Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Size 0

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go_away wrote: »
    If you're the editor of a magazine, then it's not up to you to tell the public what's decent or responsible. It doesn't sell magazines.

And again used, the time old excuse of the irresponsible business people "It doesn't make money."

So you're telling me that if every Magazine started putting in information that's resposible, that people are going to stop reading them?
    So you're telling me that if every Magazine started putting in information that's resposible, that people are going to stop reading them?

It won't sell.

Look at diets. Everyone knows that the most effective way to become lean is to eat sensibly and have a good exercise regieme consisting of a mix of cardio and weights. But that takes too long and for some it's too much effort. Quick fix solutions are 'better'.

So what do you think is going to sell more? "Atkins diet, Z list celebrity loses x lbs in x days, you can too!" or "Eat the right foods and exercise. Person in the street lost fat and gained muscle in 12 weeks."

Or relationships. When is the last time there was an article saying, "You know what, it's ok to feel a little jealous/insecure" rather like, "10 reasons why he may cheat on you," "how to spot the signs he might like other women". While I hate to quote him, Michael Moore has a spot of truth in the saying that fear breeds consumerism.
    And again used, the time old excuse of the irresponsible business people "It doesn't make money."

Well, that's exactly what it is, business. It's not sharing feelings round a fire exchanging marshmallow squares. People are there to make money.
    unfortunately magazines are also paid to advertise certain products in certain ways. Some brands will sponsor an agony aunt page and request that every week there is a specific percentage of replies which will market their product in some way or other. Irrisponsible yes...it may be but magazines are out to make money not look out for people's best interests.

As go_away said, people dont want to spend hours and hours in a gym if they already have low self-esteem, so they turn to easy diets which deprive them of vital foods (carbs anyone?) and tell them to eat a lot less than what their body requires per day. Another reason people prefer not to go to gyms is because of the people who go there (generally thin gym bunnies), I should be at the gym now, but i cant be bothered and on top of that i hate being the "fat" person at the gym (even though i dont think im fat at all).

Sorry but i still stand by my notion that the media feeds women a load of shit about weight and sizes, simply to feed on insecurities related to relationships, body and image.
    Only the US or do you think there should be a worldwide standard?

worldwide
    Ballerina wrote: »
    wtf? i'd like to see him starve himself down to a 4, the sick fuck

thats shallow blokes for ya isnt it they only care about looks they dont give a damn about whats underneath
    What do people mean when they say a size zero? Do they mean an American zero (which I think would be a UK 4)

I think most people look better with a bit of flesh on them but it depends on their figure. What's her name, that actress who plays Marissa in the OC, she's a 0 I think, and she looks fine as she is tall and sort of willowy.

I'm not at all bothered about being a 0, I'd be happy to be a 12 to be honest! I think most people have a natural size that they settle at when they eat healthily and exercise, and that is their natural size.
    unfortunately magazines are also paid to advertise certain products in certain ways. Some brands will sponsor an agony aunt page and request that every week there is a specific percentage of replies which will market their product in some way or other

:yes:
    What do people mean when they say a size zero? Do they mean an American zero (which I think would be a UK 4)

Don't know about anyone else, I was referring to a UK 4.
    katchika wrote: »

I think most people look better with a bit of flesh on them but it depends on their figure. What's her name, that actress who plays Marissa in the OC, she's a 0 I think, and she looks fine as she is tall and sort of willowy.

I'm not at all bothered about being a 0, I'd be happy to be a 12 to be honest! I think most people have a natural size that they settle at when they eat healthily and exercise, and that is their natural size.

I wouldn't have thought Mischa Barton was a size 0. I've always thought she's a good example of someone who's naturally skinny as her top half looks pretty skeletal but her lower half is pretty... normal and not at all willowy. An awkward shape, and probably quite a typical pear... if she diets her lower half down to the way she wants it then the rest of her looks emaciated but if she has her top half looking good her thighs/hips/bum suffer (in Hollywood's opinion, not mine). If she didn't have the height on her I think she'd look a fairly average size.

I couldn't physically be a size 0, I don't have the inclination at all and certainly don't have the willpower to whittle myself down to such a degree through diet and exercise. Maybe if I were to get onto some of the drugs that these celebrities undoubtedly use... I was going to say models/celebrities but some of these actresses and socialites are starting to make runway and magazine models look positively buxom!

I'm not too sure about whether men are blowing smoke saying they prefer curvier women, because it has actually been my experience that they do. My male friends all go for the more... er, substantial girls. But obviously this just illustrates perfectly how varied tastes and preferences are. Lucky there's such a variation, eh ;)
    Sizes.jpg

Couldnt find a chart so i made one...i know i have too much free time!
    I don't know if she is a zero. I was just watching an old episode of the OC and her Mom said she was a zero (Marissa).

I went to the clothes show last year and I was pleased with the models they had on the catwalk, most of them looked really healthy, not bony or size 0 at all.

Guys all like different things, thankfully. Same as women. I don't like skinny guys, I'd much rather a well built or large guy than one who feels all bony when you hug him. And would not want to be with a guy who is smaller than me, how can I nick his clothes then?

I know my chap likes a woman with curves, he said he's worried I'm going to lose my curves now I'm working out and cutting out chocolate. Not much chance of that.
    anyone gonna watch the documentary with louise nurding tonight?
    Littleali wrote: »
    anyone gonna watch the documentary with louise nurding tonight?

:yes: I love all programs to do with diet and health. 1/2 tonne man, you are what you eat, body shock baby with 2 heads ..lol.. I love it all.
    The BEST BEST BEST one was about Prader-Willi Syndrome.
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    We have a ranter who's told us exactly what she thinks of the size 0 craze if you'd like to have a read...

From hero to size zero
    From a male point of view, I like both.

I like curvier girls a lot , but I also really find size 4/6 girls sexy.

I cant understand people who say all size 0 girls are mal-nurished.

Look at the picture of crystal tipps on the early pages of this thread, she looks fucking amazing.
    I don't like to see peoples bones sticking out and at that size that is what i see.
    So who watched the programme?

I actually thought Louise looked ok as a 0, she's naturally tiny anyway, but she also looked fine before.

Why try to force your body into an unnatural state? (it's clearly unnatural when she is only eating 800 calories a day and over-exercising)
    I thought she looked awful as a size 0.

I'm not talking about her figure. I'm talking about how ill the dieting made her look. I mean, she looked pale, tired, etc.

Was a good programme to watch though.
    She has a tiny frame, so I doubt it would have looked too bad on her had she gained muscle weight and loss excess fat to look leaner, with no changes to a healthy diet. The crash diet part of it made her so ill, losing 5lbs of muscle must have really taken its toll on her metabolism.

It was interesting to note what she said about being a size 8 though. A few years ago, it was seen as more unusual. I remember there being a magazine article a while back where the feature said that 4 women were in the 'size 8 club' and they talked about clothing, comments from other people etc.
    katchika wrote: »
    So who watched the programme?

I did.

She looked OK, but you could see it in her face she was unhealthy, she was paler, she said herself her hair wasn't as good, she had huge bags under her eyes... Her body looked OK I suppose, in clothes, but she wore things quite baggy on her, but I dread to think how bony she was underneath :no:
    Yeah i watched it and she looked boney and ill.
    Strangely enough Louise had the exact same stats as me before she started the diet (except her boobs were a cup bigger). I thought she looked awful at the end of it - she had lost her hips and boobs and just looked way too skinny. I know if I went down to that weight I'd look awful.
    Does anyone else think it's become fashionable for blokes to say "I prefer curvy women?" I mean, I don't doubt that many men do, but it seems to me that you don't hear many men actually saying that they prefer slim women any more, yet when you go out on a night out, they still tend to be the girls that get the most attention. It seems like it's kinda taboo to say it because of all this Size 0, making girls feel bad about their bodies thing. Personally, I tend to find slim girls more attractive (with the exception of the deliciously curvy Scarlett Johansson), though slim in the naturally petite sense, rather than slim in the starved yourself to death sense. I don't know whether that rules out size 0 or not, because it seems to me that size 0 is naturally slim girls who've slimmed down even further, rather than anyone naturally being that size.
    Does anyone else think it's become fashionable for blokes to say "I prefer curvy women?" I mean, I don't doubt that many men do, but it seems to me that you don't hear many men actually saying that they prefer slim women any more, yet when you go out on a night out, they still tend to be the girls that get the most attention. It seems like it's kinda taboo to say it because of all this Size 0, making girls feel bad about their bodies thing. Personally, I tend to find slim girls more attractive (with the exception of the deliciously curvy Scarlett Johansson), though slim in the naturally petite sense, rather than slim in the starved yourself to death sense. I don't know whether that rules out size 0 or not, because it seems to me that size 0 is naturally slim girls who've slimmed down even further, rather than anyone naturally being that size.
    When men say curvy they actually mean fuller boobs, round bum but still a size 10 waist etc
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    When men say curvy they actually mean fuller boobs, round bum but still a size 10 waist etc

Oh I know men and women's definition of curvy usually differs quite a bit. But even so, whenever I go out, its the girls with a petite figure, slim hips and small boobs that get the most attention. Might be because they're the ones I'm looking at most though. :p
    VinylVicky wrote: »

Exactly. They mean like Kelly Brook curvy, which tbh, for most women is even more unnattainable than being a size 4 - without surgery anyway.
    lipsy wrote: »
    Thats the thing though, its difficult to judge because I'm a 6/8 yet I'm 8stone whereas you're only 7stone. If I was 7stone though I'd looking really ill. So its the shop sizing really. I know a few years ago before shops started fuckin their sizes up to make poeple buy their clothes that I was an 8/10.

Yes exactly...

What I'm saying is, I know my BMI is classed as dangerously underweight... It's 17 and a bit or just a bit less (depending what day I weigh myself)... So if I'm 'dangerously underweight' and a size 8/10... then someone who is a size 4 must be even tinier than I am... or the sizing of the shops is wonko.

I'd be interested to know what the actual measurements of the clothes are that the people who are size 4 on this thread... Cos I'm sure that sizing must change from town to town... Maybe the big cities have bigger sizes or something? :chin:

I think there's size 4 and then there's size 4;
    The actual size 4 that's causing all the fuss is the size all these super-skinny models fit into...
    and then there's thesize 4 that shops used to call size 6 and want people to feel like they're 'fashionable'... I reckon anyway.
    There just isn't any consistancy.
    Exactly. They mean like Kelly Brook curvy, which tbh, for most women is even more unnattainable than being a size 4 - without surgery anyway.

:yes: You always get the size 14+ saying how men prefer curves. But then when you look at all the women in men's mags and on page 3 they're all size8-10 but with a nice arse and big boobs (fake or not). They all have flat tummies and they're all toned.

The best thing is to eat healthily (most of the time :p) and do some exercise and whatever size you are natually, men will like you for it. Its bad to crash diet and its equally bad to eat loads of junk.
    For all those saying she looked ok - did you see her spine when she turned around in that dress? She didn't look too shocking as she's tiny anyway but she looked ill.
    Amira wrote: »
    Sizes.jpg

Couldnt find a chart so i made one...i know i have too much free time!

I always thought that European 38 was 10, not 6....