Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bottled water...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Why's it bad for you to re-use bottles Franki? I do that when I'm in the gym purely because I drink so much.

Most bottle labels tell you not to do it because its "dangerous",

Depends if you believe them or not, doesn't it:D

The only people who think that bottled water tastes better than tap water are retards who care more about the branding than the actual taste. Which is why they will tend to buy a brand of water (like Buxton or Highland Water) rather than supermarket own-brand water. Asda's water comes from the same source in Cumbria that Aqua-Pura does, for instance. A lot of Cumbrian tap water comes from the same place too, even more amusingly.

If I'm out and I'm thirsty I'll buy bottled water because nowhere has water fountains anymore. But at home keeping a non-filter jug of tap water in the fridge is more than enough for me.

People round here who won't drink the tap water really do make me laugh. Most bottled water around here is from the Northumberland fells around Kielder. Our tap water is from...the Northumberland fells around Kielder. The carbon footprint of my bottled water isn't too bad, coming as it does from Carlisle, Rothbury or Buxton at a push. My broccoli probably comes further.
  • Options
    I buy a 12 pack of Highland Spring every 2 weeks.

I drink bottled water because
    a) it's quicker and easier (or lazy) to keep 12 bottles in my bedroom than it is to go downstairs, especially at night when waking the dog up would be a problem.
    b) I take all my pills before bed and I always forget if I don't have any water handy.
    c) It encourages me to drink more during the day if I'm constantly walking around the house with one.
    d) I recycle all bottles.
    e) I hate the taste of tap water.

All of those arguements bar e) are complete crap because you could fill up a container with tap water

I drink tap water because I can't notice the difference anyway! If I do buy bottled water its usually because I'm out and I've forgotten my own bottle, in which case I always buy Brecon Carreg because its from just up the road :D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Most bottle labels tell you not to do it because its "dangerous",

Depends if you believe them or not, doesn't it:D
    Hmm, funny my bottle of Diet Coke doesn't mention anything. Presumably made of the same stuff, so it would be just as "dangerous" to reuse?
    The only people who think that bottled water tastes better than tap water are retards who care more about the branding than the actual taste. Which is why they will tend to buy a brand of water (like Buxton or Highland Water) rather than supermarket own-brand water. Asda's water comes from the same source in Cumbria that Aqua-Pura does, for instance. A lot of Cumbrian tap water comes from the same place too, even more amusingly.
    Well it does taste different (though all bottled water tastes pretty much the same). But I prefer tap water. But like I say, there's absolutely no way that someone can like bottled water and not like tap water. They're not different enough for that.

Where's Volvic from? That's what I usually buy because it's usually the cheapest. Except Brecon Carreg when I was in uni, but they only sell it in Wales. I can be tempted by a nice sports top though. And it has to be a 750ml bottle.
  • Options

I can assure you that if the tap water here didnt taste so damn weird, i would drink it. I do sometimes drink it but its just bleurgh. Its not snobbery and i know its safe, its just the taste. It tastes ok filtered but there are always weird particles willing around in the filter jug when i do it, so that doesnt encourage me much either. probably dodgy piping. I cant even stand the taste of tea and coffee round here if its made with unfiltered water. its just chalky and limescaley.
    Im not a water snob. I actually prefer tescos 47p bottled water to Evian by a long shot, and there are several bottled waters that I dont like the taste of. Maybe ive got oversensitive tastebuds.
    Finding out how many litres of water it takes to produce one bottle for bottled water has made me think twice a bit though. Back to the Brita now. Theres no way i would drink the water straight from the tap though. If that was the only water available id probably rot my teeth just drinking fruit juice all the time, and obviously they come in containers too so no environmental benefits there either.

When im in scotland I drink tap water no problem. It tastes fine.
  • Options
    Yorkshire water = Yummy. Much nicer than bottled.

London water = not so nice, but I still drink it. Bottled tastes better though. Kermit - come taste it. I'm no retard.

I only buy bottles when I am out and about, and I tend to keep one that I fill up and use for a while to fill with tap water.
  • Options
    But like I say, there's absolutely no way that someone can like bottled water and not like tap water. They're not different enough for that.
    Says who!!? Who are you to say that... do you know the inner workings of the entire population of bottled water drinkers? No.
    Even the water companies agree that tap water tastes different to bottled water - it was on the Wright Stuff yesterday. It's down to the minerals and the flouride they pump into it.
    They do say however, that if you get yourself a brita water filter, it filters out the minerals and flouride and gives you a non-tasting tap water.

I buy bottled water not for the brand but for how it's packaged - Highland spring seems to be the only company that sell 12 500ml bottles for less than £4. My mum's happy to keep buying them, as long as I keep drinking water. It's all down to preference at the end of the day.

I digress.... my point is, no one has any right to tell someone what they can and cannot like the taste of. Simple as.
  • Options
    Flouride isn't put into all water (thank god).
  • Options
    Says who!!? Who are you to say that... do you know the inner workings of the entire population of bottled water drinkers? No.
    Haha, I challenge you to find a single other product in the world where people will pay 1000's of times more for such a tiny difference in taste. It's like saying you like sirloin steak, but don't like rump steak. You might prefer sirloin steak if given the choice, but they're still far too similar for someone to like one and not like the other.

Incidentally, I remember a TV programme where someone filled up bottles with tap water to sell (not illegal) as "bottled water" and was able to sell them for 50p a bottle, and even get comments about how nice the water was.
  • Options
    Buying an individual bottle of water when you're out is acceptable.

Living off the stuff and buying big 2 litre multi-packs is not. I would not be able to morally justify buying bottled water - when there is safe and clean tap water available. Millions of people do not have access to tap water that is safe to drink - for rich Western countries to be spending billions of pounds on bottled water is disgusting...

Bottled water is bad for the environment and it is a completely avoidable and unnecessary luxury. Bottled water from overseas should be banned, it's doubly unnecessary - and all bottled water should have a special tax on it which directly funds clean water and carbon offsetting projects.
  • Options
    The tap water where I live (Kent) tastes chalky but I still drink it. I only buy a bottle when I'm out and super thirsty and then I just re-use the bottle but with tap water or squash.
  • Options
    Flouride isn't put into all water (thank god).

tis in london.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    There was a rumour that the plastics in the bottle (PET's) could break down over repeated usage but I'm fairly certain it was pointed out to be untruthful.
    Is that just a ploy yo get people to buy more bittles do you think?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    People round here who won't drink the tap water really do make me laugh. Most bottled water around here is from the Northumberland fells around Kielder. Our tap water is from...the Northumberland fells around Kielder. The carbon footprint of my bottled water isn't too bad, coming as it does from Carlisle, Rothbury or Buxton at a push. My broccoli probably comes further.

As increasingly does Yorkshire's supply of water according to the babble that Yorkshire Water have sent today with their raping bill.

Had a nice bottle of Harrogate Spa today courtesy of fTPE.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Going slightly off topic I'd love to live somewhere where there was a spring you could just go down to and collect drinking water for drinking and cooking. And a veggie patch in the garden. Paradise... No need to rely on the Western world and it's bottled water stolen from the land that belonged to nobody and sold at a profit.

im sure you could find somewhere in scotland :), ive often thought about retiring in some sort of fashion like that
  • Options
    There's a run down old house at the foot of Snowdon, need's re-building practically but that would be ideal. Right next to a big lake - Good for water and swimming. A walk up Snowdon every now and then. Perfect.

Good for water perhaps but the swimming would be far too cold :p...

Look how we've dragged this off topic :blush:
  • Options
    Going slightly off topic I'd love to live somewhere where there was a spring you could just go down to and collect drinking water for drinking and cooking. And a veggie patch in the garden. Paradise... No need to rely on the Western world and it's bottled water stolen from the land that belonged to nobody and sold at a profit.

My dad does that, goes to the highlands and fills several bottles up with water from the stream at the top of the hill. He thinks it tastes great, and its not bad, but i just worry about all the seamonkeys in it.
  • Options
    i'm just watching this panarama on bottled water, and some of the issues it is raising are things i've never actually thought about.

The fact that its carbon footprint is so much larger than tap water was quite astonishing to me, never thought about it like that before.

i dont usually drink bottled water as i have no problems with tap water at all...

have any of you bottled water drinkers ever thought about the consequences? or are you just part of the fad?

discuss. :thumb:

I missed this. Makes perfect sense to me. What's the point? You adjust to water taste, just like any other taste (though I wish I could adjust better to spicey food!).

I don't drink bottled water (apart from in Nepal when the tapwater wasn't safe, Kathmandu is one of the most polluted cities on the planet), out of principle mainly.

I can see why in another country, you might need it, but never in the UK.

It sickens me that something that falls from the sky is commodified.

A guy once told me that in Mexico (I think it was Mexico, or another central American country), Coca Cola is cheaper than bottled water.
  • Options
    It's normally ok. I always drink stream water when I'm camping in Wales. Depending on where it's from I put a purification tab in it but this makes it taste like seamonkey semen tbh.

I remember camping in the hills (I'm from Wales and grew up in the mountains).

If you know where to go (i.e. above farms and anything else which can pollute the course) you can find the freshest and tastiest water possible. It's like heaven and cold as ice, running from the mountains. :yum:
  • Options
    tis in london.

Didn't my comment leave room for places where flouride IS added? I said it wasn't put into ALL water, not ANY water :)
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »

If you know where to go (i.e. above farms and anything else which can pollute the course) you can find the freshest and tastiest water possible. It's like heaven and cold as ice, running from the mountains. :yum:

the ecoli bacteria has spread to mountain streams so it's not that safe anymore
  • Options
    the ecoli bacteria has spread to mountain streams so it's not that safe anymore

How does ecoli get in to mountains?

It was fine a couple of years ago (or four)
  • Options
    Didn't my comment leave room for places where flouride IS added? I said it wasn't put into ALL water, not ANY water :)

I don't really see the problem. The water has been fluoridated in the West Midlands for a long time and it's been a success.
  • Options
    I don't really see the problem. The water has been fluoridated in the West Midlands for a long time and it's been a success.

maybe thats why they talk funny?
  • Options

Did you check for dead animals beforehand? :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    How does ecoli get in to mountains?

Dangeours bacteria can form in any untreated water. E coli can survive for a quite a while outside the body and there are animals that shit on mountains. :D

When I worked as a greenkeeper we used to have to take care when clearing ditches because of the threat of bacteria.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    maybe thats why they talk funny?

:chin:
  • Options
    :chin:

lol - DISCLAIMER: I actually love the west midlands accent :heart:
  • Options
    Heh, yeah Black Country and Brummie accents aren't that bad... I'm not from here but live nr Coventry, although, I have a kinda mixture accent having lived in the Midlands and nr London... and yeah some locals seem to think I sound like I'm from round here as in Cov.. Cov accent isn't very strong though, it's a bit of a mixture, it's not like Brummie at all.
  • Options
    I drink bottled water because
    a) it's quicker and easier (or lazy) to keep 12 bottles in my bedroom than it is to go downstairs.

i find that quite pathetic.

i can't believe that you buy bottles because you can't be bothered to get up and go downstairs. do you manage to make it to the kitchen to get your dinner?
  • Options
    As far as I remember we had bottled water sometimes in England when I was little. Maybe because the water wasn't so fresh over there...

Might have something to do with adaption, since I've been on a boat trip on a bulgarian (or something) ship, and I wouldn't even expect my toilet to swallow that water. (slight exaggeration). It burnt in my eyes.

austria is one of the countries with the cleanest and freshest tap water, so it might have been, because I wasn't used to the water of that region of the u.k.

With that said: no I don't drink bottled water, except mineral water.