Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any language-y people...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
...able to tell me the form of the sentence "I've been waiting for an hour".

I have deduced that it's present perfect cont (?) but I'm not too sure about the fact that there seem to have three (!) verbs there including the auxiliary [have]. Is that right?

If anyone can help, cheers :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It is the present perfect continuous, and it's perfectly ok to 'stack' aux verbs like this.

E.g. I might have been waiting.
    I might have been used to waiting.

And so on. So, in your example 'have been' are the aux verbs, while 'waiting' is the main verb. If you were parsing it, it would be like:

S a a V
    (I) (have been waiting)
  • Options
    :crazyeyes
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    :crazyeyes

:yes:
  • Options
    That's what I thought as well tbh. I wonder why she needed to know it :chin:
  • Options
    Syntax = :banghead: :crazyeyes :nervous: :grump: :banghead: :shocking: :shocking:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Syntax = :banghead: :crazyeyes :nervous: :grump: :banghead: :shocking: :shocking:
    Whose syntax?
  • Options
    Syntax as in the area of linguistics, I don't like it very much and I think I have to take it again next year to make up some credits for my degree :crying:
  • Options
    Syntax as in the area of linguistics, I don't like it very much and I think I have to take it again next year to make up some credits for my degree :crying:
    Ah, I thought you meant briggi's syntax or someone's who replied.
    I find it hard to imagine there could be a whole class about syntax :|
  • Options

God you can take a degree in that crap?

I tuned out after Briggi's post and that was only a sentence or two :p
  • Options
    I had to do it last year, this year I've been doing sociolinguistics (looking at the variation in speech, eg different accents and dialects), and phonetics, which is the sounds made in speech. Those are both far more interesting than Syntax, which actually makes me want to cry.

After last year I thought I'd never have to take it again and so wiped it from my memory, unfortunately I think I have to do it again. Hence the :crying:
  • Options
    The fella is doing a TEFL course part time, just double checking :)

Cheers TheKoG. Heather I don't envy your course AT ALL after being completely flummoxed by even the stuff he has to learn/is expected to know. Wow.
  • Options
    I'm doing TEFL next term. Fucksake, now I have to revise Syntax for it? I've already got to relearn all my Old English paradigms for History of English 2. Next term is going to be SHITE.
  • Options
    I'm doing TEFL next term. Fucksake, now I have to revise Syntax for it? I've already got to relearn all my Old English paradigms for History of English 2. Next term is going to be SHITE.

Oops, I hate to be the bearer of bad news :razz:

It does seemingly go into syntax in quite some detail with higher level groups, I'm so relieved I just have to glance over the work and not submit crazy language analysis essays and perform micro-teaching slots all over the place just to go and piss about abroad as most people are planning to. Hard work!
  • Options
    It is the present perfect continuous, and it's perfectly ok to 'stack' aux verbs like this.

E.g. I might have been waiting.
    I might have been used to waiting.

And so on. So, in your example 'have been' are the aux verbs, while 'waiting' is the main verb. If you were parsing it, it would be like:

S a a V
    (I) (have been waiting)

Yup.

Thing is, we don't learn this kind of thing in English so I have to translate it into Spanish and then work backwards. Either that or try very hard to recall the murky days when I used to do Latin.

The present perfect requires the auxilliary verb as far as I'm aware.

Present : I wait
    Imperfect : I was waiting / I used to wait
    Perfect : I waited
    Pluperfect : I had waited
    Simple future : I will wait
    Future perfect : I will have waited
    Present continuous : I am waiting
    Present perfect continuous : I have been waiting
    Pluperfect continuous : I had been waiting

Then you've got all kinds of fun with subjunctives, conditionals etc.

See kids, language can be fun!

God bless Russian for only having three tenses.
  • Options
    I'd like to see how you'd do with greek, each verb has 25 forms depending on tense and person (as in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc).
  • Options
    I don't really have a fucking clue what the hell anyone is on about in here. lol, sorry.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I don't really have a fucking clue what the hell anyone is on about in here. lol, sorry.

Your not alone there.

But then i talk like an idiot anyway and have no grasp of english so only to be expected :lol:
  • Options
    I'd like to see how you'd do with greek, each verb has 25 forms depending on tense and person (as in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc).

Does Greek have a case system like Russian for nouns and adjectives? Since the latter is derived from the former I have a feeling it may but you know more than me...
  • Options
    Does Greek have a case system like Russian for nouns and adjectives? Since the latter is derived from the former I have a feeling it may but you know more than me...
    I don't know any Russian. What's a "case system"?
    Do you mean like the name "John" being different in each of the phrases "John is here", "This is John's hand" "This belongs to John" and "John, where are you"?
    If yes, then yes.
  • Options

*copies and saves for future reference* Ta Thunderstruck :thumb:
  • Options
    *copies and saves for future reference* Ta Thunderstruck :thumb:

DON'T quote me on that. It's been a while since I did Latin but I'm pretty sure that's right.

EDIT: Forgot

Future Perfect Continuous : I will have been waiting
  • Options
    DON'T quote me on that. It's been a while since I did Latin but I'm pretty sure that's right.

EDIT: Forgot

Future Perfect Continuous : I will have been waiting
    The ones that I have been taught in Spanish look right to me (not that that's any consolation). I will NOT miss tenses :|
  • Options
    I never did anything about tenses at school, not in English or French (that I remember) and only a small amount for A level, so my knowledge of them is lacking somewhat. It's a pain when most other people on my course know them well.
  • Options

Russian is the most fucked-up grammatically language ! I speak 3 languages and the Russian is the one which confuses me all the time, despite it's quite similar to my native tongue. Oh, I almost forgot the French :chin:
  • Options
    Yup.

Thing is, we don't learn this kind of thing in English so I have to translate it into Spanish and then work backwards. Either that or try very hard to recall the murky days when I used to do Latin.

See kids, language can be fun!

God bless Russian for only having three tenses.

I think you've missed out the preterite and put it as the perfect:

Preterite: I waited
    Perfect: I have waited
  • Options
    I think you've missed out the preterite and put it as the perfect:

Preterite: I waited
    Perfect: I have waited

My bad. Thanks.
  • Options
    No problem, it took me a while to work out what it actually was!!

I reckon they should teach more of the basics of english grammar in school, the only reason I have any idea is because I learnt several foreign languages.
  • Options
    Day40 wrote: »
    Russian is the most fucked-up grammatically language ! I speak 3 languages and the Russian is the one which confuses me all the time, despite it's quite similar to my native tongue. Oh, I almost forgot the French :chin:

I hate French with a passion. I cant even talk it anymore, everytime on hoilday over there when I had to speak French, I would revert to Spanish. :o
  • Options
    I hate French with a passion. I cant even talk it anymore, everytime on hoilday over there when I had to speak French, I would revert to Spanish. :o
    Same here! :)
  • Options
    As far as I remember, English doesn't have a strict future tense, but only two tenses: past and present. All the other tenses are declined using auxiliary verbs, modal verbs, or adverbs of time.