Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bottled water...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm just watching this panarama on bottled water, and some of the issues it is raising are things i've never actually thought about.

The fact that its carbon footprint is so much larger than tap water was quite astonishing to me, never thought about it like that before.

i dont usually drink bottled water as i have no problems with tap water at all...

have any of you bottled water drinkers ever thought about the consequences? or are you just part of the fad?

discuss. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    I drink bottled water sometimes. I go through phases of it even though I know its bad for the environment, but it just tastes a hundred times better than the weird murky liquid that comes out of the tap round here.

I have however today bought two new cartridges for my brita filter so will use that instead
  • Options
    I really don't like bottled water, unless of course it's flavoured.
  • Options
    have any of you bottled water drinkers ever thought about the consequences?

Nope. There is far more important things too worry about.

Tap water tastes like shite anyway. There is plenty of UK bottled water around, you don't have to buy French (Evian)
  • Options
    I tend to buy bottled water when abroad because I don't think it compares to the water here at home. But here I have a single bottle that I re-fill with tapwater. I sometimes buy sprinkled water but never mineral. The price is atrocious compared to the tapwater and it's the exact same water I'm drinking anyway.

I was in the US last Christmas and the chlorine water was so disgusting I'd buy bottled rather than suffer the taste. :p
  • Options
    yeah we have a water filter as well as the missus doesnt like the tap water, it doesnt bother me at all tho. i have however noticed differences in tap water wherever i go.

im not scot free tho because i do drink many things that come out of plastic bottles, i do try and reuse them at work when i can however.
  • Options
    the fact that the amount of carbon produced in bottling one bottle could fuel a car for 1km is rediculous, that was based on the francais stuff, they didnt mentioned on UK produced stuff
  • Options
    I only buy it if I'm thirsty when out, I usually take tap water in a carabina bottle thing with me.

The carbon footprint of it does concern me, also that it is soooo overpriced and I worry about it going stale as well! I know that last bit's weird :o
  • Options
    I have a jug I fill with tap water. Tastes fine, doesn't cost anything and I've never understood the point of bottled water.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I have a jug I fill with tap water. Tastes fine, doesn't cost anything and I've never understood the point of bottled water.

of course apart from bottled abroad right?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I only drink bottled water if I'm out and thirsty, or at home and there's problems with the water. Or in restaurants etc.
  • Options
    of course apart from bottled abroad right?

Don't know man, guess I've never been anywhere so bad I needed to drink bottled water, because I've only had tap water abroad.

Mind you not been much further than Tunisia
  • Options
    I drink mainly bottled flavoured water as the water round here tastes very weird and I dont like the taste of water at the best of times. I have one bottle I put squash in for work, but that gets reused 5 days a week for a year or so before its gets replaced. I always, always recycle the bottles though.
  • Options
    the fact that the amount of carbon produced in bottling one bottle could fuel a car for 1km is rediculous, that was based on the francais stuff, they didnt mentioned on UK produced stuff

the plastic bottle is the main thing and so is keeping the bottling plant sterile mainly simply because it's water so anything can grow very quickly if it gets contaminated

thames water is generally pretty good quality in taste, in blind taste tests it does well compared to bottled water, the main issue is peoples' plumbing and/or image awareness
  • Options
    thames water is generally pretty good quality in taste, in blind taste tests it does well compared to bottled water, the main issue is peoples' plumbing and/or image awareness

they just did a taste test on this proggy and one of the testers picked thames tap water as the most expensive, up against a bottle that cost £21 as well...who'd pay £21 for a bottle of water god knows, i'd personally slap them if i ever saw it.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Don't know man, guess I've never been anywhere so bad I needed to drink bottled water, because I've only had tap water abroad.

Mind you not been much further than Tunisia
    There are places where it is dangerous to drink the tap water, unless you've grown up drinking it. My dad and Naomi can't drink the tap water in Kenya because of all the bugs and rubbish in it, but my stepmum can because she's now immune to it. In cases like that it is understandable that they have so much bottled water around, but here I think it's just a bit of a fad. I do have SOME bottled water but that's just so I can have sports bottles to take to the gym with me. I re-use the bottles even though apparently that's bad for you too.

LuckyStrike - I was watching the Alan Titchmarsh Show once and they had a bottle of water that was about £300 or something :|.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    You can get special filter jugs for water... Is that what you have Jim?

No man, I've got a stoneware jug, pretty much the same thing people have been carrying water in for 1000's of years.

And yeah Franki, I realise there's places I'd be best to drink bottled water - just haven't been to any.
  • Options
    i used to just filter tapwater but tbh that doesn't get rid of everything, bottled water all the way now esp living in a city......and i must have done about 50,000 airmiles last year so i guess i'm not too bothered about the carbon footprint lol.
  • Options
    If one lives in an area where the water tastes minging it's a raw deal, but in the majority of the country it's actually very nice tasting.

I despair when I see people buying bottled water in London...

- tap water tastes as good if not better

- tap water is more than 2,000 times cheaper per litre

- tap water is perfectly healthy

- bottle water can contain plastic particles

- it takes 7 litres of water to manufacture a 1lt. water bottle

- the carbon footprint and pollution created by its manufacture and transportation is massive and unnaceptable

And for those whose tap water is not so good, a Brita-filtered jug placed in the fridge will taste as good as bottled water.

There is no excuse for drinking bottled water at home for the immense majority of people in the UK. The price of it should be raised to reflect the environmental cost it causes.
  • Options
    I only drink bottled water when I'm out or abroad I'd never drink it at home unless I had some left in a bottle I'd bought when I was out.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    There is no excuse for drinking bottled water at home for the immense majority of people in the UK.

thats the thing, its a fad, people think its the thing to do, even in my short lifetime the rise of bottled water is staggering, 15-20 years ago bottled water was a thing people didnt buy, apart from ponces with their perrier.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Tap waters hard down here, but I love it. Havn't found any bottled water yet that tastes better.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I prefer soft water. When im in scotland i really like the tap water.
    My friend has a water softener machine though and that does NOT make the water taste nice IMO. It makes it taste weird.
    Evian is crap, but some of the cheaper highland spring waters are really nice.
    I guess it depends on your taste. You cant deny bottled water is bad for the environment, but buying any drink thats packaged is really when you could just drink tap water.
  • Options
    I don't drink water unless it's boiled and has coffee in it.
  • Options
    I do drink a lot of bottled water cause i find the tap water gets stagnent really fast and ic ant be bothered to go all the way downstairs to get another glass
  • Options
    i do buy bottles of water if i'm out maybe shopping or something and i need a drink, but thats mainly because im trying to be healthy and avoiding fizzy stuff. at home we have an evian bottle that we keep in the fridge and just fill up with tap water whenever it gets empty and the water tastes really nice, better than bottled water. only if its cold though, straight out of the tap its a bit ming.
  • Options
    thats the thing, its a fad, people think its the thing to do, even in my short lifetime the rise of bottled water is staggering, 15-20 years ago bottled water was a thing people didnt buy, apart from ponces with their perrier.

It's been a bloody long fad though... so I don't think it can really be classed as one. I can't see it going away, either.
  • Options
    I've always found the idea of bottled water slightly bizarre. It's more expensive than petrol, it tastes so similar that it's impossible to like one and not like the other. Seriously, the way some people bang on, it's like you're comparing Coke with Diet Coke. I only ever buy bottled water for the bottle so I can refill it, or occasionally if I'm somewhere without a tap and want some water. But usually, it's a pint glass filled with ice and topped up with tap water. Lovely. :thumb:

Not gonna get all holier than thou about the environmental impact though, because I drink more bottled stuff than most people; it's just stuff with some flavour. And as for the French issue, I expect that French water being shipped to London has a lower carbon footprint than highland water.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    It's been a bloody long fad though... so I don't think it can really be classed as one. I can't see it going away, either.

Just shows the power of marketing. People would rather pay 70p for a product, than get an almost identical substance out of the tap for free(ish).
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Why's it bad for you to re-use bottles Franki? .

There was a rumour that the plastics in the bottle (PET's) could break down over repeated usage but I'm fairly certain it was pointed out to be untruthful.

I only ever drink bottled water if I'm out and its cheap, I'd probably buy a can of coke if it was cheaper! Only exception is on a train if its going free.
  • Options
    I buy a 12 pack of Highland Spring every 2 weeks.

I drink bottled water because
    a) it's quicker and easier (or lazy) to keep 12 bottles in my bedroom than it is to go downstairs, especially at night when waking the dog up would be a problem.
    b) I take all my pills before bed and I always forget if I don't have any water handy.
    c) It encourages me to drink more during the day if I'm constantly walking around the house with one.
    d) I recycle all bottles.
    e) I hate the taste of tap water.