Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Skinny Jeans for men - good look or not so good

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you serious? You can't see how this or this is digusting?! Would you sleep with anyone there?

Lmao
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    These are my skinny jeans :D

So you're the one lucky bitch in the world that fits into skinny jeans and looks fit...
    blah wrote:
    Why is it disgusting though? Its just skin. Everyone has skin. I dont see how skin on a fat person can be more disgusting than skin on a thin person.

It isn't disgusting, its just a shame. Of course they can wear whatever they want, but I wish more people would look in the mirror and dress accordingly. To be honest I think blindly following fashion shows a lack of intellect.

I look shite in most fashion clothes because I'm not built for tight-fitting clothes. C'est la vie.
  • Options
    I only like my skinny jeans with big boots because they tuck in easily. In any other shoe I think that they make the ankle look weird and that's on ANY size. On another note I threw my skinny jeans out because my arse grew.
  • Options
    I think there would be an uproar if people started saying that anorexics should cover up because noone wants to see their skinny bones as its "disgusting", or if people were to say that everyone should cover up so that "fat" people don't feel intimidated.

There is far too much emphasis placed on being perfect- if less pressure was placed, then surely people would be more confident to actually dress to suit their size and shape.
  • Options
    Nice arse.

Thanks btw :)
    Kermit wrote:
    So you're the one lucky bitch in the world that fits into skinny jeans and looks fit...
    lol thanks. They're my first pair. I never thought I suited them until I tried those ones on.
  • Options
    Are the shoes from Primark? they remind me of a pair I've got from there.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

Where are you looking dude? There are loads of girls with great figures like Lipsy's that wear skinnj jeans :confused: albeit a lot of people that don't suit them too.
  • Options
    I think there would be an uproar if people started saying that anorexics should cover up because noone wants to see their skinny bones as its "disgusting", or if people were to say that everyone should cover up so that "fat" people don't feel intimidated.

People do say that though, rightly or wrongly.

I don't think overweight people should walk around in sacks, but it is depressing to see people dressed in such a way that does them absolutely no favours at all. Having four arse-cheeks is not a good look.
    There is far too much emphasis placed on being perfect- if less pressure was placed, then surely people would be more confident to actually dress to suit their size and shape.

I think I'd agree with that, there's pressure to dress fashionably to look good, and its a shame that people just blindly follow the fashion rather than stopping and thinking about wearing what suits them.

That said, though, the shops are largely to blame for a lot of it- the only jeans you seem to be able to get at the minute are skinny-fit jeans. If you're a chubby girl and you need jeans what are you meant to do?

The whole fashion and media industry is set up simply to make everyone feel bad about themselves. It's how they make money. Personally I'd shoot the lot of em.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Where are you looking dude? There are loads of girls with great figures like Lipsy's that wear skinnj jeans :confused: albeit a lot of people that don't suit them too.

Shush! I wana be the one woman in the world :razz:
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Shush! I wana be the one woman in the world :razz:
    *bows* sorry!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Where are you looking dude?

I reckon 95% of girls do not suit them. You need very slender legs and a small pert bottom to get away with them, and most girls don't have both.
  • Options
    That said, though, the shops are largely to blame for a lot of it- the only jeans you seem to be able to get at the minute are skinny-fit jeans. If you're a chubby girl and you need jeans what are you meant to do?

The whole fashion and media industry is set up simply to make everyone feel bad about themselves. It's how they make money. Personally I'd shoot the lot of em.

Too true, i've been looking for a new denim mini/short skirt for about...4 or 5 months now. There's nothing available that isn't too short so that it shows my bum cheeks or too long that its unattractive, or not well fitted so that it actually suits me! If anyone knows where they're doing denim skirts that are made in a stretchy material atm please let me know...
  • Options
    Too true, i've been looking for a new denim mini/short skirt for about...4 or 5 months now. There's nothing available that isn't too short so that it shows my bum cheeks or too long that its unattractive, or not well fitted so that it actually suits me! If anyone knows where they're doing denim skirts that are made in a stretchy material atm please let me know...
    market stalls are usually good for those
  • Options

I'm a *bigger* girl and it sucks that the trendy girls clothing stores only have up so size ___ and all the clothes are excessively clingee. I think things are slowly getting better.

No, seeing tubby people with flesh showing isn't too pretty, but neither should they be forced to cover up with baggy clothing
  • Options
    What a load of crap. Dressing for her size? What does that involve? She should be able to wear whatever the hell she wants, whatever her size.
    I disagree with that completely.

Women should dress for their shape in order to maximise their assets. Wearing something that is 'fashionable' yet completely unflattering is the quickest way to look awful.

It's a widely acknowledged fact that some clothes flatter certain shapes better than others... for example;
    Women with an ample breast look BETTER in tops that aren't up to the chin, because they maximise the area and make it look even bigger and more robust.
    Just like wearing a roll neck, with a flat chest will make a chest look bigger and more flattering to the person wearing it.
    A pencil skirt on an apple shape will create the look of curves, whereas on a pear shaped person, it will not flatter their shape.

There are certain 'rules' in fashion. They exist because they're accurate and true, not because people like making them up.

As for skinny jeans on men, I hate them and think they look awful and so unflattering.
  • Options
    I disagree with that completely.

Women should dress for their shape in order to maximise their assets. Wearing something that is 'fashionable' yet completely unflattering is the quickest way to look awful.

It's a widely acknowledged fact that some clothes flatter certain shapes better than others... for example;
    Women with an ample breast look BETTER in tops that aren't up to the chin, because they maximise the area and make it look even bigger and more robust.
    Just like wearing a roll neck, with a flat chest will make a chest look bigger and more flattering to the person wearing it.
    A pencil skirt on an apple shape will create the look of curves, whereas on a pear shaped person, it will not flatter their shape.

There are certain 'rules' in fashion. They exist because they're accurate and true, not because people like making them up.

As for skinny jeans on men, I hate them and think they look awful and so unflattering.

all those "rules" you just yacked on about are a result of how people have been made to think though.

Its like saying theres an ideal way to be, slim with curves and a large chest. Every fashion rule is about dressing to fit this ideal.

If nobody had been conditioned in the first place to think that this is the ideal then nobody would say people need to dress to flatter.

Your saying that a girl with a small chest will look like she has a larger chest if she wears a roll neck, but why should she need to do this? Having a bigger chest is not the ideal. Fat people are told they shouldnt wear things that dont "slim" or minimise their appearance, but why should they need to slim it? To fit this perfection thing? Its like saying every small chested girl has to make her boobs look as large as possible, and that every overweight person has to make themselves look as thin as possible

The worrying thing is, i do agree that fat people look bad in things that show bulges or has overhang, and that skinny people look bad when they show bones, but i think this is a result of how society has brainwashed everyone into thinking there is an ideal which everyone should dress towards. Women are not supposed to be curvy, women are not supposed to be slim, and women are not supposed to be fat. They are supposed to come in all shapes and sizes and i dont agree with how everyone is made to think women have to dress to maximise how much they fit this idea of a perfect figure.

At the end ofthe day, fashion has alot to answer for.
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    The worrying thing is, i do agree that fat people look bad in things that show bulges or has overhang, and that skinny people look bad when they show bones, but i think this is a result of how society has brainwashed everyone into thinking there is an ideal which everyone should dress towards. Women are not supposed to be curvy, women are not supposed to be slim, and women are not supposed to be fat. They are supposed to come in all shapes and sizes and i dont agree with how everyone is made to think women have to dress to maximise how much they fit this idea of a perfect figure.

Yes women (and men) are supposed to come in all shapes and sizes, but that doesn't mean that people are supposed to find all of these shapes and sizes equally attractive. Like it or not, people are genetically predetermined to find certain things more attractive than others, and fashion is just a response to that, to allow people to show off their most attractive features and hide their least attractive ones. Sure there are social trends which determine which of these features are prioritised at any one time, but at the end of the day, it's still pure biology that determines what people find physically attractive.
  • Options
    25.gif

this is the moment I've been waiting for so long.
  • Options
    tbh i think certin men can pull the look off but others just cant and look daft :)
  • Options
    Being in fashion and wearing clothes that suit your shape are two completely unrelated things.

Dressing for your shape isn't some kind of conspiracy. It's accurate. We're not all brainwashed to think that fat is ugly, some people truly find it unnattractive without having to be told so. That's why it's subjective.

However, there are ways of dressing so that you can flatter your assets and minimise the bits that YOU yourself don't like. A lot of (NOT ALL) flat chested women would like larger boobs and so if they wanted to create a shape using clothing, they would follow the rules I stated above.

It doesn't mean that every single person should follow them to a T, but it does mean that if someone wants to dress to flatter, then this is how it is best acheived.

I do not believe for one second that anyone is brainwashed into thinking that fat is ugly. If you find fat or thin to be aesthetically unpleasing, then that's your prerogative. The media will only say what the readers/listeners want to hear/read.
  • Options
    Being in fashion and wearing clothes that suit your shape are two completely unrelated things.

Dressing for your shape isn't some kind of conspiracy. It's accurate. We're not all brainwashed to think that fat is ugly, some people truly find it unnattractive without having to be told so. That's why it's subjective.

However, there are ways of dressing so that you can flatter your assets and minimise the bits that YOU yourself don't like. A lot of (NOT ALL) flat chested women would like larger boobs and so if they wanted to create a shape using clothing, they would follow the rules I stated above.

It doesn't mean that every single person should follow them to a T, but it does mean that if someone wants to dress to flatter, then this is how it is best acheived.

I do not believe for one second that anyone is brainwashed into thinking that fat is ugly. If you find fat or thin to be aesthetically unpleasing, then that's your prerogative. The media will only say what the readers/listeners want to hear/read.
    I agree!
  • Options
    The media will only say what the readers/listeners want to hear/read.

Ignoring the rest just because I can't even be arsed to go into it, this is completely untrue and bothers me. Maybe its just because I've got research that as good as proves otherwise :thumb:
  • Options
    Ignoring the rest just because I can't even be arsed to go into it, this is completely untrue and bothers me. Maybe its just because I've got research that as good as proves otherwise :thumb:

I can make up statements without backing them up and pretend they're facts too!

The media (at least, the media that deals with the inane bullshit women like about celebrity gossip, diet tips, what Serena Miller dictates to the rest of Britain is fashionable etc.) prints only what the readers of this stuff want to read about.

Please, no "Not all women like that, you sexist pig!"-esque comments; I already know.
  • Options
    Some women can pull of skinny jeans but NO men can... sorry but men wearing skinny jeans look like tards.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    (what Serena Miller dictates to the rest of Britain is fashionable etc.)
    Yeh, I like her. She's almost as cool as that Sienna woman :razz:
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Some women can pull of skinny jeans but NO men can... sorry but men wearing skinny jeans look like tards.

HATE skinny jeans on men....just makes a :yuck: :yuck: shape...not pleasing to the eye!!

Once swapped jeans with my friend I fancied (don't ask!! :lol: ) and the sight of him wearing my skinny jeans was strangely attractive, though....:chin:
  • Options
    Yeh, I like her. She's almost as cool as that Sienna woman :razz:

Damn, I'm so cool and non-mainstream I don't even know her name.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    The media (at least, the media that deals with the inane bullshit women like about celebrity gossip, diet tips, what Serena Miller dictates to the rest of Britain is fashionable etc.) prints only what the readers of this stuff want to read about.[/SIZE]

Yes and no. Advertising and the media can never get someone to buy something that they don't already have a desire to own already, but it can shift the focus. It can't convince girls (or boys) that something is attractive when it is completely against their nature, but it can make someone place more importance on a particular attribute, such as long legs, large breasts or a round bum. All of these things are things which people know are attractive features, but the media can shift the emphasis. A recent example of this would be the shift in focus from the boobs of Pamela Anderson and Carmen Electra, to the arse of Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce and Kylie.
  • Options
    my boyfriend wears them and i HATE it! but he wont listen

i wear them but i like them on me :)
  • Options
    Yes and no. Advertising and the media can never get someone to buy something that they don't already have a desire to own already, but it can shift the focus. It can't convince girls (or boys) that something is attractive when it is completely against their nature, but it can make someone place more importance on a particular attribute, such as long legs, large breasts or a round bum. All of these things are things which people know are attractive features, but the media can shift the emphasis. A recent example of this would be the shift in focus from the boobs of Pamela Anderson and Carmen Electra, to the arse of Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce and Kylie.

Why quote me then make a comment that has nothing to do with what I said? :E

That aside, I disagree. I know what you're saying. If I don't want a car, a car advert isn't going to make me buy one. If I do want a car, I'm going to go out, do some research, and get one I like and that suits me; not because an advert told me to. Although I've seen people (girls mainly) claim to hate a certain thing purely from seeing other people who can't pull it off wearing it, then see an advert/picture with a celebrity/model sporting it and suddenly change their minds, realise the item actually looks pretty good if done properly, and go out and buy it.