Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Age gap relationships

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't post much on here, but here are my thoughts. Having dated girls 10 years younger than me, I can say that there are some benefits when one person in the relationship is older.

A good, fulfilling relationship takes a lot of hard work, patience and understanding. When both people in a relationship are younger and of a similar age, when problems do come up, as they normally do, things can escalate pretty fast and something that is minor can end up becoming a huge argument. Usually, if one person has a bit more maturity, and knows how to handle the situation, she/he can defuse it without it blowing up. It can be either the girl or the guy who is older, doesn't matter, it works the same way.

As for the whole, when you are 40, he will be 60 or when you are 50, she will be 60 argument, who knows what the future holds? Will the relationship even survive that long? If it DOES manage to survive 20 or 30 years or whatever, then it was probably a pretty good relationship to survive. Which is more than can be said for most relationships these days.
  • Options
    For the past year and a half, I've been having this "fling" with a girl who's currently 16. Met her when she was 15 and I was 18, now im 19 years old and I personally say that the relationship that I've been having it's not and will never be as gratifying as a serious relationship, no matter how short it is.
  • Options
    I think when you pass about 30, then huge age gaps might not matter that much. It's more important to take actual maturity into consideration. Defining a too narrow age gap might mean you're exluding many partners that could be good for you.
  • Options
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Surely your "own happiness" would be heavily affected from friends constantly giving you stick / being against it / telling you it's wrong / laughing at you for being unable to get anyone your own age? Or are you lot immune to criticism?!

i think that age dosnt really matter and as long as both people are mature and are happy about it they should be able to do what they want. also if your friends are like that then i wouldent really concider them friends if they cant let you live with the decision you made
  • Options
    phoenix24 wrote: »
    totally depends on age a guy going out with a 16 year old is wrong imo if he is above 19, but then 17 to 21 is just about doable. i know its not as black and white as that, but i come back to the point of 'why can this man not form a relationship with someone his own age?'

/rant on :mad:
    ok posts like this do my head in, who are you to say a relationship is wrong if both parties are happy/in love? would you apply the same thoughts to a same sex relationship? if so then you are a very narrow minded person,

has it occured to you that just because someone is attracted to someone younger/older than them its not because they "cannot get" someone of there own age but perhaps because there isnt currently anyone of theyre own age that they are attracted to,

i currently have a thing for a girl who is 16/17 im 21, am i a paedo? no, can i get someone my own age? yes, i have had several offers from girls my own age but (:rolleyes: and i'm sorry if this offends your idea of right and wrong:rolleyes: ) i wasnt attracted to them in that way so therefore i didnt go any further with them,

personally the whole "getting someone" comment is immensley immature, it implies being with someone for the sake of being with someone, now i agree that if someone starts "fishing lower down the age line" for the sake of not being single for more than 5 mins then i'd have to agree its pretty desperate, but you cannot control who you are attracted to, as long as both people are happy, love each other, and are both consenting to everything theyre relationship entails then why should age matter??

/rant off (for now :D )