Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The hunt for Maddie McCann

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You honestly think that there's only been one case of child abduction, even in a foreign country, since whenever the last one hit the news? Of course the media pick and choose their stories to sell papers; you think Rupert Murdoch's brief to his editors is 'your job is to simply impartially relate the facts?'

What's Rupert Mudorch got to do with it, this story has been all over every news outlet from the BBC, to local papers and the Portugese media.

Would you prefer it if the media ignored this story?
  • Options
    You honestly think that there's only been one case of child abduction, even in a foreign country, since whenever the last one hit the news?

What? British children? I don't think so ....

Of course our papers will concentrate on one of their own being abducted.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I'm all for looking after your children but I find that rather sad. Some of my happiest childhood memories are playing out in the street, going to the park with my friends, climbing up trees, rolling down hills, unsupervised.

When I said that my daughter doesn't play out in the street its for a very good reason - we live, more or less on a main road, we have delivery trucks up and down it (I'm talking ASDA ones you see on the motorway at times!), double decker buses, kids on off-road bikes zooming up and down. Plus I've lost count of the number of times we've had letters come home from school warning about a "stranger trying to lure kids away". I have a back yard where my daughter can play, when it's nice weather we go around to my cousins house where she can play out there with her best friend (it's a dead-end street and reasonably quiet) and the other kids who live in the street. We take her to the park and let her have a run occassionally but our local park is a building site at the minute (I'm not kidding, their building an Olympic swimming pool) or it's full of football matches (all the local youth teams play there). Yes she doesn't get to have alot of freedom, but she's only 6, and she'll have alot more when she is older and more able to take care/defend herself & her friends. :yes:
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Wasn't there a little boy who disappeared in Greece years ago and was never found?

Ben Needham - it was 16 years ago.

_39191039_ben203.jpg
  • Options
    I find this whole issue a little sickening. Yes, it is tragic that the little one went missing. It breaks my heart to think of what she's going through (especially as authorities think she's been abducted for trafficking), and her parents must be tearing themselves apart.

But there are thousands upon thousands of little ones all over the world who are lost to trafficking and other horrific practices every minute, and this one kid gets front page media coverage because she's a pretty white Western child. You can bet your bottom dollar that if she was a fat little boy, nobody would have heard of the incident. And when was the last time you saw a story about child trafficking in Vietnam or child soldiers in Sierra Leone hit the front pages like this story has? Why does this one child get all the attention, and so many are ignored?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to lessen the importance of finding her. I just think the media's power to influence the speed at which issues are dealt with is misdirected and saddening.

I think part of the major shock in this case is this abduction happened in a place where it is deemed safe to go away - it's a fairly quiet place ideal for families on holiday, and the resort in which they stayed attracts lots of British tourists every year. Whilst it doesn't lesson the fact that child trafficking in Vietnam and the like is dreadful - it's far more frequent over there. It is unheard of in this place.

I think it's absolutely correct to be giving it as much coverage as it has been - not only has this terrible occurance happened to one of our own, but it will raise awareness and make British holiday goers think twice about taking small children on holiday and leaving them, even in deemed 'safe' places.
  • Options
    People were pissing me off at college today saying what bad parents and how the mother wasn't even crying :rolleyes: which has nothing to with it and is completely bullshit anyway.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    the mother wasn't even crying :rolleyes:

People deal with stuff in different ways. Some may cry and some might just be angry or something.
  • Options
    She couldn't stop crying on one of the press conferences the other day...

You only need to look at them on TV to realise the horrifying grief they're going through.

Some people have no hearts, really...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    People deal with stuff in different ways. Some may cry and some might just be angry or something.

Yeah I know. Some people in my class just have big mouths and are really really thick. Bad combination. Future teachers too hurray.
  • Options
    I don't think its "really thick" to think that theyre bad parents, whilst i dont think theyre 'bad parents' as such, i'm nothing short of horrified that they left their children locked in an apartment in a foreign country whilst they went out for dinner. I don't doubt for one minute that the parents are devestated and will regret for the rest of their lives their decision to leave them, but people are angry that they could be so irresponsible and frankly i don't blame them.
  • Options
    at first i was a bit like bloody hell, you shouldn't leave 3 children under the age of 3/4 alone but then i realised that they obviously felt that it was safe to do so at the time and made a decision that they may well regret for the rest of their lives. it was coming to the end of their holiday, chances are they'd done it on other occasions throughout their stay. checking them every half hour is good in theory but not in cases like this - she might've been taken the minute after they left on one of the half-hourly checks. my sister has left my nephew in a hotel room asleep with the baby monitor on while she's been downstairs at a function - until i'm a parent myself i can't say whether i would. i really hope she's found safe and well. :(
  • Options
    well i think its harsh to say you don't feel for the parents, i think they must be going through the worst thing a parent can go through. I do see what you're saying lucifer, its not exactly black and white "oh they're terrible parents who didnt care about their children", they obviously do. I think its fairly obvious though that young children shouldnt be left in an apartment or anywhere else alone, apart from the risk of abduction, what if there had been a fire? how would those children get out of the apartment. It's just common sense imo.
  • Options
    I think the police are doing all they can. You do need to remember that the police do probably have other crimes to deal with as well, so not all their attention 24/7 can be focused on Maddie.
  • Options
    Considering they were in a resort I think it led to the assumption that it is safe, and when you consider how many thousands of families holiday in resorts each year, and how few abduction cases there are, they are safe places to be. Maybe the parents should have brought her with them, and let her fall asleep in a pushchair like my mum and dad used to, maybe they should have hired a baby sitter, but they didn't.

I'm more annoyed by the police response, if a call about a missing 3 year old came to us, with no mention whatsoever of foul-play it would be all hands to the cars and we'd be there inside 10 minutes searching with more units filtering in as time went on. If foul play were suspected, then every man and his dog, and a helicopter would be overhead inside of 20 minutes, I think the Portugese police need to learn from this and ensure if it ever happens again they're a bit more motivated.
  • Options
    Missing toddler in Algarve

What does everyone think about this situation?
    Full BBC story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6627605.stm

I for one simply can't imagine what the parents are going through, and I hope sincerely that their little girl is returned to them safely. However, in the back of my mind I find myself wondering why on earth three children under five were left completely unsupervised, even if the parents were only at a restaurant 50m away and checking on them every half hour. There are quite often babysitting services available at resorts like these and it makes me wonder why the parents didn't take advantage of such services (even if the resort itself doesn't provide a service, resorts like these can quite often recommend services). I appreciate that babysitting services can be expensive - but would you put a price on the safety of a child?
  • Options
    There's a thread about this in P&D, are you actually checking the forums before you post things?
  • Options
    No, hence why this, Paris Hilton, death penalty etc. are being brought up again.
  • Options
    Shall we just shout "DO A SEARCH" a lot and hope s/he gets the message? :D

Seriously though AdventureForever, please check that there hasn't been a recent thread in another/the same forum before you post a topic. It gets annoying and makes discussions disjointed.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I'll merge this with the other thread.
  • Options
    17 posts and 15 threads...I'm already getting sus about this character.
  • Options
    Just about to say the same thing Yerascrote. Actually I was about to PM Helen but when I clicked on her username it took me to Shyboy's profile, which was a bit of a shock :crazyeyes
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Stargalaxy Mk2.

*Ducks*
  • Options
    I have no idea what has happened to Madeleine McCann. I don't condemn the parents for their actions - they may well be kicking themselves already. Nor do I condemn the Portugese police. I cannot recall any occasions when the British police handled such a situation any better. It's a desperately sad situation, and I hope she is found alive and well.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I have no idea what has happened to Madeleine McCann. I don't condemn the parents for their actions - they may well be kicking themselves already. Nor do I condemn the Portugese police. I cannot recall any occasions when the British police handled such a situation any better. It's a desperately sad situation, and I hope she is found alive and well.

Only advantage British Police have, in particular in London is a million cameras all over the place to trace people's steps. They say go into London for a day and you're captured on 300+ CCTV Cameras.

Anyone remember this missing kid?

http://www.answers.com/topic/james-bulger

CCTV Cameras help the police stop looking for some pedophile and start looking for two young killer boys
  • Options
    I have a question actually. While everyone is being good and helping out, how do you think the media would react if a single mum from a council flat went over the road to get some milk and came back to find her 3/4 year old kid missing?

The S*n headline: "Neglectful mother has tot snatched" - she shouldn't be allowed kids"?
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    I have a question actually. While everyone is being good and helping out, how do you think the media would react if a single mum from a council flat went over the road to get some milk and came back to find her 3/4 year old kid missing?

The S*n headline: "Neglectful mother has tot snatched" - she shouldn't be allowed kids"?
    cor-fucking-rect!

and she'd probably have had the other 2 kids taken off her, and that's just for starters
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »

Yep. That would exactly be what happened, sadly.

That's our media for you.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I don't think they can do anymore than they are already doing.

TBH, I don't have any sympathy for the parents - they left their children alone whilst they were out and the oldest (Maddie) is only something like 3/4?
    I agree. I know its happened now but I can't help thinking if they never have left her alone in some hotel this never would have happened.
  • Options
    It is a truly awful event, but would the same media outcry happen for a missing Asian child, of which there are 1000's. I remember reading about hundreds of young infant girls that go 'missing' in India, something to do with the casting system. Mass graves outside hospitals, that kinda thing. I'm not taking away from this operation but the world is a very unbalanced place.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    It is a truly awful event, but would the same media outcry happen for a missing Asian child, of which there are 1000's.

:yes:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Its awful, but the press and media don't always go all out like the have done for Maddie McCann. Wonder if they would have done the same if she wasn't a middle class white girl.

Hope shes found soon though :thumb: