Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

hair probs.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey ho.

two things at risk of sounding like a complete idiot.

1. i have quite dry hair. but it gets greasy quickly. so what kind of products can i use to counteract this? i use shampoo conditioner and like a straightening balm, thats it. by the way my hair is coloured and its red so i cant use anything like head and shoulders because i will have to dye my hair like weekly then!

2. i get terrible bedhead and am starting a new job soon when i have to leave the house at like half seven to get there on time. please please tell me how i can control my hair overnight so i dont wake up like worzel gummidge. i cant be bothered to get up at like six to wash my hair every day!

thanks. x

Comments

• Options
    Ok.... problem number one:

I colour my hair to within a millimetre of it's life. I got told to use tresemme heat defence. I did. It worked.

Problem number two:

I get terrible bedhead too, and also leave at 7.30 (sucks, don't it?) and unfortunately you have two options- either get up early enough to have freshly washed, styled hair, or learn to deal with the bedhead! I washed my hair last night as I knew dragging myself out of bed early this morning would be too painful. I'm starting to regret it as my hair looks messy. As much as you can try and work the unkempt, bedhead look, that only ever seems to work in magazines.
  • Options
    My girlfriend brushes her hair to get rid of all the notty bits and then she has a nice weird kind of pony tail.

Like, first just a pony tail, then take the bottom half and tuck it in, so it looks like a round bit of hair at the back. It looks lovely.

Just a suggestion though. She also uses tres semme heat defence.

She says the easy way to do her hair is just mountains of hair spray and scrunch it.
  • Options
    I have greasy hair and found when I used a shampoo and conditioner combined (I assume that's what you meant) it made me hair extra greasy you should try a shampoo for greasy and coloured hair and a conditioner once or twice a week.
  • Options
    pinkvans wrote: »
    i cant be bothered to get up at like six to wash my hair every day!

If you're washing your hair every day, there's your problem; you're only supposed to do it every second day.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Kiezo wrote: »
    If you're washing your hair every day, there's your problem; you're only supposed to do it every second day.

:yes: And also straightening your hair will make it greasy. Using more products isn't the answer
  • Options
    I'm sure i read that to stop getting bed hair to get silk pillow cases...
  • Options
    i wash it every day because it looks manky otherwise, but i think it may be down to the products i use. just washed my hair and used only a weeny bit of conditioner thinking that might help. i use the hot straight stuff and im wondering if it might be that, should get me some tresemme really!
  • Options
    Dinted wrote: »
    I'm sure i read that to stop getting bed hair to get silk pillow cases...

mate, i'm on minimum wage, all my bedding comes from tescos, if it hasn't been donated by my nan. silk pillowcases indeed!;)
  • Options
    I use the same smoothing stuff as you and it's been ok for me.
    You could try charity shops for cheap silk scarves and cover your pillow with them.
  • Options
    pinkvans wrote: »
    i wash it every day because it looks manky otherwise, but i think it may be down to the products i use. just washed my hair and used only a weeny bit of conditioner thinking that might help. i use the hot straight stuff and im wondering if it might be that, should get me some tresemme really!

Washing it every day is probably why it looks manky. A strange amount of people end up washing their hair every day because they have greasy hair, when infact that's the reason they have it. Your hair needs its natural oils, and washing it every day strips your hair of them. To compensate, your body produces more and you get greasy hair.
  • Options
    I dont buy that... I never used to wash my hair every day and it gradually started getting really greasy every time I woke up, so need to wash it every morning now or I feel rough.

Some people just produce more ...err grease? than others i think.
  • Options
    the whole "you shouldnt wash your hair every day" line is a myth

it's all down to personal choice, wash it when you like!

as long as you use the right shampoo to wash it with everyday, there shouldnt be a problem
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    the whole "you shouldnt wash your hair every day" line is a myth

For the majority of guys (and some girls) who use a generic shampoo, yes. But for people who shampoo a few times, then condition, then blow dry 'til it's completely dry, then straighten, etc etc. it fucks up your hair. It's not just the washing, it's the whole process.
  • Options
    Not sure whether you have straight or curly hair. My mate with straight hair used to put talcum powder on it when it started to get greasy!! Seemed to work too. I have curly hair and just spray a bit of water on it in the morning (to stop it sticking up at odd angles) and then just put some mousse on it to tame it. I used to wash it all the time or at least soak it every morning to brush it but it's in so much better condition now I've stopped doing that.
  • Options
    i know lots of people who shampoo, condition, blow dry and straighten their hair daily and it isnt at all manky

its down to hair type and personal choice...there is no "right" or "wrong" about it IMO :)
  • Options
    ^I agree. I know lots of people who wash their hair daily, and it's fine. There's no rule that says you must wash your hair a certain amount of times on a certain day. That's why we have free will :thumb:
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    If the oil producing cells on your scalp produce too much oil then you'll suffer from greasy hair.

If you suffer from greasy hair you should:
    Avoid combing or brushing your hair too often - that can produce extra oil.
    Keep your hairstyle simple.
    Keep out of the direct sun and use warm rather than hot water when washing your hair.

If you suffer from greasy hair then washing your hair every 2 or 3 days in warm water but don't scrub your scalp too much will reduce the amount of oil.

Buy a simple shampoo which contains few additives and no conditioner. Conditioners can make greasy hair worse.
    Littleali wrote:
    its down to hair type and personal choice...there is no "right" or "wrong" about it IMO

There is no right or wrong, but what has been stated above is what will increase grease in your hair.
  • Options
    You're making out like I'm trying to force some oppressive hair-Nazi regime on people :razz:

Obviously it's down to personal choice/free will, but the fact remains, some washing habits make your hair greasier.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Washing it every day is probably why it looks manky. A strange amount of people end up washing their hair every day because they have greasy hair, when infact that's the reason they have it. Your hair needs its natural oils, and washing it every day strips your hair of them. To compensate, your body produces more and you get greasy hair.
    This is definitely true, i washed my hair every day up until a few months back. Then i started washing it every other day, yes it was a little greasy on the days i didnt wash it, but it is getting better.

You could try washing it every other day, straighten it the day you wash it and then the next day wear it up in a ponytail.
  • Options
    Washing your everyday isn't very good for it as it strips the hair of all it's natural oils.

Giving your hair a days break in between washes will help its condition alot. If you really stuggle on those in between days, use a dry shampoo spray or some talcom powder to cover up the greasiness.
  • Options
    Also, when using conditioner remember to only use it on the ends of your hair - your roots don't need it so much, and that can make your hair seem greasier.

Using too much product can really mess up your hair. I wash, condition and then blow dry my hair using a heat protecting spray to almost dry every second day. If i'm going 'out' then i'll spray it a little more and then straighten it, and put a little wax on. My hair sounds like yours, but this seems to work quite well.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    i know lots of people who shampoo, condition, blow dry and straighten their hair daily and it isnt at all manky

its down to hair type and personal choice...there is no "right" or "wrong" about it IMO :)

What conditioner or products do they use to do that daily routine and still have nice hair?! I started blow drying and straightening my hair every other day and it completely frazzled it within a couple of weeks. Or is it just different people, with different hair types?
  • Options
    It could also be a build up of products you can get a shampoo that you use every so often that removes them without any build up.
  • Options
    Or is it just different people, with different hair types?

I would have thought that has a lot to do with it. I wash, condition, blowdry and straighten my hair every day and its in great condition. Even the hairdressers comment on what good condition its in, they're always surprised when I tell them how often I do it. I can't leave mine though, it doesn't just get a little greasy it gets like an oil slick if I do it every other day.

To the OP, I personally would get up early and do it. I used to have to leave at 7AM for school, and just got up and did it all before I left every day.
  • Options
    I go for a simple twist and clip kinda thing when I'm feeling too lazy. My hair is curly when it wants but ive taken to wearing it straight and I dont like the idea of always attacking it with my straightners... Hence the up and hidden style!

As for the shampoo debate, my hair (and skin and everything really) looked amazing when I came back from the Alps- I'd spent 7 weeks wild camping. I washed my face in the stream every morning I could face it, and washed my hair maybe once a week (in the stream) when it was warm enough or when I was just getting disgusting. The put a little bit of leave in conditioner on the ends.

While I credit a lot of it to the clean air and exercise, I think giving my hair a break from all the junk it normal takes did it wonders. And there was no-one around apart from a few sheep and goats to notice!
  • Options
    smitherz wrote: »
    If the oil producing cells on your scalp produce too much oil then you'll suffer from greasy hair.

If you suffer from greasy hair you should:
    Avoid combing or brushing your hair too often - that can produce extra oil.
    Keep your hairstyle simple.
    Keep out of the direct sun and use warm rather than hot water when washing your hair.

If you suffer from greasy hair then washing your hair every 2 or 3 days in warm water but don't scrub your scalp too much will reduce the amount of oil.

Buy a simple shampoo which contains few additives and no conditioner. Conditioners can make greasy hair worse.

There is no right or wrong, but what has been stated above is what will increase grease in your hair.

seems there are different opinions on the matter...

Myth No. 13: Washing Hair Every Day Dries It Out
    False. The right shampoo for your hair type and texture will actually add moisture, body and beauty to your hair. The key is to finding the correct shampoo designed for your hair.

Washing hair frequently is harmful.
    False. You should wash your hair before it gets dirty. Otherwise, particles of grime could damage your hair when you comb it. Harsh products like soap can damage your hair, but a good shampoo with conditioner will not only clean your hair, but will actually improve its condition – however often you wash it.

there was a hair and scalp expert on this morning once, and he said if possible you SHOULD wash it everyday

but like i said, mixed views so do whatever's best for you! :)
  • Options
    What conditioner or products do they use to do that daily routine and still have nice hair?! I started blow drying and straightening my hair every other day and it completely frazzled it within a couple of weeks. Or is it just different people, with different hair types?

just the norm, nothing expensive

i wash mine every other day but because its thick, it can handle it, i also straighten it EVERY day

think it is very much down to hair types
  • Options
    Seems even hairdressers can't agree:
    “Washing hair everyday will fade color faster, strip it of its natural oilsand if the shampoo/conditioner is too heavy can be weighed down and static-y—it can be too clean,” says Kristin Steckler, a stylist at Tonic II Salon in Las Vegas.

Tony Promiscuo, owner and artistic director of Godiva Salon in the Buckhead area of Atlanta, disagrees. “The only way to have a fresh look is to wash and style your hair daily. Unless you are extremely fortunate and have unusual circumstances hair that has been slept in looks like it. However the proper shampoo is the key. See your stylist for a professional recommendation.”

“Unless you have extremely oily hair, you should try to forgo washing your hair daily as it strips hair of its natural oils that maintain the health and natural moisture balance of your hair,” says Tim Rogers, editorial stylist for Charles Worthington London. “In fact, many people prefer their hair 24 hours after washing or visiting the salon. It looks and feels its best and is more manageable with less frizz and easier to style.”

Having said that, I have noticed that most of the people who advocate washing every day are either peddling hair products or dealing with problem hair. Funny, that! :chin:
  • Options
    I really don't get girls who get up every single day, wash, condition, blow dry and straighten their hair every single morning before work/college/uni. How can they be bothered? That whole process takes me at least an hour, and that's rushing!

I just put my hair up in a clip or in a pony tail in the daytime and only really make an effort with it when I'm going out.

Satin pillowcases are good at keeping your hair smooth.
  • Options
    I bought some of this http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1026155&classificationid=1037346&slmRefer=000 the other day (it's cheaper at Tesco) for the pony because he has really dry, coarse hair at the top of his tail and above his feet.

Put it on last night, went up this morning and the hair already feels so soft and silky. Ok I'm sure he has much thicker hair than you, but I was impressed.