Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drink Driving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so what exactly is everyone's opinions on drink driving?
Have you ever driven drunk? Do you drive after a couple? Would you ever get in a car with a driver who was drunk?

The reason why I ask is because quite alot of people have been fucked over for drink driving around here recently, and it made me worry as one of my mates drives drunk and under the influence of illegal substances (even ketamine) all the time, and stupidly in a state of intoxication, I have been in the car with him on many occaisions.
I have also been in the car with people who have only had a few, but this is still in theory lethal. But then I have other mates who won't drive even after a half pint, and would never go in anyone's car who has been drinking.

I don't drive, and if I did, then I certainly wouldn't drink drive, but I do now how people change their minds after a few beverages.
I did take my second driving lesson on pills, but there was a story behind why that happened...

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't know much about drinking, like if it's possible to tell for yourself at which point you start acting like an idiot, but I do think that unless you know for a fact (based on past experience and NOT on how you feel at the moment) that you can think fine, you shouldn't even think of driving. People who do that are simply idiots.
    I also think that if someone you know is obviously too drunk to drive safely then it's your responsibility to not let them drive. I think that if one of my friends was tipsy and thought about driving, I'd much rather call the police if I had to than let him get in the car.

Having said that, I am guilty of letting my dad drive after a couple of wine glasses, and sometimes enter the car with him, but I've never the slightest indication that he wasn't thinking right when that happened.
  • Options
    Been in a car with drunk drivers loads of times. It's just as stupid as getting behind the wheel drunk itself. Been involved in a few collisions as result of this, nothing too serious thank fuck. Won't do it again though, know that for a fact.
  • Options
    I am a convicted drink driver, I had driven over the limit quite a few times, and I used to always think it was OK to drive stoned, as in every night, no matter how stoned.. how wrong could I be in reality!

The thing I am most ashamed of is that I have twice driven over the limit since getting my license back, only marginally, as in borderline, but still, I reckon I would of been over, one of those times I even got pulled and I vowed never to be so stupid again.. but I did.

I think in the last 6 months+ something deep has changed in me, and I'm really starting to understand the consequences of my actions on all parties involved. Somewhat selfishly, my main priority is not hurting myself or getting sent to prison and not being able to be with my son, but tbh I just want any reason strong enough to stop the behaviour.

9 times out of 10, when I have done it has when I have been depressed and down and I seem to go into a self destructive mode, but I am only lucky I have never hurt anyone else I guess.

I know people who regularly drive on pills, powder, coke etc, .. being a pint over the legal 'limit' seems to pale in comparison.
  • Options
    I never drink at all if i am driving, on a night out if i choose to drive which i used to do every thursday night but that was when i was younger, i always stuck to lemonade all night and then was cool to drive. But i did once have one shot of something because it was all that was left from a tray of them and as it was still 8am and i had about 6 hours before i was driving home i didnt think it would matter much and it didnt, i drank about 10 pints of lemonade after it so washed it out of my system.

I do have friends who have been at house parties and driven to them and despite knowing it was going to be an all night raver and they wouldnt be getting any sleep at all (which is dangerous itself when driving), they have gotten fucked off their faces, proper falling down, slurring drunk and then driven home or to work in the morning, swerving around the roads at 5 or 6am. I proper had ago at them when they told me too and they were just like, hey i was starting to sober up by then and it was so early no one else was on the road so its no big deal. And i was just like... WHAT? Coz they easily could have hit someone or smashed up their car.

But generally the only people i know who do that often are girls, most of the guys i know dont drink and drive, but both girls and guys smoke weed and do coke and drive.
  • Options
    I dont drive but i wouldnt ever get in the car with someone who was drunk or when i do learn to drive do it drunk myself. I fail to see how someone can think its alright to get behind the wheel of a car while drunk. It costs lives. Those who have been caught why did you do it again? You wouldnt like it if someone you cared about was killed by a repeat drink driver im sure.
  • Options
    Yeah I've been in a car with somebody who was a drunk a couple of times. Fucking stupid thing to do.

I'm with my Mam and Dad on this one though - they don't drive even if they've just had a sip of wine. If something happened then they'd always be thinking "what if I hadn't had that one glass of wine, would my recations have been that bit quicker?"
  • Options
    I drive, and I drink, but never ever ever together. :no: :no: :no:

If I'm going to a smart party for someones birthday I'll have a tiny glass of fizz at the start if it's on offer for the toast if I know I'm not driving for another 5 hours or so.

I won't get in the car if someone's been drinking and they're planning on driving, and I've been known to hide car keys and persuade people to sleep on the floor when they've planned to drive after drinking.
  • Options
    I drove after a few cheeky pints, but never been really pissed.

I have been in a car with someone whos had a drink, sometimes though I wont get in the car. I try and make a judgement about their ability to drive then make my decission.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Drink driving is bad, I can think of many worse things though. I'm sure loads of people drive to work over the limit in the mornings, old people too.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Drink driving is bad, I can think of many worse things though. I'm sure loads of people drive to work over the limit in the mornings, old people too.

Agreed on both counts.

I actually find older people very bad! Back in their day apparantley it used to be just what people did, it was the source of many laughs people trying to drive home pissed - and no one, including the law, cared - madness!

I know people even in their 70's who seem to regularly drink drive..
  • Options
    Agreed on both counts.

I actually find older people very bad! Back in their day apparantley it used to be just what people did, it was the source of many laughs people trying to drive home pissed - and no one, including the law, cared - madness!

I know people even in their 70's who seem to regularly drink drive..

Oh. That makes it ok then. :rolleyes:

There were less cars on the roads back then so MAYBE there was slightly less danger but it doesnt make it ok.
  • Options
    eh? what makes what ok?
  • Options
    I got the impression that he was saying its not such a bad thing because it used to happen in the 70s. Maybe I was mistaken but drink driving whenever, wherever is totally unacceptable in my opinion.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Oh. That makes it ok then. :rolleyes:

There were less cars on the roads back then so MAYBE there was slightly less danger but it doesnt make it ok.

where did I say that something made "it" OK?
  • Options
    I got the impression that he was saying its not such a bad thing because it used to happen in the 70s. Maybe I was mistaken but drink driving whenever, wherever is totally unacceptable in my opinion.

And that impression was created by what exactly .. ?
  • Options
    And that impression was created by what exactly .. ?

I made an error of judgement ok? Get off my back.
  • Options
    I made an error of judgement ok? Get off my back.

I didn't ask you to cry like a little girl, I asked you what created that impression incase it was worded poorly and needed changing - you know, clarification?

You were quick enough to "get on my back" when you made your error though, weren't you? :rolleyes:
  • Options

:yes:

And I think that doesn't help with people of your generation. You missed out on the whole social outcasting aspect. So it's almost like it's as acceptable now as it was when the generation older than me was doing it.

Having said that, I suspect it's as much drugs these days as it was drink before around my day.

Personally I have never driven after any alcohol.
  • Options

And I think that doesn't help with people of your generation. You missed out on the whole social outcasting aspect. So it's almost like it's as acceptable now as it was when the generation older than me was doing it.

Yeah, it's mad, it's like that middle generation have the real bad stigma with it, but before and after seems a bit of a fuckin mess eh !
  • Options
    Yeah, it's mad, it's like that middle generation have the real bad stigma with it, but before and after seems a bit of a fuckin mess eh !

You think ? Im not sure what generations your talking about. When I worked in car insurance 90% of drink drivers were between 40-55 years old.

Im not saying this is a good representation but just from the observations I made, it seemed this age group who found it more socially acceptable.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    You think ? Im not sure what generations your talking about. When I worked in car insurance 90% of drink drivers were between 40-55 years old.

Im not saying this is a good representation but just from the observations I made, it seemed this age group who found it more socially acceptable.

I meant the generation that MOK refers to, which I believe he is about 29 years old?

I am only 24 but it is a lot more acceptable amoung my friends of my age or younger, than my friends who are 30-35..

The 45-50 year + seems to be where there was no problems socially with it at all - as in consequences, stigma etc.
  • Options
    I've moved my car when I was drunk, though it was literally about 20 metres forward in a straight line on a side road, from the 10 minute parking to the 2 hour parking (so I didn't have to get up at 8 to pick it up). And I may have drove the morning after, but I'm usually pretty good about this sort of thing and walk instead if I still feel a bit under the influence.
  • Options
    I didn't ask you to cry like a little girl, I asked you what created that impression incase it was worded poorly and needed changing - you know, clarification?

You were quick enough to "get on my back" when you made your error though, weren't you? :rolleyes:

And I told you I made a mistake. Noone cried like a little girl, no need to get personal about it.
  • Options
    wah wah boohoo

;) chill out mate.
  • Options
    I'm really careful about driving the morning after too, although I know a lot of people who aren't.

Our local cops did an education thing a couple of years ago at Christmas breathalysing commuters on the station platform in the morning, found a lot of people still over from the night before.

If you're really drunk then the not thinking properly is a major problem but even when someone is just over the limit they won't react as fast.
  • Options
    I won't drink at all if I'm driving. There isn't any point endangering your own life and those of the people you care about.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

Exactly, I'm the generation following that and I was learning to drive as the increased police interest came about. Being the designated driver means nothing to me because I've done it ever since I could drive.

Those older than I were already used to taking the risk of being caught and so many carried on.

Those ten years younger were too young to notice the difference. They didn;t see what lead up to the police increasing the stop and test.

Interestingly, I also see more younger people driving without seatbelts than older ones....
  • Options
    Exactly, I'm the generation following that and I was learning to drive as the increased police interest came about. Being the designated driver means nothing to me because I've done it ever since I could drive.

Those older than I were already used to taking the risk of being caught and so many carried on.

Those ten years younger were too young to notice the difference. They didn;t see what lead up to the police increasing the stop and test.

Interestingly, I also see more younger people driving without seatbelts than older ones....

They always have one thing that they focus on. You got drink driving, we've got speeding. You got the Russians, we've got Osama. You got HIV, we've got everything else.
  • Options
    I think that drink-driving is repulsive, frankly. Only a brainless moron would do it. I have never got behind the wheel drunk, and neither do I intend to. If I am going to be driving later that day, or even the next morning, I'll leave the alcohol to others. I'm not taking such risks. As for getting in a car with a driver who was drunk - absolutely not. Never. I'd happily tell them to shove it, and that if anything happens to them whilst driving under the influence, tough. They'd have only themselves and their own idiocy to blame. If a person I knew died behind the wheel because they were over the limit, I wouldn't be sad, I'd be angry - angry at their sheer stupidity.
  • Options
    You got drink driving, we've got speeding.

I've often mulled over that to myself, that I am basically OK with speeding, although the last few years during the campaign I have slowed down a lot and now don't really speed through villages etc, but I am still happy to do 100 on the motorway.. and I wonder in 10/15 years will my son be totally appauled because his generation just don't do it, when it was kind of totally OK a few ago when I passed my test