Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bottled water...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bottled water, in my mind, is only for when you're out clubbing once you've had enough of the ol' beer :-) Other than that, I'll occasionally buy a bottle onboard a train.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    With that said: no I don't drink bottled water, except mineral water.
    There's bottled water that's not mineral? What is it then? :chin:
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Bottled water, in my mind, is only for when you're out clubbing once you've had enough of the ol' beer :-) Other than that, I'll occasionally buy a bottle onboard a train.

You can ask for tapwater free in bars / clubs you know...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

Annoyingly a few places I know don't give free tapwater.
  • Options

And in a middle of a club dancing you'd rather be carrying a glass rather than a bottle you can just stick in your pocket?
  • Options
    And in a middle of a club dancing you'd rather be carrying a glass rather than a bottle you can just stick in your pocket?

No, heh. Normally when I'm at that stage I need a rest anyway, ask for a glass of water and sit down, get my sensations back a bit. I've tried to 'dance it off' before and it ended up in me throwing up over some other people but I don't think they noticed :o

Sorry if my comment above sounded a bit bitchy, it wasn't meant to me :).

And the clubs I've been too the bouncers don't let you drink on the dance floor anyway :( so it's a case of drink drink drink dance dance dance rest rest rest drink drink drink etc. until the taxi comes lol.

But I can believe that some clubs would cash in and not provide free tapwater, though I think it's wrong. I think in an establishment where dehydration is very likely (lots of physical activity + alcohol) they have a duty of care to stop people passing out or being ill.

It's a sad fact if you start passing out, rather than get medical help bouncers will just chuck you out. If it's not in the club it's not their problem. Of course, it depends on the place - some are really quite nice :)
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    do you manage to make it to the kitchen to get your dinner?
    Only when my mum shouts up the stairs that it's on the table.

In regards to bottled water; I remind myself of "0.1%" - the size of this country's carbon footprint. Then I laugh and remember how blissful ignorance is.
  • Options
    Only when my mum shouts up the stairs that it's on the table.

:eek:

Not being funny but your 21 and your mum still shouts that your dinners on the table? And you get bottled water in your room because you don't want to walk to the kitchen?

Talk about having it easy. Yes I know you've got mobility problems but I've got a mate with MD who is wheelchair bound who helps his mum cook, (and has little strength in his arms either), and maybe I'm just a little outraged at the minute and getting the wrong end of the stick.

So I'll leave my comments there.

Does anyone else know about whether it's bad to re-use water bottles? I've heard it is, but having said that I've got a 2l coke bottle under my desk filled with water atm :).
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Does anyone else know about whether it's bad to re-use water bottles? I've heard it is, but having said that I've got a 2l coke bottle under my desk filled with water atm :).

Sure it was discussed before dude, try reading back a bit :p
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Sure it was discussed before dude, try reading back a bit :p

Yea it was, but like, there was no... 'you should use this' or 'it doesnt really do anything'. I dunno. I'll read back now :p
  • Options
    Anyone who buys bottled water to drink at home is stupid. We all have taps and the water in them is pefectly clean and healthy to drink.

If you're out and about though and you feel thirsty then what are the options?
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    Anyone who buys bottled water to drink at home is stupid. We all have taps and the water in them is pefectly clean and healthy to drink.

If you're out and about though and you feel thirsty then what are the options?

They used to have drinking fountains about public places but I guess people got too worried about hygiene and vandalism.
  • Options

Ugh, no kidding. I've been to a couple places where the water is just as expensive as a beer :\ And its not even a full bottle of water, they'll pour it out of a bottle into a little cup, can get about 2 cups for a bottle.

I don't go around drinking bottled water but I do take it with me on car trips and what not. I've never lived somewhere with bad tap water, so I've always just drank that. Filled a jug and put it in the fridge so its cold of course. I've had brita pitchers and and the little attachment you put on the faucet, I don't even tell the difference really. But I have been to places with terrible tap water. Even out of a drinking fountain, down in Flordia I swear it all tastes like chlorine. Without access to a filter there bottled water is the only way to go! I do think its a bit weird, the people that carry around a fresh bottle of water everywhere, I can understand refilling it, but breaking out a new one every time is nothing but a waste, whether you recycle it or not. The whole recycling bin would be filled to the brim with just water bottles if I did that! If you are that intent on doing it, just get a damn filter, think of how much cheaper it is too!

Right now I just use the water dispenser on the fridge, though I hate it because it is sooo slooooowwwww, but for some reason I never break out the jug :p I fill up http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/aname/HPIM0104.jpg and drink out of it :D (I've broken 1/3 of the glasses in the house accidently so far so I'm trying to stay away)

I would love to try http://www.purwater.com/pur-flavor-options/ though :yum:
  • Options
    There are some arguments it's a kind of fashion icon, or something. That people feel metropolitan when they buy bottled water, or feel good about themselves. So in that sense they're not buying it for the water and it's got nothing to do with quality in any real sense, it's about making the purchaser feel good (about themselves). Edit: you can argue the same with coffee in a swanky coffee bar, and such. A lot of marketing isn't designed at the product itself and how good the quality is, but the sensations it gives you. Not only do they taste / feel / look good, but they can make you feel good about yourself too. I mean, it seems preposterous but think - if you designed an ordinary product but marketed it in a way that meant people buying it would feel good about it, you're selling something that costs you nothing - instant win.

I do buy bottled water for lan parties, but that's because the 2x1l bottle for £1.50 is more convenient than taking an empty coke bottle and filling it with water.
  • Options
    There's bottled water that's not mineral? What is it then? :chin:

I thought we were talking about normal, still water in bottles, like tap water. There are different kinds, but it's hard to translate (german wikipedia). could be soda water just as much...

mineral water has very strict guidelines to count as such (no impureness, etc.)

Actually yea, there is not a whole lot of quality difference to Austrian tap water, it's just because it's sparkling, for white wine, etc...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I thought we were talking about normal, still water in bottles, like tap water. There are different kinds, but it's hard to translate (german wikipedia). could be soda water just as much...
    When you say "mineral water", do you mean the carbonated kind?
    Because if you don't, I can't say I've ever seen bottled water that wasn't mineral... What's the point of it?
  • Options
    There realy is no need whatsoever to buy bottled water.
    We have very good water coming out of our taps ...do a bit of travelling to see what other people in the world have to drink and then tell me british tap water is bad.
    I never saw the appeal of water anyway ...unless it has tea or hops in it.
    god invented water to wash in not drink.
  • Options
    are you joking? waters like the elixir of life.
  • Options
    No, Old Peculier is the elixir of life.

Water is just an ingredient ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    There are some arguments it's a kind of fashion icon, or something. That people feel metropolitan when they buy bottled water, or feel good about themselves. So in that sense they're not buying it for the water and it's got nothing to do with quality in any real sense, it's about making the purchaser feel good (about themselves). Edit: you can argue the same with coffee in a swanky coffee bar, and such. A lot of marketing isn't designed at the product itself and how good the quality is, but the sensations it gives you. Not only do they taste / feel / look good, but they can make you feel good about yourself too. I mean, it seems preposterous but think - if you designed an ordinary product but marketed it in a way that meant people buying it would feel good about it, you're selling something that costs you nothing - instant win.

I do buy bottled water for lan parties, but that's because the 2x1l bottle for £1.50 is more convenient than taking an empty coke bottle and filling it with water.
    i agree with the feel good factor ...but i feel realy good about myself anyhow so have no need to buy all the useless crap they sell that will supposedly make me feel better.
    Stop buying into the con!
  • Options
    The only time that bottled water was ever funny was at that classic episode of Only Fools and Horses. Otherwise, it's just a bad joke.