Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Size 0

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Meryn wrote: »
    I always thought that European 38 was 10, not 6....

European 38 = UK 10 = US 6

What is the european measurement though? 38 what? inches? around where?
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    What I'm saying is, I know my BMI is classed as dangerously underweight... It's 17 and a bit or just a bit less (depending what day I weigh myself)... So if I'm 'dangerously underweight' and a size 8/10... then someone who is a size 4 must be even tinier than I am... or the sizing of the shops is wonko.

I think what Lipsy meant is that you can't judge it by weight, and she's right. Bodies weigh different amounts. I'm pretty densely built, so get up to a size 10, I have to weigh in at about 9.5 stone, which BMI-wise is edging very close to being overweight for my height.

On a different note, the other day in Asda, I tried on a size 4 hoodie that was BIGGER than the size 12 (warehouse, from about 1997) hoodie I was wearing. Are people really getting smaller? :chin:
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    European 38 = UK 10 = US 6

What is the european measurement though? 38 what? inches? around where?

Oops, sorry, not awake today. No idea. 38 penguins.
  • Options
    I agree with what most people have said, that a woman at her natural weight looks attractive and healthy and a woman at an unnatural weight for her looks less attractive and less healthy.
    I used to be anorexic and bulimic and at my thinnest was just over 6 stone. I am 5ft 2", so for many women my height this would not be an unnatural weight for them, though it is technically unhealthy verging on emaciated if you place any importance on BMIs as a measurement (which btw, I don't as muscle weighs more than fat and the BMI measurement could therefore judge many professional athletes as overweight when in fact they have very high muscle density. As a guide to what is healthy and what is not, it has some value I believe, but is not a true indicator of what is healthy for each individual's body as opposed to a median or averge or whatever. But anyway, small digression...) . But being that size was unhealthy for me. I could count my ribs at the front and back, my hair fell out, my skin was ashy coloured and unhealthy-looking, I was constantly tired, I has callouses on my hand from sticking it down my throat, my head looked like a lollipop head (I can now see this in pictures) and I still perceived myself as too fat. That is what is unhealthy, not a woman's weight or clothes size. A woman who wears a UK size 4 can be just as healthy as a woman who wears a UK size 10 or 12 and healthier than a woman who wears a size 20. We are who we are and obviously we are all of us different.

To add something else to the mix however... Here in Scotland I see extremes of weight all the time. I see women who are very very thin and I see women who are very overweight. I lived in Italy for a while in Tuscany and can think of only very rare incidences of seeing extremes of weight in Italian women. Most clothes shops only stock sizes 40, 42 and 44 which are British sizes 8, 10 and 12 and I hardly ever saw an Italian woman who was outside of this size-ranging. I noticed that Italian sizing was also in general smaller than British sizing. Why do you think our country is so full of extremes of weight when other European countries are not? Or do you have a different experience of this?

Mila
  • Options
    Is there anyone here tht actually starved themselves down to this weight?
    Sorry if I've missed a post...
  • Options
    :yes: You always get the size 14+ saying how men prefer curves. But then when you look at all the women in men's mags and on page 3 they're all size8-10 but with a nice arse and big boobs (fake or not). They all have flat tummies and they're all toned.

But that's like saying all women like orange toned poofters in drainpipes because all the men in Cosmo are orange toned poofters in drainpipes.

I think most of the girls in lads mags are rough as sin *shrug*
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    But that's like saying all women like orange toned poofters in drainpipes because all the men in Cosmo are orange toned poofters in drainpipes.

I think most of the girls in lads mags are rough as sin *shrug*

Haha good point. Most of the male models in my magazines look kinda androgynous.
  • Options
    :yes: You always get the size 14+ saying how men prefer curves. But then when you look at all the women in men's mags and on page 3 they're all size8-10 but with a nice arse and big boobs (fake or not). They all have flat tummies and they're all toned.

Well you can be curvy and have flat tummys. It depends what yo class curvy as. Curvy isn't fat. Theres a difference.
    I have been slim and "fat" and i have always thought the same. Stick thin and boney really doesn't appeal to me.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    I think what Lipsy meant is that you can't judge it by weight, and she's right. Bodies weigh different amounts. I'm pretty densely built, so get up to a size 10, I have to weigh in at about 9.5 stone, which BMI-wise is edging very close to being overweight for my height.

On a different note, the other day in Asda, I tried on a size 4 hoodie that was BIGGER than the size 12 (warehouse, from about 1997) hoodie I was wearing. Are people really getting smaller? :chin:

:) Yeah I guess that's right... it's just so fucking confusing all this sizing stuff.
  • Options
    louise looked awful, her eyes were sunken n dark, her skin pale...

i dont think the impact was as high as she is tiny anyway, i think if you`d have taken someone who is a size 12, it'd hit home more, but because she was tiny anyway, she didnt look horribly boney, just ill
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Why not?

Extremes of weight rarely are- having more chins than a Chinese phone book isn't a very appealing look either. But few people are in the extremes, which is why they are not appealing.

But with the changes in sizing a size 0 girl doesn't have to be an anorexic- a size 0 was probably a size 6/8 20 years ago.

I wouldn't say that I preferred skinny girls (my wife definitely has hips and boobies) but the abuse handed out to slender girls is not good. Girls generally look best at the size they are meant to be, and some girls have small waists and small boobs and look fucking hot for it. Equally some girls have big hips and big boobs and look fucking hot for it.

The media go on about slender women because it is something that most women cannot be, and therefore its an excellent way of preying on insecurity. A lot of women could starve themselves until they were 70 and still not be slender.

Spot on there!!

I was a size 10 when i was 16. So obviously I've put a slight amount of weight on since being 16, and had a child, but yet now i'm a size 6. Possibly a 4.

Someone said something about, skinny woman with curves being ill.
    Well that's not true. I'm a size 6, and i've been working-out and have put more weight on, but lost it around my waist, so therefore look curvier!

People are too quick to judge in there own mind, What looks right and what doesn't, We are all allowed opinions, of course, But, I don't like the way people make harsh statements judged on personal opinion, Rather than facts.

Anyway, Size Zero, I've not seen/tried any yet. If I fit into them great. It's something new. If i don't, then I'll go find something else new in fashion to wear.
  • Options
    Meryn wrote: »
    I always thought that European 38 was 10, not 6....

Haha. I wanna go to America and be able to get clothes in size 8!