Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

hair probs.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I bought some of this http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1026155&classificationid=1037346&slmRefer=000 the other day (it's cheaper at Tesco) for the pony because he has really dry, coarse hair at the top of his tail and above his feet.

Put it on last night, went up this morning and the hair already feels so soft and silky. Ok I'm sure he has much thicker hair than you, but I was impressed.

Ah bless ya heart! (I do the same when I buy products for my dog's coat- I always test them on myself before I put them on him though :blush: )
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Washing it every day is probably why it looks manky. A strange amount of people end up washing their hair every day because they have greasy hair, when infact that's the reason they have it. Your hair needs its natural oils, and washing it every day strips your hair of them. To compensate, your body produces more and you get greasy hair.

:yes: so true. I wash my hair once a week, always have and always will, if i wash it more then that then it will get greasy quicker next week. Its a vicious cycle! My hair IS relatively think so you probably wont we able to last a week, but try it every other day for now see how it goes.

And for bed head.....:yes: silk pillowcases. Buying a cheap silk scarf from a charity shop isa good idea, and then gt is sewn up roughly so it stay round the case, or if you have any idea about how to sew, then you can buy some material from a material shop (can be quite cheap) and make it yourself!
  • Options
    You don't need to WASH your hair to get rid of bed head...All you have to do is give it a quick rinse under the shower hose. That's what I do when I'm rushing. I wash my hair every day because otherwise my hair styling whateverthefuckitis doesn't come out properly, but when my hair was longer I would wash it one day and leave it the next and my hair was fine for it.

I also don't get why people spend so long in the morning styling their hair? All I do is shampoo it, towel dry it, and put my styling stuff in it (and even then, I only do that when it's really short like now). That takes me maybe 15 minutes. I do that every day, and I leave my house at 7:20am. And my hair looks fine, thanks. I really don't get this whole "OMG IT'S RAINING AND I'VE STRAIGHTENED MY HAIR!!!!" malarkey. The amount of people I know who refuse to go outside when they've straightened their hair is ridiculous. If you don't like how it looks when it's not been straightened, then get a different hairstyle.

End.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    . If you don't like how it looks when it's not been straightened, then get a different hairstyle.

What a silly comment to make.

I, personally, have to straighten my hair otherwise it looks shit. I can't have different styles because nothing stays in. For example, if I curl it, the curls fall out, if I make my hair wavy, the waves fall out, etc. The only style I could do to hide what my hair looks like unstraightened is either chop it all off and have a short hair style (and I would never cut off my hair as I think I'd look like a boy) or tie it back (which I also hate because I think it makes me look like a boy). I have straighteners so why shouldn't I use them? Also, its called having an umbrella in regards to the rain.

I have to wash my hair everyday otherwise, on the second day, my hair is really greasy, manky and it bugs the hell out of me.
  • Options
    What a silly comment to make.

Why?

You shouldn't have to straighten your hair to make it look presentable. I'm not saying there's no point to straighteners, because I know that when my hair is longer it does look nicer when it's been straightened, but I know that I would never be able to go to all that effort every morning, so when I get my hair cut I make sure it looks good when it's not been straightened, as well.

I just don't see why people *need* straighteners to make their hair look good. I don't see why you can't just brush it and maybe put a bit of product in it and be able to leave the house like that, rather than having to straighten their hair every morning.
  • Options
    Because its basically saying that everyone who has hair that can't hold curves or waves and their hair isn't naturally straight to chop it off because basically, thats the only hair cut you could have.

You have short hair, its hardly difficult to make it look good unstraightened with the right products. I'd NEVER EVER want short hair though so I'd prefer to use my straighteners rather than just having it all chopped off just because I don't like it unstraightened. My hair takes 5 minutes to straighten. Its hardly much of an effort :yeees:

Oh, and the difference between looking presentable and "shit" is a big one to me. My hair is presentable unstraightened but I much prefer it straightened because I think it looks a bit shit when its unstraightened.

I used products before I had straighteners and tbh, they don't even compare.
  • Options
    You don't need to WASH your hair to get rid of bed head...All you have to do is give it a quick rinse under the shower hose.

if i do that i find it gets greasy later on in the day

as for the "getting a new style if straighters are needed" comment..... i find the more your hair is "styled" the more the need for the straightners

for example, if ya hair is long and all one length, it may not look as bad if you miss the straightners out, where as if you have a "style" e.g choppy/bob/crop, you tend to need them even more to make your hair look presentable

changing the style of your hair wont change anything IMO
  • Options
    Because its basically saying that everyone who has hair that can't hold curves or waves and their hair isn't naturally straight to chop it off because basically, thats the only hair cut you could have.

You have short hair, its hardly difficult to make it look good unstraightened with the right products. I'd NEVER EVER want short hair though so I'd prefer to use my straighteners rather than just having it all chopped off just because I don't like it unstraightened. My hair takes 5 minutes to straighten. Its hardly much of an effort :yeees:

Oh, and the difference between looking presentable and "shit" is a big one to me. My hair is presentable unstraightened but I much prefer it straightened because I think it looks a bit shit when its unstraightened.

I used products before I had straighteners and tbh, they don't even compare.
    It's not though. I haven't always had short hair, so it's not like I've gone my whole life not knowing what having longer hair is like. When my hair was long/er I had it cut so it would look good unstraightened. I really don't see the logic behind having hair that only looks good straight. Plus I would take a guess that you're lucky your hair only takes 5 minutes to straighten. Lizzy's certainly takes longer to do than that, and when she used to straighten mine for me it would take at least 20 minutes. But then we have quite thick hair. One question though: Would you go to the effort to straighten your hair if you were just going to the shop?

Obviously I'm just badly groomed. *shrug*.
  • Options
    Why?

You shouldn't have to straighten your hair to make it look presentable. I'm not saying there's no point to straighteners, because I know that when my hair is longer it does look nicer when it's been straightened, but I know that I would never be able to go to all that effort every morning, so when I get my hair cut I make sure it looks good when it's not been straightened, as well.

I just don't see why people *need* straighteners to make their hair look good. I don't see why you can't just brush it and maybe put a bit of product in it and be able to leave the house like that, rather than having to straighten their hair every morning.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about :razz: When I get out of the shower, my hair looks like this.

EDIT: For my hair not to need straightened, I need to have it at ridiculously short chav-esque lengths.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    You obviously have no idea what you're talking about :razz: When I get out of the shower, my hair looks like this.

EDIT: For my hair not to need straightened, I need to have it at ridiculously short chav-esque lengths.
    Ahahaha.

You are an exception :p.
  • Options
    It's not though. I haven't always had short hair, so it's not like I've gone my whole life not knowing what having longer hair is like. When my hair was long/er I had it cut so it would look good unstraightened. I really don't see the logic behind having hair that only looks good straight. Plus I would take a guess that you're lucky your hair only takes 5 minutes to straighten. Lizzy's certainly takes longer to do than that, and when she used to straighten mine for me it would take at least 20 minutes. But then we have quite thick hair. One question though: Would you go to the effort to straighten your hair if you were just going to the shop?

Obviously I'm just badly groomed. *shrug*.

No, I wouldn't but only because my shop is a 30 second walk away :razz: Then again, I go out everyday so straighten my hair everyday when I'm getting ready. I don't think about it.

Oh and I have rather thick hair myself but I have the extra wide GHD's. They are amazing :heart: I think the reason why my hair takes so little time to straighten is because its rather straight naturally anyway (but not straight enough, it has stupid kinks it it :grump:)
  • Options
    Don't talk to me about kinks :p. I have a nice little cowslick in the middle of my forehead which means that I can never have a fringe like yours :(.
  • Options
    Don't talk to me about kinks :p. I have a nice little cowslick in the middle of my forehead which means that I can never have a fringe like yours :(.
    Same here hmph!
  • Options
    I just don't see why people *need* straighteners to make their hair look good.

Because if I don't, I look like this:

lion_dlx.JPG
  • Options
    The thing is though, no-one ever used straighteners until about 1999. I remember as that's when the Babyliss Straighteners with a shot of steam came out.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember anyone all through secondary school straightening their hair. Now every single girl seems to own straighteners and be obsessed with straightening their hair every single day.

I'll straighten mine if I'm going out but natural is good too. A slight wave is nice, or scrunched up like when you're on holiday and let it dry naturally.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    The thing is though, no-one ever used straighteners until about 1999. I remember as that's when the Babyliss Straighteners with a shot of steam came out.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember anyone all through secondary school straightening their hair. Now every single girl seems to own straighteners and be obsessed with straightening their hair every single day.

I'll straighten mine if I'm going out but natural is good too. A slight wave is nice, or scrunched up like when you're on holiday and let it dry naturally.
    :yes:.
  • Options
    The thing is though, no-one ever used straighteners until about 1999.

Aye, which is around the time I stopped being repulsive to males. Coincidence? ;)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Aye, which is around the time I stopped being repulsive to males. Coincidence? ;)

Yeah, my love life picked up in 1999, but I think that has more to do with being 17 than babyliss steam straighteners..they were rubbish!

Women still managed to pull pre-straighteners. A good blow dry can make straightening unnecessary for many.
  • Options
    I had a little crappy bob :grump: until 1999 so I didn't need straighteners :p

I only needed them when I grew my hair.
  • Options
    I cut my own fringe this morning...... I wish I wouldn't do spur of the moment stuff like that when I'm not fully awake.... it did not go well.
  • Options
    You don't need to WASH your hair to get rid of bed head...All you have to do is give it a quick rinse under the shower hose. That's what I do when I'm rushing. I wash my hair every day because otherwise my hair styling whateverthefuckitis doesn't come out properly, but when my hair was longer I would wash it one day and leave it the next and my hair was fine for it.

I also don't get why people spend so long in the morning styling their hair? All I do is shampoo it, towel dry it, and put my styling stuff in it (and even then, I only do that when it's really short like now). That takes me maybe 15 minutes. I do that every day, and I leave my house at 7:20am. And my hair looks fine, thanks. I really don't get this whole "OMG IT'S RAINING AND I'VE STRAIGHTENED MY HAIR!!!!" malarkey. The amount of people I know who refuse to go outside when they've straightened their hair is ridiculous. If you don't like how it looks when it's not been straightened, then get a different hairstyle.

End.

...Oooook then.

I'm not one of those girls who won't go out in the rain in case my hair frizzes up. But I have thick, not straight, not curly hair (on account of it being short - when its longer its a bit wavy) which really does look shit without being attacked with straighteners. It just dries in a big poof and sticks out in weird directions. And it doesnt matter what hairstyle I have (apart from long, and I am trying to grow it) they all just make me look like a mad person/hobo unless I straighten them.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »

Haha, the first time I used straighteners, a male friend who was NOT gay actually noticed, AND said it looked nice. That's the awesome power of Babyliss :thumb:
  • Options

most girls i know ironed theirs straight before straightners
  • Options

Peopl used to use an iron!!! :crazyeyes Remeber the film Hairspray??!
  • Options
    pinkvans wrote: »
    it doesnt matter what hairstyle I have (apart from long, and I am trying to grow it) they all just make me look like a mad person/hobo unless I straighten them.

:lol: :yes:

Mine is just the same. I can have the best cut in the world, step out of the salon looking ace, but as soon as I wash it myself and don't use straighteners, I look like either Bob Dylan (short), Alsan (mid-long) or Medusa (long).
  • Options

I (male) used to have short hair until straighteners came out. It was either that or look like that mad geek from the OC. Or, shudder, indie.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    remeber the film Hairspray??!

There's a remake of that film about to come out - I'm not impressed as the original was mint.

I had those babyliss steam straighteners Katchika :)
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    There's a remake of that film about to come out - I'm not impressed as the original was mint.
    My first thoughts are unimpressive!

"hairspray....ma momma told me not to use it....hairspray....but if i dont im gona lose it hairspray...it gives me coooontrooool oh oh oh oooooohh!"
  • Options
    total traversy that they've remade hairspray.

i straighten my hair whenever i go out but not for uni and stuff. cant be bothered.
  • Options
    wear a hairnet to bed :D