Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jordy wrote: »
    Will life ever get easier?

Yes, it does get better, and the things that hurt you now will fade and be less painful.

x
  • Options
    I'm up and donwn like a yoyo, when is this ever going to end?
  • Options
    I'm up and down like a yoyo, when is this ever going to end? I had the best day ever and then suddenly I want to cry, an hour later I'm laughing my head off and now all I want to do is S.H., only thing stopping me is that my boyfriend is in the room asleep. Wish it could all just go away and I could stop wallowing in my own self pity which is all I must be doing coz I've really got no reason to feel like this, I must sound so selfish. Sorry about the long moan.
  • Options
    *hugs*

Do you have something you can do to distract yourself from SH and thoughts of SH? It might be a lame idea, but it kinda workes for ally mcbeal- get yourself a happy upbeat theme tune and hum/sing/think it to yourself when you feel down.

x
  • Options
    Anyone else find that self harm is f**king up their relationships with people or is that just me?:(
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Anyone else find that self harm is f**king up their relationships with people or is that just me?:(

NOt the case with me, as nobody knows. But i do tend to screw things up myself by being distant.

Hope you're ok

x x
  • Options
    Why won't this just end? I hate feeling like this. How stupid.
  • Options
    Liv wrote: »
    Why won't this just end? I hate feeling like this. How stupid.

Hang on in there sweetie. Tommorrow may be better than today.

x x x
  • Options
    I've been telling myself that for ages now, why can't I just live for today though? I don't see and end, I just can't cope. I so want to be happy.
  • Options
    jordy wrote: »
    NOt the case with me, as nobody knows. But i do tend to screw things up myself by being distant.

Hope you're ok

x x

:(

I'm really not alright now - one minute he's telling me he can't stay away from me and the next all he wants to do is block me on MSN.:confused:

Asked him for something earlier (via email) and he basically told me that I've got to stop being selfish but I don't know what he means by that and I know he won't tell me.:(
  • Options

Yes in a word. It's made my OH have a different perspective almost of me I think. When I feel down- bascially a cry for help if I mention it- he says I'm emorionally blackmailing him.
  • Options
    I'm surprised that my 'friend' hasn't said that to me yet...
  • Options
    thats just wrong
  • Options
    thats just wrong

Not necessarily- he doesn't really understnad SH or depression like a sufferer would I guess.
  • Options
    Have you given him any articles/tried explaining to him what's going on?
  • Options
    Have you given him any articles/tried explaining to him what's going on?

Not really tbh, I have a few reasons for that, but mainly I find it very hard to open up sometimes, and to talk about it or explain it as I feel so ashamed.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote: »
    Not necessarily- he doesn't really understnad SH or depression like a sufferer would I guess.

Its your way of coping though-if he went out and got smashed when he was annoyed or did something it would be the same thing-its just a different method that is seen as wrong-ok i know its not perfect and i hate having to rely on it myself but what gives him the right to judge how you cope and condem you cos its not right in his eyes
  • Options

I agree, my ex didnt understand at all why I did it and refused to listen to me when I tried explaining things to him so I gave up confiding in him. If they have no experience of it they can accuse you of all sorts (trying to kill yourself was one of his favourites).

Sofie: You can only explain so far and for so long to someone, if their still not understanding after all this time, I would fail to see the point to keep doing it ans wasting my time when I know it not going to make a blind bit of difference.

Hyper person: Apart from various people on here, hardly anyone knows I SH, and that the way I want to keep it. My parents still dont after about six years or so and I have no desire for them to find out.
  • Options
    It's not because it's not right in his eyes, he doesn't understand why or how I can od it to myself.
  • Options
    If they have no experience of it they can accuse you of all sorts (trying to kill yourself was one of his favourites).

totally agree, I havent had the trying to kill yourself one from anyone though.
  • Options
    It's not because it's not right in his eyes, he doesn't understand why or how I can od it to myself.

sorry just gets to me at times and ive had that myself and do understand where there coming from sorry
  • Options
    sorry just gets to me at times and ive had that myself and do understand where there coming from sorry

It's ok, you have nothing to apologise for anyway :)
  • Options
    totally agree, I havent had the trying to kill yourself one from anyone though.

To be fair, he was a complete utter twat and had no understanding of empathy and other peoples feelings. It still pisses me off after all this time. Oh well he'll be out of my life forever soon (hopefully)
  • Options
    sorry-just fed up with everyone having ago about me harmin-makin me be secretive about it again and harmin gettin worse-very touchy at the moment
  • Options
    Hi peeps

Reading the way that people react to SH has really wound me up. Nobody has any right to judge you on the way that you deal with problems, as long as you're not harming them or anyone else in the process. I think that SH is widely misunderstood though. A lot of people see it as a 'cry for help' or a 'failed suicide attempt' when actually it's just a way of dealing with pain or stress for sufferers.

Turning mental pain into physical pain makes it so much easier to deal with. Watching the bloody drip out can be like watching the pain drip away. That sounds fucked up though to people that don't SH.

I don't think that they mean to be judgemental, but they do find it hard to deal with. They worry about the sufferer and want to help; when they realise that there is nothing that they can do to help, they often resort to guilt-trips or blackmail.

From my own experience though, it really is because they care and they just don't know what to do with the information. They need to try and distance themselves from the problem whilst trying to stop the harming continuing.

I seem to have got over my SH phase again for a while. Presently battling the urge to throw up everything that I eat though. Seems to be slightly better today but yesterday was just a constant fight with myself.

I don't understand it. My life seems to be back on track. I'm out of the shit job and doing supply and everything is less stressful. I started training yesterday for the Moonwalk that I'm doing in May so feel really good about myself.

Why why why do I want to undo all this good work by going down the bulimia road again? Do I just thrive on having a 'problem'? Is that what defines me? Am I scared of being happy? Am I concerned about what a boring fucking life I would have if I didn't have some problem or other to focus on all of the time? What kind of a person am I that I need something like this to keep me going?

I'm sick of looking in the mirror and hating the person that I see there. I want to like myself. I want to stop stressing over every little thing. I want to stop having a problem.
  • Options
    nothing is ever easy is it-its hard to like yourself but you can do it and if you want to talk just PM me and yeah ill get back to you

take care
  • Options
    Thanks hyper. I just needed to get that all out of my system. I was going to post last night but then my other half came upstairs and I didn't want him to see. He knows that I have these problems but he thinks that they just occur occasionally .... as he only knows about things when they get really bad.

I just assumed that when I reached my late twenties that my life would be sorted out and I'd be settled and happy. As it is, my life is sorted out and I'm pretty much settled. It's just the happy thing that's causing me problems. I just wish that I could pinpoint what the problem is.

If only it were that easy, eh?

Hope that things are getting better for you. xxx
  • Options
    i know you might not be ready and you might be scared but could it be a good idea to let your other half know how your feeling-it may help-only a suggestion and i know i cant talk really cos im secretive bout mine but yeah its only an idea
  • Options
    So can't be bothered with anything today, I don't want to see anyone, don't want to go to lectures....what' s the point in that? Wish I could make all this stop. Sorry probably not making any sense.
  • Options
    I'm seriously worried now - went to bed last night (admittedly it was after a few harsh emails) and all I wanted to do was slash my wrists.:(