Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

why do we need the arms fair?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dunno got alot of stuff i could sell ;)

no.. im a big milteria fanatic :D
  • Options
    all industries are like that, if there was no demand they'd go out of business.....

if protecting jobs is that important, why is our own government trying to find a way to avoid buying the last 88 eurofighters of our order, most of the parts being made by BAE or EADS

if we made good enough fighter planes, we could avoid selling to nasty regiemes as other democracies would purchase them off of us

i don't see the americans, home of capitalism, flogging their F22s and other numerous advanced bombers either

i ask you, should we sell chemical/nuclear weapons to other countries to whom we sell conventional weapons?

Not necessarily, some industries - like the industry for potatoes - if potatoes disappeared people would eat pasta. There wouldn't be a black market for potatoes :p

Or even luxury cars, if they were banned most people would grin and bear it.
  • Options
    Its a nasty industry - but as has been pointed out if we didnt do it someone else would.

BUT - having said that some small controls could be put into place relatively easily which would at least help restrict arms going to places like the DRC or Somalia which I'm sure we can agree already have far too many.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Not necessarily, some industries - like the industry for potatoes - if potatoes disappeared people would eat pasta. There wouldn't be a black market for potatoes :p

there would be, anything that isn't traded legally often has an associated black market, as long as it has a value there's a black market it just wouldn't be as lucrative

the move to stop export of torture equipment is good, which includes modified cattle prods for example

are you saying we should sell to anyone, im not saying stop the arms trade completly, im saying we should limit to whom we sell and what we sell at discretion or not

selling machine guns to the chinese would be fine as they aren't used to repress the people even if it isn't desirable, but selling things for 'internal security' wouldn't be fine at all - bad example as most machine guns are made in china anyway :p
  • Options
    selling machine guns to the chinese would be fine as they aren't used to repress the people even if it isn't desirable, but selling things for 'internal security' wouldn't be fine at all - bad example as most machine guns are made in china anyway :p

Also a bad example if you're a Tibetian...
  • Options
    Don't go calling out the brittish government for an arms fair. america sells around 3 times of what britain sells, and we need guns, already 1 out of 12 people owns a gun, we need to sell guns for people to defend themselves agains the people who have guns. I have a dream of one day everyone in the world owning a gun. I live in america and our president is a moron, pull the troops out for christs sake because if we control iraq then terrorists will go to the Uk and kill brittish citizens then send planes and blow up america.
  • Options
    Also a bad example if you're a Tibetian...

yeh i just made up an example, don't have to be a good one
  • Options
    That's because we want our shells to penetrate tanks, not bounce off them.

Most of the evidence suggests its off no harm to humans (well apart from those in the exploding tank).

Cancer rates have skyrocketted in Iraq. I wonder why...?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    Cancer rates have skyrocketted in Iraq. I wonder why...?

Lack of medical infrastructure would be the main reason...

Especially as most of the DU was used in Kuwait and there cancer rates haven't changed much...
  • Options
    Lack of medical infrastructure would be the main reason...

Especially as most of the DU was used in Kuwait and there cancer rates haven't changed much...

I would agree with you on that one. Cancer rates are not based on DU, its based on how bad a living condition the country has.
  • Options
    dmdsexgod wrote: »
    Don't go calling out the brittish government for an arms fair. america sells around 3 times of what britain sells, and we need guns, already 1 out of 12 people owns a gun, we need to sell guns for people to defend themselves agains the people who have guns. I have a dream of one day everyone in the world owning a gun. I live in america and our president is a moron, pull the troops out for christs sake because if we control iraq then terrorists will go to the Uk and kill brittish citizens then send planes and blow up america.
    this philosophy is what is getting young kids shot on the streets...

how does a gun defend yourself against another gun if the other person gets in the first shot and it's in your head?

how about no one has guns, and thus if someone comes along and hits you, you can hit them back and no one else gets hurt? sounds much better in my opinion.

and for your information, no only do we have far fewer guns per head we have a lower gun crime rate too. because the british goverment doesn't glorify the ownership of guns...unlike the US
  • Options
    this philosophy is what is getting young kids shot on the streets...

how does a gun defend yourself against another gun if the other person gets in the first shot and it's in your head?

how about no one has guns, and thus if someone comes along and hits you, you can hit them back and no one else gets hurt? sounds much better in my opinion.

and for your information, no only do we have far fewer guns per head we have a lower gun crime rate too. because the british goverment doesn't glorify the ownership of guns...unlike the US

im talking about the world rate of gun ownership being 1 to 12 not just in america, all over. and actually how would you explain those james bond movies then if brittain doesnt glorify the ownership of guns?
  • Options
    Why would you dream of a world where everyone has a gun? Surely a world where everyone doesn't have a gun is better?

That's a seriously shitty attitude you have man.
  • Options
    im talking about the world rate of gun ownership being 1 to 12 not just in america, all over. and actually how would you explain those james bond movies then if brittain doesnt glorify the ownership of guns?

She said british goverment, not britain, idiot.
  • Options

James Bond is a movie, and can be taken as fiction by most.

Ownership of guns is generally not acceptable in the UK to most of the population. The laws on what sort of firearms you can buy, and the requirements to own them are pretty strict over here.

No-one owning guns is by far the most sensible mindset.
  • Options

What good will owning guns do to anyone? And more to the point, why would anyone need a gun?
  • Options
    shoot stuff
  • Options

:yes: And James Bond isn't a private citizen, he's a Naval Commander on attachement to MI6. He's licenced to carry a gun and kill people in the performance of his duties. It's certainly not an argument that everyone should be armed..
  • Options

.. but also the least likely eventuality.
  • Options
    im sorry but why should some fucking retards stop decent honest people from owning guns for LEGITIMATE reasons

i own severl air weapons and plan on getting my rifle licence and bolt action soon.
  • Options
    because theres no need to own guns wargh :no: :rolleyes: :crying:
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Really?

Hmmm ok

Range shooting
    Field shooting
    Hunting

Three examples of why I WILL own several guns
  • Options

Theres no need to own a TV but most people do, just because you dont enjoy shooting isnt a reason to ban it all togather
  • Options
    i thought the "wargh" and smilies was enough to show that i was being sarcastic :D
  • Options
    i thought the "wargh" and smilies was enough to show that i was being sarcastic :D
    sorry dude ;)
  • Options
    Shooting in a range, a field or hunting are not good enough reasons for the existence of guns! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Shooting in a range, a field or hunting are not good enough reasons for the existence of guns! :rolleyes:

They aren't reasons for the existence of guns, but a reason for them being legal in the UK.

Is that a problem then, if so why?
  • Options
    (to hellfire)
    hunting is the only reason you would want a gun, and with a little 'un i think it's silly you have guns in the house, like i have said before, reguardless if they are locked up or not, they are still dangerous...
  • Options

Ownership of guns is generally not acceptable in the UK to most of the population. The laws on what sort of firearms you can buy, and the requirements to own them are pretty strict over here.

If no one owns guns than how will we kill animals for food?
  • Options
    (to hellfire)
    hunting is the only reason you would want a gun, and with a little 'un i think it's silly you have guns in the house, like i have said before, reguardless if they are locked up or not, they are still dangerous...
    Well yes of course because keeping a rifle is always dangerous even though..

Rifle is kept without BOLT in the safe, Bolt kept in seperate safe, Ammo kept in a final safe/ lockbox, each with a combination/key combo,

and don't even start on the fact that I have a son and will own licences, Laura's father owned guns and I grew up around them, unlike some I am responsable so DO NOT even comment on the fact i have a son and will own a gun.