" more than helping you clean yourself up after you've had sex thinking your (godawfully long) period had stopped and it turned out it really hadn't, even when you got blood all over them.

I'm glad that you know exactly what I mean and that you have someone that makes you feel the same way!

But that second point. Oh My God, it couldn't be more true!!
  • Options
  • Options
    thanks guys. think im gonna have a bit of a word tomorrow. feel as though im always having to do this yanno and he laughs it off. he really has issues talking about serious stuff :| meh, think ive really made him look bad on here. i think its just more of the case that i focus on the bad more than the good. i cant help it. he's the nicest guy ive had in my life by far but mehhhh, im just SO insecure.

No worries, that's what we're here for!
    Hope it goes well! x
  • Options
    yanno, the other day, he was putting numbers in his new phone. he had to ask me what my surname was. we've been together 7 months almost. why did he need to ask me that? he honestly couldn't remember what it was. he had to ask when my birthday was the other day too, he was 2 months out :(

I wouldn't worry too much about stuff like this. Most men don't pay attention to most stuff. My husband never knows how old I am. But then most of the time he doesn't know how old HE is, so I don't let it bother me much. He sometimes even calls me by his ex's name when he's cross with me, but I'm actually ok with that too (beats him doing it in bed!).

But if he ever stopped telling me I look pretty when I've just crawled out of bed with Sideshow Bob hair and mole eyes knowing for absolutely fact that I look like crap, I'd be very worried about the state of our relationship.

It's about sorting out what's important from what's not, and imo, little silly compliments are really important.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    or when they go out to get you tampons/hold your hair back and pick you off the bathroom floor then carry you to bed when you're not well :heart:
    Or when they get up at 4am to heat up your the inside from my Me to You bear with the inside you can pull out and heat up, but cause he didn't have a microwave he did it in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Just 'cause I had period pains. :heart:.
  • Options
  • Options
    how do I approach the subject though?

i think he does most of these things to impress his mates (as most of the time, the things that upset me are things he does in front of his mates) but i dont knowww. its probably just my paranoia. im not gonna lie, im incredibly insecure because of how ive been treated in the past. i dont let him know all this mind.

I'm a firm believer in just coming out and saying it!
  • Options
    hey there,
    It is very important to communicate with your partner no matter what the issue is; communicating as a couple will hopefully give you an insight on how you can approach the subject with him, and talk with him when he is serious! Good luck! :)
  • Options