Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should I Be Jealous Or Not?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
You all might have noticed my absence from posting threads in relationship section, well, i havn't had a reason to post recently, but i do now.

This is the history of the situation, my girlfriend and i have been off and on for a little while now. Mostly the off parts happen after an argument but the next day or a few days later we are on again and make up.
6 months ago or so back in July, before we got together as a couple and were just friends she asked out this guy who is a close male friend of hers. He said no, and told her he just wanted to be her friends and thats all they have been since. But, last week suddenly he announces he fancies her and wants to get together with her as a couple... even though he knows she has a boyfriend (me). I have never met him but he has always seemed an alright bloke as we have mutual friends.

Anyway, she told me i had nothing to worry about and that was that, but thn a day or so later she told me that now she knew he liked her, he was looking more attractive then before. She also said it was so unfair that he would decide he liked her now and not 6 months ago when she really fancied him a lot. I dont mind her fancying other guys, i fancy other girls but still, these comments bothered me.

So she sat him down and told him she had me and wanted to be with me and if he made her choose between us, he would lose and she didnt want their friendship to end. He agreed they should just stay really good, close friends.

But, as they are close friends they are spending a lot of time together including this Saturday night (Tomorrow). Originally her parents and brother were going out so he was going to go over to her house and they were going have dinner and watch dvds then he was going to get a lift him. Now, her parents and brother are staying in until late so she and he will be in her bedroom watching dvds... with only her very small bed to sit/lay on. And her at some point they will be completely home alone in her bedroom when her parents and brother go out.

So... I feel pretty jealous and bothered by the whole thing! And, although she has been totally honest about everything and told him she is with me and that is that and nothing will happen, i just am worried he will use it as an opportunity to make a move on her. Plus the whole thing bothers me.

And i can not talk to her about it because if i do talk to her about being bothered she will probably accuse me of not trusting her to behave faithfully and cause an argument with her, which i don't want to have.

So, yeah, im generally jealous and miffed!

Comments from anyone would be nice, please. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Bullseye wrote: »
    You all might have noticed my absence from posting threads in relationship section, well, i havn't had a reason to post recently, but i do now.

This is the history of the situation, my girlfriend and i have been off and on for a little while now. Mostly the off parts happen after an argument but the next day or a few days later we are on again and make up.
    6 months ago or so back in July, before we got together as a couple and were just friends she asked out this guy who is a close male friend of hers. He said no, and told her he just wanted to be her friends and thats all they have been since. But, last week suddenly he announces he fancies her and wants to get together with her as a couple... even though he knows she has a boyfriend (me). I have never met him but he has always seemed an alright bloke as we have mutual friends.

Anyway, she told me i had nothing to worry about and that was that, but thn a day or so later she told me that now she knew he liked her, he was looking more attractive then before. She also said it was so unfair that he would decide he liked her now and not 6 months ago when she really fancied him a lot. I dont mind her fancying other guys, i fancy other girls but still, these comments bothered me.

So she sat him down and told him she had me and wanted to be with me and if he made her choose between us, he would lose and she didnt want their friendship to end. He agreed they should just stay really good, close friends.

But, as they are close friends they are spending a lot of time together including this Saturday night (Tomorrow). Originally her parents and brother were going out so he was going to go over to her house and they were going have dinner and watch dvds then he was going to get a lift him. Now, her parents and brother are staying in until late so she and he will be in her bedroom watching dvds... with only her very small bed to sit/lay on. And her at some point they will be completely home alone in her bedroom when her parents and brother go out.

So... I feel pretty jealous and bothered by the whole thing! And, although she has been totally honest about everything and told him she is with me and that is that and nothing will happen, i just am worried he will use it as an opportunity to make a move on her. Plus the whole thing bothers me.

And i can not talk to her about it because if i do talk to her about being bothered she will probably accuse me of not trusting her to behave faithfully and cause an argument with her, which i don't want to have.

So, yeah, im generally jealous and miffed!

Comments from anyone would be nice, please. Thank you!

Its normal to feel jealous especially if you know what has been said between the both of them.
    The fact that you know she asked him and he originally said no and then to change his attitude and start spending a lot of time with her while dressing himself up is confusing.

I think the thing that makes you miffed is his intentions. As people, we are always going to get jealous and be protective if we know that other guys/girls fancy our partners and starts spending loads of time with them. Its natural.

All you can do is trust her and go with the flow. If you find out that something did happen, then you know the deal and can do something about it. Apart from that, i advise you to just trust her and let her deal with him.

If you want to get the message across then maybe stand outside the window and put on Good Charlotte's "Get your hands off my girl" at full blast on a stereo. God i love that song! :mad: :p
  • Options
    I know it's hard to do this without pissing her off, but if I was you, I wouldn't be tooo trusting or give them tooo much space if you can help it -sorry to add to your unease, but he's just told her that he wants them to be a couple, she's mentioned to you that she's annoyed he's waited this long (although it's good that she's talking to you about it & not keeping it to herself), and now, knowing the way he feels/his intentions, she's perfectly happy to spend more time with him, and more to the point, perfectly comfortable spending alone time with him in her room??? :shocking:

If she really wanted to make it clear she was with you and there was no space for him, I think she would have done a more thorough job of pushing him away to be honest...hopefully she's just confused, and knows she really does want to be with you, but is flattered by his attention - but if I were you, I wouldn't give her too much space to work out how she feels about him.
  • Options
    Jealousy is a poinsenous thing. You can do one of two things- trust her and deal with the consequences if your trust was misplaced, or don't trust her and always be worried that she might be up to something. To be honest, I think people who are trusted in relationships are less likely to cheat as they know how much it would hurt the other persons feelings- and that may remind them how much their partner cares for them and disuade them from straying in the first place.

Sadly there's no quick fix, and nothing anyone here can say to make you worry less. It's something we all have to deal with sooner or later. If it's any consolation at all, my best friend and I had a drunken one night stand before I got together with the boy, and even knowing this my bloke trusts me when I'm with my best mate (which is a lot). Just because we have a bit of a history doesnt mean I'd want to go there again. So if your girl says she's happy with you, and that the other guy would lose if she chose between the two of you.... well, thats enough isn't it? I'd be happy with that. Good luck anywayxXx
  • Options
    Thanks all of you! It has all being good advice and i appreciate it muchly. Well, i will Saturday night/Sunday if my trust was misplaced or not.
  • Options
    Aye - I am not a jealous nor mis-trustful person, but this situation does not ring true with me at all.

As much as things don't bother me, I think this one would if I were in your position.

Hopefully, any negative thoughts will be unfounded.
  • Options
    I'd be jealous if there was any other man in Mrs. Peters' bedroom, let alone when both parties have admitted to fancying each other, in my humble opinion you should be concerned...a least a bit. It's good she's talking to you about it, but it does seem a bit untoward what the intentions here are.
  • Options
    Sounds a bit dodgy doesnt it. I wouldnt place so much trust in either of them tbh.
    I know what i would have done with my ex if that situation werew to arise and thats to either call or go round there at the time they would be alone and if anything was going on i'd have beat the living daylights out of the bloke, but then i'm a pretty jealous person, we didnt really have much trust in that relationship and that is not really the best solution.
    I would definately investigate though, he likes her, she likes him and they're spending an evening alone together in her bedroom....
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I wouldnt be happy with that in the slightest, and to be honest, if my bf knew I liked someone and vice versa, he wouldnt be happy with that situation. I wouldnt want to make him unhappy or worry so wouldnt agree to it.
    I think maybe you should talk her, before it gets to tomorrow evening, and air your views.
    If she cant be reasonable perhaps its going down the wrong path.
  • Options
    If she really wanted to make it clear she was with you and there was no space for him, I think she would have done a more thorough job of pushing him away to be honest...

:yes:

sorry, that's not the comforting thing to say, but personally i'd be absolutely freaking out if i were you.
  • Options
    Yeah... I am! I am waiting for her to end work so i can call her right now actually...
  • Options
    This is shyboys thread all over again!
  • Options
    No way i'd have that !
    Defo suss !
  • Options
    Well i had a chat with her about the night.

Basically they spent the night in the living room watching a dvd i bought her, talking and hanging out and generally being stupid. Her parents even came home quite early and joined them, then he went home.
    I think i can trust thats all that happened.

Still bothers me she has such a close friendship with a guy, especially one who likes her a lot, but they were hanging out like this before he ever told her he liked her, so, i guess they are going to try to keep on being friends.
  • Options
    I lost her.

Not to him though, just to something thats happening in her life she wont trust me enough to talk to me about. it's over :(
  • Options
    I lost her.

Not to him though, just to something thats happening in her life she wont trust me enough to talk to me about. it's over :(

Without being too blunt. Bullshit. What on earth could mysteriously pop up that she can't talk to you about because she 'doesn't trust you'?! Sounds more like she doesn't have the guts to tell you something. Grrrr.

Commiserations though mate :( Really not a nice thing to go through :(
  • Options
    bad luck. suspicion won't help you honey, so i'm not going to say anything about her and him and you.

just sorry to hear it :(
  • Options
    Really sorry to hear matey.
  • Options
    Really sorry to hear about that.

Was gonna say that yea, the same thing happened to me, and yea they were doing stuff, and denying it to my face. Maybe a blessing in a way, I got dragged through it for 5 months.

When I think back, the clue was, why did she suddenly want to spend time with him on his own when she found out how he felt. Sorry, not meaning to make you feel worse, sore point for me.

Hope things pick up soon, spend time with your mates cos they'll get you through times like this.
  • Options
    Basically she said stuff was bothering her. when i asked what this stuff was she just said, she didnt want to talk about it, then when i pressed it and asked to help she was like, leave me alone and stop been so overbearing!

Then she wouldnt take my calls, ignored my texts and blocked me on msn. she did email me to say nothing is wrong with her, its just stuff she isnt going to talk about to me!

She prob has decided to go with him, thats what it seems like now after i pressed at her all night, but that didnt work.
  • Options
    No, deleted my comment. I hope you get the truth sometime soon, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • Options
    SOrry to hear that, Bullseye :(
  • Options
    Well, i got my answer today. after 2 days of her not talking to me because she "didnt want to have to deal with me" (like i was being difficult), she told me she snogged the other bloke on Saturday night and just hasnt been telling me and is now basically saying she wants to be with him and doesnt want to see me again.

Guess what people say doesnt mean anything and is always lies. You just cant trust anyone you care about! :(
  • Options
    Well, i got my answer today. after 2 days of her not talking to me because she "didnt want to have to deal with me" (like i was being difficult), she told me she snogged the other bloke on Saturday night and just hasnt been telling me and is now basically saying she wants to be with him and doesnt want to see me again.

Guess what people say doesnt mean anything and is always lies. You just cant trust anyone you care about! :(

Not true - some people you *can* trust.

Again, sorry to hear that it's happened, but it was obvious :( At least she's finally come clean now.
  • Options
    I suppose the only good thing to come out of this is that she didn't carry on with the charade for months.
  • Options
    Awww...I'm sorry Bullseye...like everyone else has said, at least it didn't drag on for months and months...you would have felt a lot worse if it had have been going for ages and she'd been lying to you for all that time!!

She didn't exactly handle it well, but at least now you can move on relatively quickly and cleanly....
  • Options
    It's just all crap... seems like every girl fucks me over and betrays me somehow.
  • Options
    It's just all crap... seems like every girl fucks me over and betrays me somehow.

Aww.....I'm sorry....:( if it's any consolation, I feel the same about blokes....and I know we're not the only people who feel like that, just from reading these boards...so it sort of gives you hope that there ARE still people out there willing to treat people decently, and looking for a proper relationship based on respect, decency, etc......:yes:
  • Options
    I hope so, but right now it doesnt seem that way! :(
  • Options
    Aw man, I feel for you Bullseye.

I'm not surprised you feel totally disillusioned right now, no one would expect you to feel any differently. But facing facts you didn't do anything wrong, you couldn't have treated her any better or given her any more space to selfishly decide what she wanted to do about the relationship (last I checked relationships were supposed to be about the wishes of both partners). It's not fair at all that she's walked away from this with options and with her feelings intact, but that's the way it goes I guess. At least you know now, rather than the relationship continuing and allowing her to make you look like a mug. Someone else will come along and you'll wonder why you put up with a woman who didn't even respect your feelings enough to change her plans when they involved having a self-confessed admirer of hers in her room. Christ on crutches, I can't imagine that ever being acceptable to a boyfriend of mine.

Anyway there's no point blathering about it now, onward and upward and all that. The best way I can put it is in the words of that guru Dolly Parton - "if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ;)

Look after yourself mate, time for a bit of selfish and cathartic behaviour I think. Get out there and have a laugh :thumb:
  • Options

condolences, bro.

Just a good thing it was a quick stab and not some eternal torment (if you try to look at the bright side). It has nothing to do with you, mate, she didn't snog him, because of YOUR suspicion, and actually it was WELL placed (the suspicion).

Good riddance. hope you get over it soon.