Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Advice For Those Going Off To University For The First Time

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you read through it? Swear there's a list further back.

If not I shall get thinking.
  • Options
    Didn't notice this thread was here :)

Just having a read over it for next year, interesting some of the stuff people bring up!
  • Options
    Also when your choosing who you are going to be living with in the 2nd/3rd yr, choose extremely carefully. I chose to live with some friends who I'd made in the first yr who I used to go out with more or less all the time. Living with them however was a big mistake. I now believe you never know someone properly until you've either lived with them or gone on holiday with them. So honestly If you do happen to get on with the people you live with in halls, my advice is to stick with them. Also make sure you don't get a complete arsehole of a landlord for 2nd yr. Easier said than done but make sure you look at as many houses as possible
  • Options
    Get involved in the students' union! I'm sure I've said it before, but people take the SU for granted, getting involved in union democracy as a society president (in my first year) then as a council member and finally a full-time officer was the best thing I could possibly have done with my uni experience.
  • Options
    The best advice I was given when I first moved to London to go to uni, was to take alcohol with me on the first day. Then when I started meeting people on my corridor in halls, I'd invite them in for a drink and pretty quickly there was a group of us chatting and breaking the ice. Also, try and give everyone a chance and don't be bitchy. You don't want to be the person who gets a name for slating everyone.
  • Options
    I doubt any halls would accept pets. but I will be moving from Ireland in Sep if i get accepted is there many houses that are allowed pets to move in?
  • Options
    Depends what kind of pet.

But it is possible you will just have to pay more and perhaps not live in student digs but rent a proper house out.
  • Options
    Yes have fun in the first year and your results probably won't matter as long as you pass everything but, if you want to do well in your second and third years you should also pay attention. They will basically tell you how they want you to do work in the first year.

Lecturers will also give you lots of time for feedback in the first year to tell you how to improve your work (ask for this, don't wait for them to give it to you) whereas, if you wait until the second year to try to improve your grades, they may be a little short with you for not having listened in the first place.
  • Options
    Its a small dog. god i hope some house will accept us. I wouldnt be able to leave him behind. :blush:
  • Options
    Anyone got anything else to add to this?

I'm leavng in 2 weeks :)
  • Options
    I think join societies, but do recognise that the first few weeks it is worth looking at lots, but you wont be able to do them all. A lot but not all.

Make friends and have a good time, but remember to work hard and play hard. Not just play hard for 3 years.
  • Options
    Anyone got anything else to add to this?

I'm leavng in 2 weeks :)

Leaving in 2 weeks :o I don't move in till the 19th! Im so bored waiting!
  • Options
    im leaving in 3 :D im so excited! what unis are you both at?
  • Options

:d

I'm going to Plymouth.... you?
  • Options

Staffordshire :) You?
  • Options
    21 days till i move 21!! It better go quick
  • Options
    21 days till i move 21!! It better go quick

Good luck bud.
  • Options
    Try to keep up a good routine and diet with a bit of exercise in there too. It's important for your mental health and wellbeing.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Try to keep up a good routine and diet with a bit of exercise in there too. It's important for your mental health and wellbeing.

:yes: When I was at uni, we had to do 32-40 hours of study per week. This will increase if you have deadlines to meet.
  • Options
    dont let anyone fuck you around money-wise. a lot will try that, even friends. bitter? yes. but it's true.

and don't fall into the pattern of being the only one to clean :thumb:
  • Options
    If I had 21 days to wait with nothing to do I would probably email my tutors and see if I could get the reading lists, and get reading them, but then I am pretty square.
  • Options
    I've started shopping for uni... and there is so much to do! :|
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    If I had 21 days to wait with nothing to do I would probably email my tutors and see if I could get the reading lists, and get reading them, but then I am pretty square.

We would of had them but there has been a mix up and none of our emails work so we can't get the lists

So I am just re-reading over my chemistry and biology notes.

I have bought everything, i am ready to go now! :hyper:
  • Options

Ha. I've bought one textbook, but I don't plan on buying the other 50+ and my local libraries don't seem to have any at all. :grump:

But the textbook I bought is wicked. Even if it did cost like £40.
  • Options
    Don't spend too much money on books. Get to know your uni library, make friends with the second years and buy their books off them, and remember - google books is your friend.
  • Options
    Don't spend too much money on books. Get to know your uni library, make friends with the second years and buy their books off them, and remember - google books is your friend.

oh i love google books, you can usually get a preview of the first 10 pages or so too. also jstor. use jstor for essays and stuff. it's free.
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    I've started shopping for uni... and there is so much to do! :|

There is / was a list on the student room - you don't need everything on that list.

You will (much to my fathers' disgust!) come home with more than you went up with.

Some unis have a second hand bookshop.