Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drink Driving

2»

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    "If you're going to drink, don't drive. If you're going to drive, don't drink."
    Simple.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    As for getting in a car with a driver who was drunk - absolutely not. Never. I'd happily tell them to shove it, and that if anything happens to them whilst driving under the influence, tough. They'd have only themselves and their own idiocy to blame.

Not necessarily, there is the school of thought that would lay blame at your door too, for knowing what they were going to do and taking no action to prevent loss of life where you could have. Perhaps, only a brainless moron would not do their utmost to prevent them?
    If a person I knew died behind the wheel because they were over the limit, I wouldn't be sad, I'd be angry - angry at their sheer stupidity.

Really, you wouldn't be sad at the loss of human life? Only compassionless morons don't feel sad at unnecessary loss of human life!
  • Options
    I am totally against drink driving and would not get into a car with a drink driver. However I have driven before, after forgetting that I'd had one or two pints earlier that day. When you don't feel in anyway drunk, you totally forget about it. Just recently I was driving my brother to his friend's house just up the road. It was only half way through the journey I'd remembered that I'd had 2 pints in the pub earlier watching the football! I need to knock that on the head.
  • Options
    You forgot you had two pints?

Surely when you were drinking the 2nd pint it was on your mind that you might be over?
  • Options
    its the height of stupidity tbh

have only drove once myself drunk, didnt give a fuck at the time but realised how daft it was

got into car with someone drunk plenty of times, which is just as stupid, but you dont really think at the time. was in a pretty serious car crash as a result of this last year and that literally knocked a bit of sense into me
  • Options
    as a stupid unlicensed teenager drinking with my friends and speeding in stolen cars (never drove though)... seemed like fun at the time. i saw a kid i knew get hit by a car when i was younger it was horrible and he died - it put a stop to thinking that pissing around with cars was cool. i am a lot more grown up and sensible now and never drink alcohol, even a tiny bit and drive and am very cautious of speed limits which i keep to religiously.
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    its the height of stupidity tbh

:yes: If I've been out with my friends, they've either not drunk at all or only had a few. When my parents go out, they either don't drink at all or don't drive.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Not necessarily, there is the school of thought that would lay blame at your door too, for knowing what they were going to do and taking no action to prevent loss of life where you could have.
    :yeees: And what exactly can a person do to stop someone getting behind the wheel drunk? Perhaps I should smash open a bottle and puncture all the tyres? If they're determined to, they're gonna do it.
  • Options
    I've drove early in the morning after a big night a few times...Imagine it would have been pretty borderline if I'd got breathalysed. If I'm driving that same night I won't ever drink much. I've never been drunk but I used to have 2 or 3 pints and leave it a bit before driving...Always 'felt alright' but knowing people who've been caught for just that it's really not worth it. A ban, massive car insurance premiums after the ban and well obviously endangering other people too. Just not risks I'm prepared to take. These days might have a pint and drive but even then I always leave it a while.
  • Options
    :yeees: And what exactly can a person do to stop someone getting behind the wheel drunk? Perhaps I should smash open a bottle and puncture all the tyres? If they're determined to, they're gonna do it.

Ah, I see, where you think there's a change you might not succeed, you don't bother trying, right?
  • Options
    Its the height of ignorance. Imagine the lives you could take!

I've been swerving about town after a night out in mates car. Zig zagging through rusholme traffic, like a lunatic he was! It's so so dangerous and I cant believe we didn't cash and burn. Never again like!
  • Options

How about at least trying to do something about it?
  • Options
    I've always found making the keys 'disappear' slows someones progress when attempting to drive somewhat!
  • Options
    You forgot you had two pints?

Surely when you were drinking the 2nd pint it was on your mind that you might be over?

Well I'd been in the pub earlier just to watch the football. It didn't cross my mind there and then because I had no intention of driving that day. Went home after that and had been at home for a good few hours and had even eaten my dinner. When my brother asked for a lift to his mate's house, I just totally forgot that I'd been drinking earlier in the day. I know it was foolish and I have to start accounting for these things more.
  • Options
    How about at least trying to do something about it?
    Such as?
  • Options
    I've always found making the keys 'disappear' slows someones progress when attempting to drive somewhat!

chortle
  • Options
    Such as?

Taking their car keys, nagging them, calling a taxi, lying in front of the car and refusing to move, etc, etc.
  • Options
    A friend of mine killed himself and put his two best friends in hospital drink driving.

I will never ever advocate anyone have a single drink and then drive and I make my dissaproval very clear of anyone that does.

If I'm driving the next morning I won't drink anything and I certainly wouldn't if I was driving the same day.

IMO we should have a limit a quarter of what it is to prevent people drinking anything and driving.

If I was out/at a party and someone left to get in a car and I couldn't stop them I would call the police without a second thought.

It's just not worth it! Have a coke instead!
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »

and it made me worry as one of my mates drives drunk and under the influence of illegal substances (even ketamine)

Ket ? That's crazy man.

Nah I never drink and drive. Its obviously stupidly dangerous, but i'd lose my job if i couldn't drive. None of my mates drive pissed tbh but a fair few of them drive after pills.