Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Any language-y people...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I heard that the phrase "I went" is the past tense of the verb "to wind", not go. True?
  • Options
    I reckon they should teach more of the basics of english grammar in school, the only reason I have any idea is because I learnt several foreign languages.
    But who would teach it?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I heard that the phrase "I went" is the past tense of the verb "to wind", not go. True?

Kind of true and not true. 'to go' is a bit of a bastardised verb, cause it takes its paradigm from a number of different verbs: 'I went' is taken from 'went' which was the past tense and past participle of 'wendan' (to turn, go). But then the 'went' began to emerge as the past tense of 'to go'. So, English lost 'wendan', but kept parts of the paradigm.

Historically, it's related to the verb 'to wind' when it acts as a causative (where a person causes or forces someone else to do something). It's found in 'to wend one's way' for example.

And as for who would teach grammar, how about English teachers? Although personally I believe it should be down to all teachers to promote good grammar.
  • Options
    Yep, i think it should be included in English- or even in the governments literacy program. it's not just about reading, ya know.

it'd be more useful learning grammar etc than debating the intricacies of the statement "Ralph laughed"
  • Options
    Get a copy of Fowler's English Usage. That will explain all.
  • Options
    I think if I needed to, then i'd quite happily buy a book etc- as soon as I can afford it. But how many of the country would actually do it off their own back? far too many people lose their appreciation for learning and will not touch a book outside of what they're forced to do for lessons. Therefore I think it should be included in the literacy program!
  • Options
    It should be taught. Not only from a prescriptive stance (i.e. how people 'should' speak), but also from a descriptive stance. In urban Britain, it's young speakers who are the leaders in the most innovative phonological, semantic, and syntactical linguistic changes, and we should involve young people in understanding this variation.