Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Advice For Those Going Off To University For The First Time

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Keep them coming - I'm taking notes!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_kazzy
    Keep them coming - I'm taking notes!

Indeed! It is only 5 months away now!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Indeed! It is only 5 months away now!

5 months tomorrow shall be my first day at uni. Wow, that's... soon. Can't wait to get out of school though! It seems that I shall be staying at home for uni, either that or moving into a flat with my boyfriend. We shall see nearer the time I suppose.
  • Options
    Um, definitely move out and stay in a flat or halls, best experience of living independently.

Start doing housework and stuff if you don't already, cause it helps to keep your place tidy.

Get some folders, a stapler and a punch, you'll need them for essays, handouts and to keep all your work in order.

Try and either type up or write up your lecture notes, helps come revision/exam time.

If you don't have a printer at the flat/hall, keep your printer account at uni topped up. Nothing worse than trying to print out an essay at last minute and having to run to library to credit your a/c.

Don't leave work till the last minute, or hand it in late. It'll be hard, but try and stay disciplined and do the work before you go out partying.

I'm sure I'll think of some more, but uni is a great experience, despite the debt... :(
  • Options
    Dont give in to peer pressure, if theres somthing you really dont wanna do (like many shots when your not a big drinker in the first place or dope for example) then dont do it. Not saying you deff will be offerd the latter, guess its just down to who lives in your house/halls. If you do consider doing any drugs then readup on whatever it is before hand - http://www.erowid.org/.
    (Dont get scared by this, its unlikly you will meet that many people that are into this kind of thing - the vast majority are just drinkers).

When you all go out the first time in freshers week make sure you take your mobile along, means you get everybodys names down and its somthing to break the ice with if you havent allready.

Go easy on the cash, at first when you see your bank account (after the student loan) you will think your loaded but it goes fast in food and going out so dont go blowing it on tvs/hi fi's or whatever.

If your lacking in confidence atm, living away from home for a year will do wounders for your confidence. Ive seen quite a few people drop out during the first few weeks, it can be nerve racking for many at first but persevere and trust me you will be glad you stayed.
  • Options
    It's all great advice you are all giving :)
    I'm starting at uni in september and I've decided to stay at home as the campus is only a 20 minute bus ride away.In some ways i wish i was going away as it sounds like you meet more people etc.
    I'm getting so nervous about starting now-only a couple of months to go!
  • Options
    If you can live in halls in your first year - do it. I was too late to live in halls so am living in a house. Yes, it's cheaper but I feel very much like I'm missing out on the fun and meeting new people.

Money wise...god if I could go back and start again, I would. Most people (so I'm told) are stupid with their first loan installment but please, go careful. I blew the best part of £2,500 and am now paying for it and very much struggling with money. I've never been very good with money, it burns a hole in my pocket. I went from September till the end of November without checking my bank balance; stupid mistake. I thought it'd last forever, but it never does. And my god the shock when I tried to take some money out to find it had gone!

Another thing..don't go into it thinking ooh it's gonna be great. I feel I've been let down a bit - it's not the laugh people said it was.
  • Options
    For the love of god dont do what i did and be all shy in freshers week. You'll regret it like I am now. :(
  • Options
    Another thing..don't go into it thinking ooh it's gonna be great. I feel I've been let down a bit - it's not the laugh people said it was.

I concur, and also if you're doing a particularly 'academic' subject like Law or Medicine and others, the myth that you can get away with doing sod all and still skate your first year are not true. Uni exams are difficult and if you don't do work you will get found out! My uni life isn't much of a laugh either, I'm not a great 'go out' type person so my main outlets are just going to the pub to watch the footy, maybe go to the theatre or a gig every now and again when there's something worth seeing, but you're right, tis far from a bundle of laughs.

Some people do go crazy but I have found in general that life is also not as debauched as you are led to believe. People do go out and get hammered etc but many people aren't like that, sex isn't dangled in front of you on a stick. Personally I don't lead a debauched kind of life anyway, but students often talk of the sex, drugs and rock n roll lifestyle, and to be honest for most it is a myth.

Edited- I do not in any way condone having sex on a stick. It will probably hurt and cause you all manner of internal problems.
  • Options
    hoard all the free vouchers you can
  • Options
    save up as much money as you can before hand, iv'e learned this the very hard way :<
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    hoard all the free vouchers you can
    :yes: cut them out of magazines etc, email different companies telling them how much you love their product etc, and they will often send you vouchers as a thankyou. Asda and Tescos both accept vouchers even when you havent bought the exact product, as long as they stock it.
    I often get £2 or £3 off my shopping this way, if not more. which does help.
    Sometimes you get magazines with vouchers in them worth more than the mag cost to buy. The best ones for this are the weekly womens mags like Bella and chat, which are a bit shit, but worth browsing though in the shop to see if there are vouchers in before buying.
  • Options
    The dented can section in the supermarket is a god send. you can stock up on things that you would buy a lotbecause you tend to find that whole trays of things get dented
  • Options
    If you can afford it, get an en-suite bathroom in halls. That way you dont have to tolerate other peoples bad hygiene in the toilet/shower.
  • Options
    i agree, i walked into my bathroom the other night (granted im not in halls but i still share with people i dont know very well) to find one of my male housemates having a piss with the door open in a vrey drunken state completley missing the toilet and pissing on the floor infront of it. :yuck:

i was like ewwww what are u doing i have to stand on that floor in bare feet wen iv had a shower. infact that reminds me dig out flip flops.
  • Options
    I know some people who refuse to flush the toilet because apparently it's a waste of water. Eco-warriorness gone a bit too far methinks. We also have a Malaysian lad who hasn't heard of bathmats and proceeds to leave the shower room floor under a couple of inches of water every time he uses it! I'm not sure if he uses the shower curtain!! All fun and games......... I think :yeees:
  • Options
    im a new freshman this semester, and i somehow ended up in a quad with only three of us, in the only building with air conditioning on our campus, and we have our own bathroom. i feel so bad for all the people who dont have their own bathroom- i only have to share a bathroom with two girls that i know, and i dont have to worry about what is on the floor from a drunken night, and i never have to worry about seeing a tiolet that hasnt been flushed!!!!!
  • Options
    i've had 2 years out and got into quite a bit of debt! I'm moving out and going to uni in september! are you allowed to go to uni in debt?

btw my parents don't know!
  • Options
    im scared n lukin 4wd 2 goin uni! iv had some time out though!
    n i wont kno ne1 :confused: thats drivin me mad actually! iv always lived near all ma m8s n this year ill b leavin
  • Options
    Uni is always scarey at first, but once you get into things its easy to meet new people and start an entirely new life!
  • Options
    Im excited bout goin, im bout an hr from home tho so that won't b too bad and most of us on my college course seem 2 b goin 2 the same place lol, so i wont b alone. theres only two of us livin there but even then at least theres someone i know
  • Options
    Hey what can i expect from the Halls of Residence when i start looking round universities?
  • Options
    Just looked through this thread and it's been very helpful. Thanks for the advice. :D
  • Options
    FABulous wrote:
    Hey what can i expect from the Halls of Residence when i start looking round universities?
    Don't expect the Ritz, but don't accept something that's falling down, either, and make sure it's not too expensive for what it is. Think about what you'd like ideally (smoking / non? en suite? shared? internet? phone? close to uni?) and prioritise those things.
  • Options
    Cheers everyone, starting uni in less than two months and this is such a help :D!
  • Options
    Become vegitarian - I love meat but I saved so much money by hardly eating any at uni and vegetables are so good for you as well if your creative you can eat well and not spend that much money (economy lines are good as well) I used to be able to feed myself for about £10 a week though with inflation and everythign i recon you can get away with about £15 these days if not less - I already knew how to cook so that wasnt' too much of an issue but it really helps - i'd have hated to go into catered halls where all my meal times were dictated and if i was running late i'd have missed them.

Oh also this is my top study tip - don't photocopy anything - instead sit in the library and read it and make notes - you a) save loads of money and b) learn and remember so much more if you photocopy stuff its too much of a temptation to just go through it and highlight bits and not really learn them - if you write it down you have to think about it.

Also be super organised with your notes. I had a folder which i carried around for my day to day work in it - when it got too full i put it into larger folders for each subject. Write your name, date and subject on each sheat of paper you loose so can then easily get it back into order if you drop them all.

Join loads of clubs at the freshers fair because they often have social events at the beginning of the year so you get to meet more people, you can reject the ones you really dont' like but don't dismiss anything at the start. Also if your in a club then you get to be on the comittee and organise things which is always useful for your CV and for those nasty graduate application forms. My closest uni friend is from Choir, we wern't even in the same college and would never have met otherwise.

And don't expect too much from it - I loved the learning but the social life bit wasnt' all that exciting tbh - i had a much better time when I was at school or going out with my non uni friends.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    And don't expect too much from it - I loved the learning but the social life bit wasnt' all that exciting tbh - i had a much better time when I was at school or going out with my non uni friends.

I'd go with that. Uni is hyped up way too much IMO from that point of view.
  • Options
    Yeah i would agree with alot of the stuff that u guys have already been saying. I am going to be starting my 2nd Year at The University Of Stirling ( :crazyeyes Scaryness) and i would say that staying in halls is a great way to make new friends and to basically get the feeling of being a student. I know a few people who stayed off campus for their first year and they said that they feel as if they had missed out on alot of the social life. Just makes sure that you feel ok sharing EVERYTHING with another 14 or 15 people. Don't being anything really valuable or it WILL go missing. I learnt that the hard way in my first semester. Make sure that you talk to the people on your floor as it makes ur life much easier and you may find yourself with friends for life, i know i did. Stirling is a campus based University and we have loads of stuff to do. There is a nightclub (Long Live Glow :hyper: ) 3 bars, a swimming pool, a gym, a golf course and loads of the walks around the lakes. Make sure you join some clubs aswell, i joined Dance @SU in my first year and altho i didn't have lots of time to actually go to all the meetings, i did make alot of friends and had alot of good parties. If u can, it is good to get involved with your student union. I was very interested in the student union @ Stirling fromt he beginning and became quite a local celebrity on the union website, Susaonline. Last semester i became a Returning Undergrad Rep for Susa so this semester i am hoping to put in my pennies worth. Remember, if u are serious about it, you are going to be @ Uni for a long time, so don't muck it up, don't drink all day every day ( i have seen it and it is not pretty, specially at exam time) but most of all HAVE FUN :thumb:

xxCatrionaxx
  • Options
    Heres a story for the Guys I think Girls remember things like this.

I had a great first night out at Uni, getting to know my housemates and other random ppl. The next morning I woke about 9 and went straight into my Ensuite showerroom and sat on the bog. I took a dump and then something terrible struck me. There was no Bog Roll. I clenched my cheeks and got dressed. I couldnt find any newspaper or anything else soft enough. There were only a couple of girls up and I kind fancied them at the time so I wasnt going to ask them for Bog Roll as that would be way too embarassing. I had to stay clenched for about 2 hours which wasnt very pleasant, until another guy got up and I could borrow some of his.

So my tip is: Grab a large multi pack of Bog Roll from Aldi before you go and while you are there stock up on cheap noodles and baked beans! Keep food in your room or it will find feet.
  • Options
    tescos do bacon, curry and chicken flavour noodles.....8p a packet YES 8P!