Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advice For Those Going Off To University For The First Time

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    RLT2, that is gross, couldn't you have washed or something?
  • Options
    yeah u could have jumped in the shower, also u d think someone would pack a least one bog roll. lol

with the rooms do u have any say on who u share with in ur 1st yr?

i saw ppl saying u can chose in 2nd and 3rd years, if so how does this process work? and can guys share with girl?
  • Options
    re

Also when your choosing who you are going to be living with in the 2nd/3rd yr, choose extremely carefully. I chose to live with some friends who I'd made in the first yr who I used to go out with more or less all the time. Living with them however was a big mistake. I now believe you never know someone properly until you've either lived with them or gone on holiday with them. So honestly If you do happen to get on with the people you live with in halls, my advice is to stick with them. Also make sure you don't get a complete arsehole of a landlord for 2nd yr. Easier said than done but make sure you look at as many houses as possible.

Hope thats helped:)
  • Options
    If you have massive DVD/CD collections only bring a selection to uni as careless buggers will want to borrow titles on a regular basis and will leave them lying about out of their protective casing.

If you can, bring a mini fridge otherwise flatmates will eventually steal your goodies, or their friends will.

If your flatmates are a pain in the arse give it a restricted amount of time then do something about it, doing not much like I did only resulted in constant pain for me. Don't make the same mistake. In turn, be considerate to your flatmates in terms of music volume etc.

Keep takeaways to a minimum, not only are they extremely bad for you but the cost isn't worth it. Make sure your shopping list will do you a while rather than splashing out on luxuries that will only last a day or two.

Ensure you have internet access.

Don't ever stay with a student accomodation company called Dom@in. They'll screw you for your deposits and abuse any form of student dependency to make a quick buck. I remember when I lost my plastic fobb on freshers week and got charged £40 for the honour. Also, according to their tenancy agreement, if you're landed with a pyschopathic flatmate they can't get rid of him/her unless they get a court order which can take four to five months. So the only way you can really get out is if you volunteer to move which can be quite a risk. If you can, stay on official student property which has laws in the contract which state that disruptive flatmates can be removed.
  • Options
    billybob87 wrote:
    tescos do bacon, curry and chicken flavour noodles.....8p a packet YES 8P!

Dude, there's a reason they're 8p a packet. They have the nutritional value of a brick.
  • Options
    Dude, there's a reason they're 8p a packet. They have the nutritional value of a brick.

:lol:

Im doing my food shop 2moz .. so shall avoid that shite :thumb:
  • Options
    I think they're really nice...
  • Options
    I only have one piece of advice. Don't despair if things are difficult for you in the beginning. Make sure all issues with money and accommodation are sorted out well in advance so that you can enjoy yourself during Freshers Week, thus getting a good start to your time at uni.

This is coming from a person who has just bottled it, who has just let his fear, among other things, force him out of university. To anyone reading this, please, don't let fear do the same to you.
  • Options
    Golden Rule...

One very simple golden rule - it may sound obvious but obey this one rule and you will get at least a 2:2 no matter what you are studying ...(drum role) 'Attend every lecture and attend and prepare for every tutorial'.

Ok, second golden rule, at undergrad level you are not required to think, only regurgitate - so whatever your lecturer/tutor tells you, take note as this is the answer they are looking for in exams - I mean it, do not think!

The rule above doesnt apply to postgrad - you are expected to think here... at least for the most part - even though the likelyhood is you are being taught by Profs who wrote the textbook you are using, so it is unlikely that you will see something they havent - but you should add something fresh if you want the high marks, so here tutorial debate should always be recorded.

If you then go on to study law at bvc or lpc level golden rule number one is absolutely crutial - you will pass if you apply yourself... and dont fret when the Dean tells you at the introductory lecture that 'from this point forward consider yourself a Barrister' - above all read, then read some again. Good luck - I followed this route and I am now Legal Counsel for a well renowned Investment Bank and I love my job - I wish the same for you. http://vbulletin.thesite.org/images/smilies/thumb.gif
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Condoms, drink and mates. All you need, maybe some water and food here or there but sure who gives a fuck lol.
  • Options
    don't listen to the above. :p

though well done for saying condoms. :lol:
  • Options
    Ha. You don't need to take condoms, you can get a load from the freshers fayre! :D

I have some glow-in-the-dark ones (although I'll never ever use them) :lol:
  • Options
    On my last count and before I started giving them away I'd accumalated 47 free condoms from uni stuff (and that was without trying in the slightest).
  • Options
    They always seem to share a room in American movies - but I've never heard of it being done in the UK.

I have heard of that bfor, but wudnt want to do it, id need my own personal space. I have even started thinking about it!! im just overly excited!! will start sorting out my loan soon but cant wait!!! woooooooooooooooo and apparently cardiff has a good night life!! my kind of city!
  • Options
    Warwick has shared rooms, the guy showing my brother round mentioned them, as do quite a few other places. I chose to have one this year (for the time I was there), but I also chose to have it all to myself :D. One of my mates got one at Leeds last year, but her room mate never showed up so she got double space.
  • Options
    My friend shared her room in halls in the first year. She is at Chester.
  • Options
    The way I understand it -

- If you apply for halls / colleges (if you go to Oxbridge or Durham), then you're not guaranteed an individual room but you stand a good chance.
    - No single uni is all-shared

Bristol has some two-in-a-room accomodation but I don't know where that is. I wouldn't mind it that much, but having been to boarding school, I feel I've paid my dues as far as shared-room accomodation goes and thus I deserve a little better :D
  • Options
    I looove this thread. Please keep the tips coming!
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    I looove this thread. Please keep the tips coming!

:yes: same! It goes so far back aswell!

Just filling in my accomodation form tonight actually. Torn between the 'single study' or 'private shared bathroom'. Sharing a bathroom with 5 or so other people isn't that bad is it? Because £500 more to share a bathroom with just one other person seems like a lot. This is in halls by the way, looks the more fun option.
  • Options
    Is that Nottingham?

Sharing Bathrooms with 5 others is fine, we shared with far more than that in our first year accomodation. You quickly find a time to use it that suits.
  • Options
    To anyone applying for accommodation, I only have one tip. Do your research when applying. Try to visit the place to get a viewing if at all possible. The only reason I say this is, last year, on my (thankfully) failed stint at UWE, I ended up in a place which was, to say the least, questionable. I would like to name the company responsible for the accommodation, but I'd better not.
  • Options
    Simply be urself. Don`t forget that u are not alone- there a lot of ppl aroun u and they maybe need u , ur love , ur attention...
  • Options

Bristol has some two-in-a-room accomodation but I don't know where that is. I wouldn't mind it that much, but having been to boarding school, I feel I've paid my dues as far as shared-room accomodation goes and thus I deserve a little better :D

Northwell House (up the Gloucester Road) has some shared rooms - a couple of my boyfriend's flatmates there had to share...drove each other crazy sometimes apparently, but still moved into at least one student house together later and a couple of years back went travelling together, so must have been quite a forgiving pair.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    To anyone applying for accommodation, I only have one tip. Do your research when applying. Try to visit the place to get a viewing if at all possible. The only reason I say this is, last year, on my (thankfully) failed stint at UWE, I ended up in a place which was, to say the least, questionable. I would like to name the company responsible for the accommodation, but I'd better not.
    Was it Dom@in? People tell you they offer the best accommodation but they're a constant rip-off by fining you for the tiniest thing.
  • Options
    Neil wrote: »
    Was it Dom@in? People tell you they offer the best accommodation but they're a constant rip-off by fining you for the tiniest thing.
    It was a private company, but no, it wasn't Dom@in.
  • Options
    Where to get the best advice

The best site I've found for advice on going to uni is http://www.push.co.uk. They have stuff on not only things like sharing a room and other housing questions, but also properly unbiased profiles of every uni in the country

Check it out.
  • Options
    I'd let to get this going again!
  • Options
    i can't believe it's finally our turn!
  • Options
    I know! I wasn't going this year until a few weeks ago either.
  • Options
    with 90 posts I'm sure someone will have already said this but join as many clubs as you and and get involved. I know everyone says this but it's so true. I didn't join until I was in second year, I'm now in third year (Scottish student so I still have one more year!!) and running one and on the board of a couple. it's so much fun, good for finding flats and you meet loads of randoms.
    Make sure you always have toilet roll. In our halls it was provided but people used to have fights with it so it's always handy to have some in your room.
    Also make sure you insure your laptop, phone, ipod etc your halls will probably have basic insurance but it wont cover them.
    Hope this helps!