Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Size 0

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you all think about size 0?
Do you think that the media is to blame for it?
Would any of you actually want to be a size 0?
Lads what do you think are you attracted to girls who are a size 0?

Quite interested in what people think about this

Personally i think that a size 0 (uk size 4) is too thin and i dont think that its attractive so id love to find out what you all think.

Comments

• Options
    People can be naturally skinny, naturally an average size, or naturally a bigger than average size.

Average is just an average, people are attracted to people of all different sizes.

Some girls could be a size 0 and not loot too thin, by having a genuinly small frame. Others will look skeletal because their frame is too big to be that size.

If a girl is a size 0 naturally, then i dont see a problem with it. If a girl should really be a natural size 12 then i dont believe they should force their body to be as thin as a size 0.
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    People can be naturally skinny, naturally an average size, or naturally a bigger than average size.

Average is just an average, people are attracted to people of all different sizes.

Some girls could be a size 0 and not loot too thin, by having a genuinly small frame. Others will look skeletal because their frame is too big to be that size.

If a girl is a size 0 naturally, then i dont see a problem with it. If a girl should really be a natural size 12 then i dont believe they should force their body to be as thin as a size 0.
    Spot on!
  • Options
    I know a girl at school who i think must be a 4 so american 0. She's quite tall and has a thin frame, she wore a dress the other day and her legs were like poles. She doesn't eat breakfast or lunch because she says she never gets hungry till late in the day. And she obsesses about what she eats and was on about going on the gillian mckieth food cause she wanted to watch her weight. I think she's only 7st and it's worrying. I asked her if i was a heffer at 9st and she said i look fine, so i asked her if i look fine at 2st heavier and about 3 inches shorter then what was wrong with her. She said she didn't like how she looked, i tried telling her that there was nothing on her but she wouldn't take it. It's hard to say if she's full on anorexic or just really thin, because that's how she's been since i've known her.

I'm just under 9st and used to be 8, thanks to the pill. I do want to lose it, well i'd be happy with half, but i enjoy food too much to obsess over it. I do try to be healthy but i'm not going to deny myself when i fancy something.
  • Options
    I'm naturally a size four (so US Size 0) around my waist / bum / hips area.

I eat what I like - some veg and fruit cos I like the taste, crisps and chocolate whenever I like and a lot of floury-type things, bread, cakes, doughnuts etc - and never seem to put any significant weight on. I've been 8st for about the last two years, never budging more than a pound or two either way.

I'm also 5ft 7in and have a 34D chest, and so luckily that makes most people understand that I'm just slim (hate the word skinny!) naturally and not that I've dieted to be this way (cos otherwise my boobs would have disappeared).

I would love to put more weight on. I was 9st 7lb about five year ago when I was at college and was a 8/10 - it was so much easier to find clothes to fit back then! I saw one of my friend's friends last night - she was appearing in a concert, so I got to watch her for quite a while and realised I'd love to have a figure like hers. I asked, and turns out she's a 10/12 so I've got some work to do yet!

Judge for yourself if I look ill..
  • Options
    quite interesting to hear peoples views on this keep em comin
  • Options
    I haven't been smaller than a size 10 since i was 15, I'm 5ft4 so that was averagely slim. I have a friend who is exactly the same height as me and she was a size 10 when we were at school now she is a size 6....but it looks fine on her. Her younger sister is probably the same height as us and weighs the same as my 13year old sister (35kg or 5.5stone) and she looks like death.

When i ask her why she likes being so thin she says she thinks its sexy, my guess is she thinks because lindsay lohan and nicole richie are so thin she should be too.

My older sister is 5ft5 and likes to think she's a size 8 (shes a size 10) has been going to the gym 3times a day everyday to try and get that thin...and why? Because the media publicises Paris Hilton as being the average weight.

My husbands sister is about 5ft3 and has a small frame, but looked healthy at 52kg (8.2stone) but has been starving herself to get thinner, then she found out she has more body fat than me and i look twice her size. But she didnt care how much her body fat percentage was, she just wanted to be thin...

Don't get me wrong, i think if a girl is naturally thin and not killing herself to be a size 0 or even 00 then fine. I especially think its fine on shorter girls...ones below 5ft2. But i hate the way the media brainwashes young girls (and men) to think that thin is sexy, or thin is good...models have died trying to keep their labels happy and so they don't get dropped and i think its about time the media changes this. I am now a size 12/14 and when i stand naked in front of a mirror i don't feel fat! My waist looks small and my arms are well built, i do want to loose a bit of weight here and there but if i can't then so fucking what. The past year and a half has been hard for me in terms of weight, PCOS has caused me to gain 20kg or 3.2stone...but through treatment i am now at a healthier weight. Now i know whats going on i can and am handling the weight issue...but i never once wanted to be so thin.

Sorry for the rant
  • Options
    Well I'm 5 foot 2 and a size 10. Sometimes 8 if they shop has weird sizes. I wouldn't mind being curvier when I'm feeling hormonal but I'm pretty content with my size. My mum's side of the family are all pretty slim so it's in the genes really. I've had people be rude to me in the past. Once in a club a girl came upto me. Pinched my hip and said 'Corr you're so skinny'. Of course I was supposed to be completely bawled over and complimented and exclaim how nice her bag was..:rolleyes: Eurgh. It's damn rude. People usually have a pretty good idea of their own body shape/size and 'fat' or 'skinny' I really don't think they need it pointing out to them.
  • Options
    i am a happy size ten, twelve in jeans sometimes because i prefer them baggy. im a 34c/d and i have quite a small bum. i am happy with my shape really and my boyfriends have always seem to appreciate it too. i dont like my feet though they are wide and quite big but theres not much i can do about that
  • Options
    I don't mind if a person is a natural size zero. They don't looklike they're skin and bones and I do fancy them. Those who force themselve to be a size zero make me literally feel ill and angry as I have known people with anorexia.
    It annoys me even more how womens magazines and the media perpetuate this extremely thin equals sexy attitude that costs thousands of people their lives every year.

Natural = sexy
    Forced = horrible and dangerous
  • Options
    I'm a size 10/12 up top and a size 12 at bottom (although I have a few size 10 jeans/skirts). I'm 5'8". I'm slowly but surely becoming happy with my body. I'd just like to tone up a bit. This is my natural figure and I'm happy with it. I am beginning to love my curves. I'm a 34E which I really like. I love having boobs (even though they are a pain in the arse).

When I had a eating problem a few years back, I dropped down to a size 8 which really didn't suit me. I lost my boobs too. Boys didn't find it attractive when I was literally skin and bones. My boyfriend at the time lost interest in me. As I wasn't eating and my weight loss was forced, I felt dreadful. I looked really unhealthy because I wasn't supposed to be and never will be a size 8. It looked a bit minging. People were always commenting on how ill I looked and stuff.

In my opinion, you can tell the difference just by looking at a natural size 8 girl to that of one who forces herself to be like that. I mean, I have a friend who is 5'9", a size 8 and has 34G boobs and she looks healthy. Her size suits her. However, one of her friends who is shorter than her and the same size looks terrible as she never eats.

As for the media, I do think they are to blame to an extent. When I suffered from an eating problem, I was constantly looking at the "how to be a size 8" articles, etc. I felt as though, I was supposed to be a size 8 and thats what was attractive. I was incredibly insecure at the time though so the media wasn't to blame, I guess they just made my problem a little worse.

Most boys I've spoken to love my figure how it is now and these are the boys who saw me as a size 8. Boys love my curves. I don't know whether that is because they don't want me to be silly and diet again but personally, when I look in the mirror, I do realise that I look much better as a size 10/12 than a rake because that is what I looked like, a rake. It looked completely unnatural, unhealthy and minging. I was pale, I looked ill, you could see some of my bones and stuff. If a girl is naturally a small size then they don't look this way normally, it is those that force it that do.
  • Options
    Lads what do you think are you attracted to girls who are a size 0?

Size 0's are minging if you've forced yourself down to that size, they look all boney and ill.
  • Options
    I'm a size 10/12 up top and a size 12 at bottom (although I have a few size 10 jeans/skirts). I'm 5'8". I'm slowly but surely becoming happy with my body. I'd just like to tone up a bit. This is my natural figure and I'm happy with it. I am beginning to love my curves. I'm a 34E which I really like. I love having boobs (even though they are a pain in the arse).

I'm pretty much the same as you, only difference is I'm smaller (5ft 4 or 5 according to my tutor, which admittedly, is taller than I thought).

I could probably stand to loose a bit of weight, but not enough to alter my dress size etc... I'm by no means huge, I'm just naturally this shape. I've never not been this way and I doubt it'd suit me to be that skinny.

I think it can look horrendous to be that thin - obviously if they are naturally that slim, and it's in proportion then it's all well and good, but all these bony girls who aren't meant to be look godawful most of the time - pale and pasty looking skin usually as well from the lack of nutirents they're usually getting. I was amazed when they started selling Size 4 clothes in my local ASDA - a year ago it was unheard of to find size 6 or 8 in there.

So no. I wouldn't want to look that way myself, but thats my mind..... people are all different in their opinions of attractiveness... Case in point, my friend who's constantly dieting and weight obsessed and I were looking through a magazine the other week... and came across pictures of Charlotte Church and of Nicole Richie... I'd much rather look like Charlotte Church than Nicole Richie, but my friend? She thinks the complete opposite.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    ..started selling Size 4 clothes in my local ASDA..

That's how I know I'm a Size 4 - I can easily fit into a Size 4 pair of jeans from Asda. I didn't buy them because I didn't want a reminder that I'm that thin.
  • Options
    Lol i think the last time i was size 0 i was about 6 :chin:

If your naturally that slim then of course theres nothing wrong with it, i think theres only something wrong with it when you go from being a 12 or whatever to being a 0. Skin and bones is not a good look on anyone.
  • Options
    probably vanity sizing tbh
  • Options
    We went out to eat last night with one of Ed's friends. She is a size 0. She is nice and healthy. Doesn't even look all that thin.

Like Blah said, some people are naturally thin. And you wouldn't expect a short person to be a size 10 now either, they would then be harassed for being too large.

Plus, as Katrella states, its vanity sizing. A size 0 is not what it used to be... even the sub 0 or 00 sizes are getting bigger.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    probably vanity sizing tbh

I think so too. In most shops now I'm a size 6-8 yet I know for a fact that I haven't got any smaller. Its the shops that are getting bigger. I know because I haven't changed size in Diesel for example where everything is measured in inches.
  • Options
    I wear a "size zero", I hate being told it's disgusting.
  • Options
    If naturally slim and a small dress size, theres nothing wrong as long as you look healthy (which you do Randomgirl) If you force your body to be that thin then its not natural. I've always been big, for as long as I can remember, and its just my natural body shape.
  • Options
    I have very strong opinions on this topic...

Like people have already said I think some of it must be the shops changing their sizes... In which case some naturally slim girls will look OK being a size 4, yes. (And I think it must change from town to town as well, cos I've never even seen a size 4 sold where I live).

BUT I really don't think this whole smaller-framed girls look OK thin thing is true...
    Aged 13 I weighed 6 and a half stone... I haven't changed height since then... I'm 5'3".
    Then when I was 14 I lost some weight, due to suffering from a long-term illness/having an operation and generally being depressed. At that time I sometimes didn't fit into size 6 clothes, so I guess I must have been a size 4/6... I weighed 5 stone 10... I thought at the time that I was naturally skinny... I had boobs etc... But looking back I know I just really wasn't healthy. It's not that I didn't want to put on weight, cos I hated being skinny... you get loads of comments from people and it really dragged me down; I didn't like not fitting in nice clothes etc.
    And I did eat... I ate healthily, I had snacks and regualar meals... But I really wasn't eating enough. I really don't know how I was coping on so little... I'd eat breakfast... then pick at lunch cos I often didn't feel hungry... just had like half a sandwich and then had dinner but not very much.
    Because I was eating regulally I convinced myself that I was eating enough and I didn't have an eating disorder...

But anyways... Now I'm 7 stone(ish), size 8/10 and I still feel too thin and I'm still technically underweight acording to BMI... So basically what that's saying to me is, if I'm underweight and fit in size 8/10s... then girls who are in size 4's, no matter what height they are (unless really really well under average) have got to be malnourished. (Again unless they're changing the shop sizes which I really wish they wouldn't cos I don't want to have to buy size 4s, it'd be really depressing to me :rolleyes: ).
  • Options
    its just another clothes size.
    Most women will never be able to even diet to that siz due to bone structure even if they wanted to, but theres also a fair few out there who are naturally tiny framed and it doesnt look horrid or too thin or disgusting like some people try and make out.
    some girls are bigger than others, some girls mothers are bigger than other girls mothers.

You can tell when someones really thin because theyre anorexic, or if theyre really thin because they are naturally skinny. It just looks different.
    Like Lily Cole looks like shes supposed to be thin - whereas Nicole Richie looks like she has an ED.

Why the hell is it even an issue that shops stock sizes to fit all sorts of people?
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I
    But anyways... Now I'm 7 stone(ish), size 8/10 ....then girls who are in size 4's, no matter what height they are (unless really really well under average) have got to be malnourished. .

Thats the thing though, its difficult to judge because I'm a 6/8 yet I'm 8stone whereas you're only 7stone. If I was 7stone though I'd looking really ill. So its the shop sizing really. I know a few years ago before shops started fuckin their sizes up to make poeple buy their clothes that I was an 8/10.
  • Options
    I've always been big, for as long as I can remember, and its just my natural body shape.

Me too! I mean, I could do with loosing quite a bit of belly at the moment but I reckon if I lost a lot of weight I'd look in the mirror and not feel like me!
  • Options
    Me too! I mean, I could do with loosing quite a bit of belly at the moment but I reckon if I lost a lot of weight I'd look in the mirror and not feel like me!

I could do with loosing a bit of belly and weight overall, but I'm dont think I'll ever be smaller then a size 14/16 (I'm a 16/18 atm) unless I was ill. I'm just curvy naturally.
  • Options
    I think it all comes down to feeling healthy rather than size per se...if you're eating the right stuff, getting enough exercise, you feel good and you're a size 16, then great!! Same applies if you find yourself naturally at a size 0.....
  • Options
    To Freeallangels: That's exactly what I was just saying to my boyfriend. I'd never be skinny! I do quite like being big, for lots of reasons but I do need to lose some weight. I've put on quite a scary amount recently because I have to stop doing my sport when I come to uni. :o whoops a daisy!
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    ... girls who are in size 4's, no matter what height they are (unless really really well under average) have got to be malnourished...

In your opinion..

I'm not at all malnourished. I'm just naturally thin.
  • Options
    It's OK if it's a person's natural frame, but not if you have to live on a lettuce leaf a day to do it and look like a walking x ray in the process.

It's not OK if it's made out to be like the Holy Grail of body image that we're all supposed to aspire to. I'd probably die before I got to a size 4.
  • Options
    As for the sizing thing...i can sometimes fit into size 6 and 8's in asda and other places. Yet im a size 12.

Sizing is really fucked up and it pisses me off. Why cant a size 12 be a size 12, and a size 6 be exactly what it is.
  • Options
    My hips and boobs have grown so that in those areas, I'm a UK size 8/10. My waist and rib cage are, annoyingly, UK 4/6, and my legs, hips and arse ignored, are still size 6. Saying that, I have a pair of US size 0 jeans on right now (bought 4/5 years ago from Gap) and they aren't a bad fit.

Agree that the shop sizing is a major issue. Wish they'd stop making clothes bigger so people feel better about themselves. :rolleyes:

I think, although I could be wrong, but back in her day Marilyn Monroe was a size 12? :confused: