Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why do we need the arms fair?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Rifle is kept without BOLT in the safe, Bolt kept in seperate safe, Ammo kept in a final safe/ lockbox, each with a combination/key combo,

Until you put it down on the side just before you put it in the car to go hunting. ;) Incidentally, can someone tell me why you're not allowed to hunt with a bow and arrow or crossbow, but are allowed to hunt with a gun?
  • Options
    dmdsexgod wrote: »
    If no one owns guns than how will we kill animals for food?

:confused:

The UK we have these places called butchers or supermarkets...
  • Options
    Until you put it down on the side just before you put it in the car to go hunting. ;) Incidentally, can someone tell me why you're not allowed to hunt with a bow and arrow or crossbow, but are allowed to hunt with a gun?
    never assemble the bolt in the house before going out hunting, the ammo and bolt is kept in a lockbox safe (portable) to take with myself hunting, there for only being unlocked when on site
  • Options
    Erm, what's a bolt? :blush:
  • Options

:D

You really think every animal in the world that is killed and put onto our plates is done with a gun? Madness!
  • Options

I've always assumed its due to how clean a kill is. Bullets cause alot of shock so can kill quite quickly but an arrow will be more like a high velocity stab from a knife or screwdriver; eventually lethal but traumatic up until the time of death. I think its why you cant shoot a deer with a shotgun in the UK.
  • Options
    Until you put it down on the side just before you put it in the car to go hunting. ;)

That seems like an argument that weapons need licening and people only should be allowed them once they've shown they how to handle them properly.

I've spent much of my life around weapons and I've never had a negligent discharge.

Incidentally, can someone tell me why you're not allowed to hunt with a bow and arrow or crossbow, but are allowed to hunt with a gun?

Probably to do with the damage - a fox being hit by a bullet is likely to be killed pretty quickly. Or if its injured you can quickly reload/work the bolt and give it the coup de grace.

With arrows they're less likely to kill, and reload time means that an injured animal is likely to get away before you can reload (or whatever the technical term is for arrows) and die a painful death of gangrene several weeks later.
  • Options
    Probably to do with the damage - a fox being hit by a bullet is likely to be killed pretty quickly. Or if its injured you can quickly reload/work the bolt and give it the coup de grace.

With arrows they're less likely to kill, and reload time means that an injured animal is likely to get away before you can reload (or whatever the technical term is for arrows) and die a painful death of gangrene several weeks later.

Wierd really. There's no problem with letting a fish suffocate to death, or a rat choke to death on poison though. I think fox hunting is more about the stress of the chase rather than the death itself. Strange how they judge what is an acceptable and unacceptable way of killing an animal. In terms of suffering, I'd say that drowning a puppy and leaving a fish out of water is a pretty similar death. Maybe if you have poison-tipped arrows. :chin:

Incidentally, I'd say that a bow and arrow is quicker to reload than a shotgun. I was looking into kyudo classes in Japan, and in one of them, you go into the countryside once you've been doing it for a while and go hunting traditional Japanese style. I was hoping to come back dressed as a samurai and bring a bow and arrow to the Lake District. But alas, it's not allowed.
  • Options
    Wierd really. There's no problem with letting a fish suffocate to death, or a rat choke to death on poison though. I think fox hunting is more about the stress of the chase rather than the death itself. Strange how they judge what is an acceptable and unacceptable way of killing an animal. In terms of suffering, I'd say that drowning a puppy and leaving a fish out of water is a pretty similar death. Maybe if you have poison-tipped arrows. :chin:

Mammalism?

Or rather cute Mammalism...

On fox hunting I think its more to do with the perception that it's toffs that hunt. It many cases it was more class hatred than any particular care for foxes. Anglong is seen more as working class sport...
  • Options
    Mammalism?

Or rather cute Mammalism...

On fox hunting I think its more to do with the perception that it's toffs that hunt. It many cases it was more class hatred than any particular care for foxes. Anglong is seen more as working class sport...

Gotta agree with that. Although in my case it was more the fact that they were all such liars. I'd respect them a lot more if they'd just come out with it and said they enjoy getting toffed up to the nines, getting on their horse and prancing about in the country looking for small animals to kill. All this bollocks about pest control was just that. If it was pest control, you'd be wearing whatever was most practical. And funny they were only interested in one especially entertaining form of "pest control". Either way, yeah, I agree that most people genuinely didn't give much of a shit about the hunting ban either way. It's not how I'd choose to spend my Sunday, and if I owned a load of land, I probably wouldn't let them on it, but tbh, there are more important things in the world than a few foxes being killed.
  • Options
    Erm, what's a bolt? :blush:

working part of the rifle
  • Options

There are much more humane ways to kill animals.
  • Options

Incidentally, I'd say that a bow and arrow is quicker to reload than a shotgun. I was looking into kyudo classes in Japan, and in one of them, you go into the countryside once you've been doing it for a while and go hunting traditional Japanese style. I was hoping to come back dressed as a samurai and bring a bow and arrow to the Lake District. But alas, it's not allowed.

I think it's also about the perception of the animals intelligence and 'being-ness'. Not sure how to define it. What we would call humanity, for humans. For example, an insect we don't really register as having feelings etc. but a full grown stag or elephant we will watch for hours (well, maybe not that long unless you're bored) thinking, wouldn't it be cool to know what they're thinking? Self awareness I guess you could call it.

Is a fish aware of itself? Or is it just a complex arrangement of nerves designed to give it automatic reflexes? I mean, I'm not saying they're lesser - but I think thats the reason why some animals are seen as 'ok' to kill and some are not.
  • Options
    Well yes of course because keeping a rifle is always dangerous even though..

Rifle is kept without BOLT in the safe, Bolt kept in seperate safe, Ammo kept in a final safe/ lockbox, each with a combination/key combo,

and don't even start on the fact that I have a son and will own licences, Laura's father owned guns and I grew up around them, unlike some I am responsable so DO NOT even comment on the fact i have a son and will own a gun.
    fine, i am sorry i take it back, i just do not see the point in guns at all! if you want to hunt then surey using a bow and arrow is far more satisfying (well, it would be for me, a because i love archery, and b it feels like i've had to put some more energy into that pulling a trigger) and using little 'un as an excuse was unacceptable. I am sorry...

thing i don't get though, is a bullet has far larger potencial to go astray and more likely to cause "collateral damage", i.e. 1 arrow will go through 1 body if you line people up...a bullet has the potencial to go much further... and is thus far more dangerous
  • Options
    hunting is for morons anyway.
  • Options
    lol weight lifting
  • Options
    hunting is for morons anyway.
    not when it's for food....
  • Options
    not when it's for food....

Obviously!

Recreational hunting I meant..

minime - something funny about weight lifting ?
  • Options
    fine, i am sorry i take it back, i just do not see the point in guns at all! if you want to hunt then surey using a bow and arrow is far more satisfying (well, it would be for me, a because i love archery, and b it feels like i've had to put some more energy into that pulling a trigger) and using little 'un as an excuse was unacceptable. I am sorry...

thing i don't get though, is a bullet has far larger potencial to go astray and more likely to cause "collateral damage", i.e. 1 arrow will go through 1 body if you line people up...a bullet has the potencial to go much further... and is thus far more dangerous

whilst that's true, when you learn to hunt there's rules like you shoot at a target when they have ground behind them i.e. they're on a hill slope. So then if the bullet does go through or miss it will land in the ground.

But also bullets designed for hunting tend to have higher calibres and higher stopping power which may reduce the chance of it passing through.

I'm not an expert though, saw it on the discovery channel!
  • Options
    I think a lot of hunters use dum-dum, which have lower penetration and a greater likelihood to be fatal (same reason police use them).
  • Options
    Obviously!

Recreational hunting I meant..

minime - something funny about weight lifting ?

yes. its for morons
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    yes. its for morons

any reasoning behind your thought or have you just got shit for brains?
  • Options
    ug ug
  • Options
    Do you have any actual reasons or not?
  • Options
    bow hunting is illegal in theuk
  • Options
    thats stupid....
  • Options
    bow hunting is illegal in theuk

not in all places, believe you can kill certain people on a saturday in a certain uk town :S

one of those old weird laws