Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Woman who put cat in washing machine escapes jail

A woman who killed her boyfriend's cat by putting it in a washing machine has received a four-month suspended jail sentence.
Diane Hannon, 42, from Old Colwyn, Conwy, admitted causing unnecessary suffering and cruelly ill-treating six-year-old Paws, who was deaf.

Paws suffered a heart attack, severe burns and loss of fur.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6331411.stm

As far as I'm concerned it takes a special kind of cunt to do such a thing. Whether it should be jail or a mental institution I'm not sure, but anyone who does that should be sent inside. Someone so twisted cannot be safe to have around...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are certain situations where the punishment should fit the crime, she should be put in a washing machine for the same amount of time as Paws.
  • Options
    that's awful

she should definately have done time

in my opinion, anyone who does something like that to a helpless animal is scum
  • Options
    If anyone did that to my cat, I'd kill them.
  • Options
    Are you guys being serious or is this a humourous thread?

I swatted a fly last night, I expect the cops are on the way now............

I like the way they fell it necessary to tell us that the cat was deaf, presumably to increase the sympathy for the poor fluffy beast, ahhhhhh isn't it sad? Maybe you are all 8 year old girls in reality, you never can tell on the internet.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »

So there is no ethical difference between killing a fly (quickly) and torturing a cat?
  • Options

I like the way they fell it necessary to tell us that the cat was deaf, presumably to increase the sympathy for the poor fluffy beast, ahhhhhh isn't it sad? Maybe you are all 8 year old girls in reality, you never can tell on the internet.......

Are you completely unmoved by this cruelty? Do you think a fly has the same perception of fear that a mammal has?
  • Options
    I couldn't give a fuck.

Advocating serious jail time for being mean to a cat is lunacy.

Hippies.....
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    So there is no ethical difference between killing a fly (quickly) and torturing a cat?

Well if you are valuing animal life then killing the fly is obviously worse than torturing the cat unless you have some sensible way to explain why we should value a cat and not a fly?
  • Options
    Well if you are valuing animal life then killing the fly is obviously worse than torturing the cat unless you have some sensible way to explain why we should value a cat and not a fly?

The cat died too, by the way ... the woman wasn't just 'being mean'.

I presume that you have never had a pet yourself and/or don't particularly like animals?
  • Options

Of course they're being serious. Are you?

I don't really think there was any need to increase the sympathy felt as it makes no difference to the cruelty inflicted; but if the cat was missing one of its [most vital] senses then it does say even more about the moral fibre of the woman concerned imo.

This woman had no qualms about torturing a cat as a release for her rage (or "depression") and who's to say she wouldn't have instead tortured her boyfriend if she'd considered herself physically able to -- and that she'd get away with it. It is reprehensible to act out vengance against another human being by torturing an animal, she must be seriously unglued.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    ... she must be seriously unglued.

And you too, Toadborg, for not seeing that? :confused:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    And you too, Toadborg, for not seeing that? :confused:

You a Psychologist are you?

and nice to see that people believe that the mentally ill should be punished for their ways, less sympathy for humans than for dumb animals?

Like I said what would be the precise legal way of defining why torturing a cat is worse than killing a fly?

I don't agree with wanton animal cruelty, but the idea that the state should inflict serious punishment to the degree of incarcerating someone for animal cruelty is quite plainly ridiculous, the prisons would be full of chefs who have cooked lobster, and presumably by extension those who have eaten it as well..........
  • Options

Well, for a start given both died I presume you can see the benefit of the quick death for the fly?

Secondly, cats can percieve fear, and understand what is happening to them, unlike the fly.

Thirdly, if this cat was the pet of the woman then the cat would see the woman as its parent, and although its going a bit too far to think that the cat felt betrayal, there is enough going on in the head of the cat to know this isnt right.

If I understand you right, torturing animals is perfectly fine, does this mean anything other than a human is ripe for the washing machine treatment?
  • Options
    the prisons would be full of chefs who have cooked lobster, and presumably by extension those who have eaten it as well..........

If you freeze them first (as virtually all restaurants do these days) they dont wake up in time to feel the pain, and therefore have a humane exit.
  • Options
    You are being deliberately obtuse, Toadborg. There is a world of difference between swatting a fly and putting a cat in a washing machine, despite being vegetarian I can see there is a world of difference between cooking a lobster and putting a cat in a washing machine.

Yes the practises used to cook some meat and seafood are not great, I don't like them at all. But the [huge, huge] difference is that this woman plucked this cat from its bed or wherever it was sitting [probably licking its own arse and minding its own business], popped it into the washing machine and put it to certain death as a direct result of being pissed off with her boyfriend. She not only decided it was ok to inflict huge trauma and pain on an animal to release her own anger, but she did it with the sole intention of devastating her boyfriend. That is fucking horrible. She punished a cat as a result of her grievances in her relationship, and anyone who does that is probably on quite a slippery slope.

She needs help, indeed, and I hope she gets it... but I'll be damned if I;m going to profess to having any sympathy for her.
  • Options
    Thirdly, if this cat was the pet of the woman then the cat would see the woman as its parent, and although its going a bit too far to think that the cat felt betrayal, there is enough going on in the head of the cat to know this isnt right.

So this act is a crime because the cat felt 'betrayed'?

This must be a comedy thread, you aren't serious?

Are you?
  • Options
    You a Psychologist are you?

I might be - but that's irrelevant.
    and nice to see that people believe that the mentally ill should be punished for their ways, less sympathy for humans than for dumb animals?

Are YOU the psychologist now? Where does the story say she IS mentally ill?
    Like I said what would be the precise legal way of defining why torturing a cat is worse than killing a fly??

You know the two are completely different. But if you feel that there ought not to be a differentiation, try and get the law changed. At the moment, that cat IS protected by law. Cats have many of the same emotions and senses as humans - affection, fear, etc. A fly does not.
    I don't agree with wanton animal cruelty, but the idea that the state should inflict serious punishment to the degree of incarcerating someone for animal cruelty is quite plainly ridiculous, the prisons would be full of chefs who have cooked lobster, and presumably by extension those who have eaten it as well..........

Personally, I feel lobsters ought not to be boiled alive ...
  • Options
    You are being deliberately obtuse, Toadborg. There is a world of difference between swatting a fly and putting a cat in a washing machine, despite being vegetarian I can see there is a world of difference between cooking a lobster and putting a cat in a washing machine.

Yes the practises used to cook some meat and seafood are not great, I don't like them at all. But the [huge, huge] difference is that this woman plucked this cat from its bed or wherever it was sitting [probably licking its own arse and minding its own business], popped it into the washing machine and put it to certain death as a direct result of being pissed off with her boyfriend. She not only decided it was ok to inflict huge trauma and pain on an animal to release her own anger, but she did it with the sole intention of devastating her boyfriend. That is fucking horrible. She punished a cat as a result of her grievances in her relationship, and anyone who does that is probably on quite a slippery slope.

She needs help, indeed, and I hope she gets it... but I'll be damned if I;m going to profess to having any sympathy for her.

I'm not saying that this was not a cruel act, what I am saying is that i would never consider sending this woman to prison for it.

I assume everyone would agree that the woman was cruel, the purpose of the thread ( I assume) was to discuss the view by the thread creator that this woman should be sent to prison......
  • Options
    I couldn't give a fuck.

Advocating serious jail time for being mean to a cat is lunacy.

Hippies.....

Seriously, if you harmed my cat I would kill you.

People invest lots of emotion in their animals. If you can't understand that, you must be dead inside somewhere.
  • Options
    So this act is a crime because the cat felt 'betrayed'?

Nice to see you didnt read even the small section of my post you quoted.

But, given you didnt seem to understand it the first time I will explain. Because of the way we treat cats, feeding them, stroking them, looking after them, cutting their nuts off.... they are basically large kittens all their life, and as the provider of strokes and food we are their parents.
  • Options

Are you being serious? You really can't understand that people invest emotionally in pets? :eek:
  • Options

Are YOU the psychologist now? Where does the story say she IS mentally ill?

Under your assumptions, not mine: Obviously.......
    You know the two are completely different. But if you feel that there ought not to be a differentiation, try and get the law changed. At the moment, that cat IS protected by law. Cats have many of the same emotions and senses as humans - affection, fear, etc. A fly does not.

So it rests on whether the animal has any 'human' emotions?

What about rats, should we be allowed to exterminate them?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Seriously, if you harmed my cat I would kill you.

Thats because you are a nutter, you didn't need to tell me that, I have realised it for some time......
  • Options
    What about rats, should we be allowed to exterminate them?

Rats, unlike cats spread disease. And modern poison is actually reasonably humane (more humane as it happens than the lethal injection in the US).
  • Options
    The initial sentiment was that she should be incarcerated in one way or another - either in prison or a secure unit.

I totally agree, though I'd opt for the latter. Hopefully the review of her mental health will obligate her to undergo some kind of rehabilitation as she should not be allowed to just walk away from this (and no, public derision isn't enough of a punishment, though I'm sure she'll experience her share of that).
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Are you being serious? You really can't understand that people invest emotionally in pets? :eek:

So the person whould be punished because of the emotional harm done to the owner, not the physical harm done to the animal?

So if the cat had been a stray, the act would not be a crime?

So the fact that the cat is 'property' is what matters?

(doesn't sound very Marxist to me :chin: )
  • Options
    Rats, unlike cats spread disease. And modern poison is actually reasonably humane (more humane as it happens than the lethal injection in the US).

What if they didn't spread disease, but my house was infested with them and the only method available to kill them would cause the rats serious pain?
  • Options
    The initial sentiment was that she should be incarcerated in one way or another - either in prison or a secure unit.

I totally agree, though I'd opt for the latter. Hopefully the review of her mental health will obligate her to undergo some kind of rehabilitation as she should not be allowed to just walk away from this (and no, public derision isn't enough of a punishment, though I'm sure she'll experience her share of that).

So animal cruelty should get you locked up under the presumption of some kind of mental illness?

I sure hope people like you never get into power in anyway, makes you lokk more favourably on the current politicians really.......
  • Options
    Thats because you are a nutter, you didn't need to tell me that, I have realised it for some time......

You seriously can't see that people have huge emotional attachments to their pets? :eek:

Me and my partner don't have children. We have a cat and the emotions that we transfer onto our cat are similar to ones we might have for our children if we had any. Basic human psychology. For you not to understand that, makes me think you're either (a) being deliberatly obtuse for the sake of an argument and that you do understand it or (b) that you're emotionally quite seriously damaged in some way or (c) you have a lot of growing up to do.
  • Options
    So if the cat had been a stray, the act would not be a crime?

No - the law applies to ANY animal cruelty like this ... not just to those with owners.