Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smoke Free by 2007 July

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:
    I can only assume that either non-smokers have a gross penchant for hyperbole [likely] or that they must have really sensitive noses, very porous hair and wear extremely porous clothing. I smoked heavily for years and years, don't at the moment and have not found any of these supposed greatly upsetting issues to trouble me on nights out, but whatev, it's a non-issue now anyway.

Well a smoker isn't very likely to smell their own fug, is (s)he?

I can tell when someone's been smoking because they absolutely stink, and I can tell when I've been in a smoky room because I stink too.

Similarly, I can hear my wife whistling from her asthma when we've been in very smoky rooms (and she barely has asthma now).

But none of that matters, does it? Just so long as the smokers can chuff away on their cheap ciggies, the rest of the world can go fuck itself, yeah?

And if its "wah wah wahcakes" to complain about having to carry someone home because they're having an asthma attack, then I'm just a whingeing selfish Nazi aren't I? How dares I not want to sit in someone else's foul-smelling poisonous cancer cloud?

Not that I care what people pump into their lungs (they can all go sniff car exhausts and gas flues as far as I'm concerned) so long as I don't have to smell it if I want a pint out in town. The compromise of having smoking rooms would be fine, its a shame the Government didn't choose that, but hey ho, for 85% of the population this ban will be a benefit.
    pubs and restaurants are private places and smoking policies should be decided by their owners.

Should all policies be decided by their owners, or just the ones where you think that the owners will side with a minority because no business can afford to turf out 14% of its customers to a rival?

Should pubs be allowed to decide whether, say, women or black people are allowed in? Their pub, their rules, after all. Or is that different? :lol:

A compromise would have been better (and its a compromise that I've favoured since the year dot), but Scottish pubs are still doing a roaring trade, so are Irish pubs. Pubs are going out of business because they're undercut by the supermarkets on branded lager and they offer nothing else; good pubs which offer things you can't get at home (like cask ale, plasma screen football and good food) will trundle along as normal.

Enforcing the ban will be quite easy- pubs which don't comply will have their licences revoked.

It is about rights, but its also about responsibilities, and smokers bleat on forever about their "rights" without ever stopping to give a flying fuck about the effect of their habit on others. Barely 15% of the population smoke, and its getting smaller every year, but its fine to impose smoking on the majority because its your "right" to do so.

Thunderstruck, I did read the rest of it, ta muchly, and I've yet to see a 100% conclusive science report on anything. But the ifs and buts seem pretty damn conclusive to me, and I hate to say this, but I'm inclined to believe a leading Cancer charity ahead of some bloke on a website saying that smoking's great and it doesn't hurt anyone. The same cancer-causing chemicals that go into the smoker go into the atmosphere of a pub and I don't think its a huge leap of faith to say that breathing in those chemicals won't exactly give people another ten years of life.
  • Options
    Er, but I said I haven't been smoking and I still haven't experienced the disastrous effects that seem to overcome everyone else and their dog as soon as someone lights up. I'm unsure as to what this "fug" (?) you mention actually is, I can only assume you're saying that I smell which I think is a little playground of you :p

You are probably right that some smokers really really really don't give a flying fuck about the bleatings of non-smokers; a wild stab in the dark would be that that's what years of being hen-pecked and pitied for your perceived weaknesses and bad habits will do to a person. It is probably worth mentioning [for the millionth time] that the vast majority of smokers do so with great consideration for their non-smoking fellow drinkers etc, but of course this is a fact very rarely even acknowledged and never, ever remembered when this ole debate trundles around again.

Also yet to discover any of these supposed clouds of smoke that seemingly chase non-smokers around the room like Wylie Coyote. I think anyone with any sense would have favoured compromise over a ban, but it really is a moot point now and I can't be arsed to argue pointlessly while hearing endless clamour about how stupid and selfish smokers are. Life's too short... especially if you're a snout-fiend or are an innocent victim of a plume of smoke
  • Options
    It depends on what you mean by consideration, though, doesn't it? It doesn't matter how careful a smoker is, smoke doesn't just neatly sit around their head and leave everyone else alone.

Smokers get used to the smell of smoke...I never had any reaction to the smell of smoke when I lived with my mum (who's a smoker) but now smoke sets me off sneezing.

Smokers smell of smoke...sorry to break that to you!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Thunderstruck, I did read the rest of it, ta muchly, and I've yet to see a 100% conclusive science report on anything. But the ifs and buts seem pretty damn conclusive to me, and I hate to say this, but I'm inclined to believe a leading Cancer charity ahead of some bloke on a website saying that smoking's great and it doesn't hurt anyone. The same cancer-causing chemicals that go into the smoker go into the atmosphere of a pub and I don't think its a huge leap of faith to say that breathing in those chemicals won't exactly give people another ten years of life.

Well, generally things aren't considered true until they've been proved. Since no link between passive smoking and any of the nasty smoke-related things has been 100% proved, we must dismiss it.

If any conclusive proof comes along, I will hold my hands up and say that I'm wrong.

Of course smoking hurts people. It hurts the people smoking and the passive smoke may also but until it's proved, we cannot believe anyone - be it a leading cancer charity (who perhaps have a certain agenda?) or someone who is against the anti-smoking witchunt like me.

A leap of faith equates to an assumption and assumptions aren't great to be going on with when it comes to debating.

Who knows, passive smoking may be dangerous but probably no more so than travelling on the tube, standing near a BBQ, living in a big city, going to the airport or any other environment where you're inhaling all sorts of noxious chemicals. Until they prove anything, saying what you're saying merely goes to highlight the kind of shit that honest decent smokers like myself have to put up with.
  • Options
    Well, generally things aren't considered true until they've been proved. Since no link between passive smoking and any of the nasty smoke-related things has been 100% proved, we must dismiss it.

Very little has been proved 100%, because 100% proof is almost impossible. It's a fairly safe assumption though.

*shrug*

I'm just looking forward to not having to breathe in everyone else's smoke when I go out.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    My sweat even starts to smell smokey. :yuck:

And my girlfriend complains of my smokey cum aswell. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    When I used to come in after a night out, my clothes all reeked of smoke and stale alcopops.

Now the smoking ban is in up here, they just reek of stale alcopops :D

Seriously though, it's hardly a hardship having to nip outside for a fag, and that's coming from a social smoker. It really is so much more pleasant for everybody else, if they let people smoke inside again then I"d probably end up being sick.

End of the day if you want to smoke when you're out, then for about nine months of the year you'll maybe get a bit cold and wet, and for the rest of the year there's beer gardens.

It's hardly Nazi Germany now, is it?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Similarly, I can hear my wife whistling from her asthma when we've been in very smoky rooms (and she barely has asthma now).

So? If she's sensitive to smoke she should avoid smoky pubs. Why should pubs have an obligation to make your wife comfortable?
    Kermit wrote:
    But none of that matters, does it? Just so long as the smokers can chuff away on their cheap ciggies, the rest of the world can go fuck itself, yeah?

Cigarettes aren't cheap. If I bought my favoured Dunhill Internationals or Lucky Strikes in Britain they'd cost over a fiver a pack. And if pubs and restaurants want to voluntarily ban smoking I have no objection. If they don't, you should have the decency (and tolerance) to respect their choice.
    Kermit wrote:
    How dares I not want to sit in someone else's foul-smelling poisonous cancer cloud?

Hey, you choose to enter smoky environments. Everyone knows people in smokes in pubs - it's an ancient tradition, people have smoked in pubs since time immemorial.
    Kermit wrote:
    The compromise of having smoking rooms would be fine, its a shame the Government didn't choose that

Indeed. I objected to any change to the status quo but I would have accepted separate areas for smokers as a compromise.
    Kermit wrote:
    Should pubs be allowed to decide whether, say, women or black people are allowed in? Their pub, their rules, after all. Or is that different? :lol:

There already exist places banned to women; they're called working mens clubs (and some of the gentlemen's clubs in London also do not allow women to hold membership). I can't really see the problem. Having been to a working mens club on a recent trip up north I can't really see why anybody (let alone a woman) would want to join tbh.

As for if a pub banned black people, if the owner wanted to - it's their private business so I in principle wouldn't object. Although, like any decent person I would choose to boycott such an establishment. And I'd guess it would go bust very quickly. (Anyway banning smokers seems an equivalent level of intolerance to banning black people).
    Kermit wrote:
    but Scottish pubs are still doing a roaring trade, so are Irish pubs.

Not true. In Scotland at least there's been a noticeable decline in trade.
    Kermit wrote:
    Barely 15% of the population smoke, and its getting smaller every year

I don't believe it's that low. It's certainly much higher than 15% in the people that actually go to pubs.
    Bri-namite wrote:
    It's hardly Nazi Germany now, is it?

The Nazis invented smoking bans. (Part of the reason why our German friends consistently refuse to go for outright smoking bans).
    Well said Dis.

Thanks. I'm glad we agree. I keep meaning to join Forest and I'm going to now. It might not make a lot of difference but at least someone is standing up for common sense.

Btw, is the smoking ban going to include private rooms in halls of residence at uni?
  • Options
    Btw, is the smoking ban going to include private rooms in halls of residence at uni?

Don't see why not, it's not a public area.

I think smokers will be very cautious about this move but trust me, it'll be worth it. People don't go to pubs to smoke, they go to drink. Sure some people might stop going altogether in protest but people will still go even if it means have a ciggie outside. A clean atmosphere isn't actually all that bad plus you get to meet other smokers outside who'd otherwise be sitting at the other side of the pub.
  • Options
    Your arguments are pointless because the ban IS going ahead whether smokers like it or not.

There's a non smoking pub in Brum that does very well, considering only around 1/4 of people smoke I can't see why places should lose loads of business. In fact it could well encourage more non smokers and people with conditions like asthma to go out.
  • Options
    I take your point Yerascrote and I realise you're more familiar with it but from what I saw in Italy when I was there I didn't like it...Basically I'm used to lighting up in pubs/clubs/cafes and really resent the government forcing these places into banning it.

The government is cunningly bringing the ban in during the summer (July I think) so by the time people actually notice the effects of the ban heading towards winter we'll have already had it a while. Btw, in Ireland have lots of places made an effort in outdoor spaces?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote:
    The government should stop trying to nanny people.

If i was a landlord and wanted to make my pub non snoking i should be allowed. If i loose customers, then tough shit!

If i want to make my pub a smoking venue then i should be allowed. If customers are put off by this rule and stop coming, then once again tough shit!

let the market decide where we can smoke and not the government!

:thumb:

That's the most sensible post in this thread. Give people a choice. This governments attitude of tax or ban anything 'bad' is crap.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Your arguments are pointless because the ban IS going ahead whether smokers like it or not.

And it's an injustice, whether it goes ahead or not it should be opposed.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    There's a non smoking pub in Brum that does very well

Great. My local allows smoking everywhere (even at the bar) and it does very well. What's your point?
    PussyKatty wrote:
    considering only around 1/4 of people smoke I can't see why places should lose loads of business.

Out of people that actually go to pubs it's a lot more than a 1/4. And anyway that's not really the point.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    In fact it could well encourage more non smokers and people with conditions like asthma to go out.

If that's the case why has there been a decline in trade north of the border? And if banning smoking makes business sense why do so few pubs ban smokers completely?

Ah fuck it, I'm heading to Berlin in March for three months. I won't come back.
  • Options
    Fair enough, smoking smells - I won't deny it. But sweat smelling of smoke and hair that needs to be washed twice is a bit excessive to say the least. Sorry.

Kermit wrote:
    Should all policies be decided by their owners, or just the ones where you think that the owners will side with a minority because no business can afford to turf out 14% of its customers to a rival?

Sorry just a technicality - but it's childish to assume that because 86% of the population are non-smokers, that the remaining 14% also make out the same percentage of costumers in pubs and clubs.
    Within those 86% you have children. Pubs and clubs do not exactly for this group of people, and I would therefore assume that the percentage of smokers in establishments like pubs and clubs are well-higher than 14% as in the rest of the population.
  • Options
    Btw, in Ireland have lots of places made an effort in outdoor spaces?

A lot of the pubs I were in were in the countryside so they already had beer gardens and such features. In Dublin a few places placed chairs and tables on the side of the road. Though in many cases it was just a case of standing out the back where all the kegs were stored lol.
  • Options
    Most the people I know welcome the ban. Ok I obviously don't know the whole country but my opinion is that it's a great thing that will improve my life.

I don't care about the pub business, maybe they should do special offers on food and drink to attract customers. Or offer entertainment. It's not my concern as I'm not a landlord or Mr Wetherspoon.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Most the people I know welcome the ban. Ok I obviously don't know the whole country but my opinion is that it's a great thing that will improve my life.

Well we don't. Which is why we're having this debate. It's our right to protest.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I don't care about the pub business, maybe they should do special offers on food and drink to attract customers. Or offer entertainment. It's not my concern as I'm not a landlord or Mr Wetherspoon.

Yeah, well, you see, unfortunately, a lot of people do care about the pub business, especially the publicans as they are the ones who are likely to be affected most by the ban. Most of them can't afford to have entertainment (which requires a licence) or have offers on food and drink.

Whilst you may not care, some people's livelihoods are on the line and, given the rate at which local rural pubs are shutting, I can't see the ban doing them much good at all.
    Ah fuck it, I'm heading to Berlin in March for three months. I won't come back.

:lol:

When people go to Germany to seek liberalism and an escape from oppression, you know something's up!
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Fair enough, smoking smells - I won't deny it. But sweat smelling of smoke and hair that needs to be washed twice is a bit excessive to say the least. Sorry.

And you point is what?

smoke is not perfume it's a cocktail of hundreds of different chemicals, ...people aren't just washing their selves to get rid of the smell but to also get rid of the chemicals from being absorbed in their bodies via their skin.

If smokers chewed on their cigarettes instead of lit them then there would be no problem. That way they could do all the things which increase their risk of getting cancer without affecting the people around them.

Chewing tobacco has been available forever, so Nicotine addicts already have an alternative way to get their fix ... :p

If anyone actually bothered to read the regulations of what is an enclosed space they'd know venues can build their way around the problem

Enclosed Space = areas which are roofed and where less than half of the wall space is open

I wish our Bus Shelters had at least 50% walls around them.
  • Options
    And you point is what?

My point is, that you have a physical problem or long overdue for a shower if your bodily odour gets that bad, or your hair is in such condition that it needs to be washed twice after smoke.

I am not denying the effects caused by smoking, merely the extent that some of you claim that they go.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Sorry just a technicality - but it's childish to assume that because 86% of the population are non-smokers, that the remaining 14% also make out the same percentage of costumers in pubs and clubs.
    Within those 86% you have children. Pubs and clubs do not exactly for this group of people, and I would therefore assume that the percentage of smokers in establishments like pubs and clubs are well-higher than 14% as in the rest of the population.
    And why do you think that is? ;)

Even my smoker friends tend to avoid those really smokey venues, where you can go in for 10 minutes and come out stinking of smoke.
  • Options
    Yeah, well, you see, unfortunately, a lot of people do care about the pub business, especially the publicans as they are the ones who are likely to be affected most by the ban. Most of them can't afford to have entertainment (which requires a licence) or have offers on food and drink.

Whilst you may not care, some people's livelihoods are on the line and, given the rate at which local rural pubs are shutting, I can't see the ban doing them much good at all.
    Adapt or go out of business. It's no different to any other piece of legislation. They are really exaggerating the amount of influence smoking has on thier business, as any industry does when new legislation is passed, that they fear may effect their profits. If any pub is going to go out of business solely because of the smoking ban, then I would put money on it already being on it's last legs anyway, or under pretty poor management. Already in my town over the past few years, I've seen a few pubs go out of business, or almost out of business, even in prominent places in the town centre. They tend to be ones that have not found alternative forms of income, such as food (perhaps due to a lack of an kitchen) when all of the competition. If these go out of business, it will be "the fault of the smoking ban" when in reality, they were going down the pan long before that. In the centre of a small town, I would put money on it that you will not find a business that prospers entirely because of it's alcohol sales. In fact, if you took all the pubs that serve food already, and asked them to choose between serving food and allowing smoking, as was suggested a while back, I guarantee you that 99% would pick food because it is infinitely more profitable and a much more stable business when you get it right.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    And my girlfriend complains of my smokey cum aswell. :rolleyes:
    Find a new one then.
  • Options
  • Options
    I've been told by a friend, who grew up in Africa, that in places where eating meat is very rare, we smell of meat, because we eat so much of it. Which I thought was weird until it occured to me that smokers think they don't smell awful.
  • Options
    :p
  • Options
  • Options
    Hit, I think I know what you mean but I think you'd better go back and edit that post because it could be misinterpreted.
    Okey dokie
  • Options

A pub that goes bust because of the smoking ban was on its last legs anyway.

Pubs that are going bust are ones that are not desirable pubs. Pubs that serve good quality real ale are thriving, and pubs that serve good food are thriving. The pubs that are struggling are the ones that don't sell things that can't be got at home for less- the pubs that are folding are the ones that serve nothing but Carling and nitrocrap, and the reason why they are folding is because Tesco will always be cheaper.

The smoking ban hasn't affected trade in Scotland (smoking's been banned for over a year there), and it hasn't affected trade in Ireland.

Tal, given that 86% of the population doesn't smoke, if that isn't reflected in the pub trade its because non-smokers are being driven out. I know several people who physically cannot go to the pub because the smoke will trigger a serious asthma attack. And quite often it only takes one person in a pub smoking a cheap ciggie to trigger that.
  • Options
    I've been burnt by "considerate smoker" friends and relatives waving tabs around in the pub before, not even mentioning the smoke, so that argument doesn't really wash.

It does when idiots say stuff like this:
    Sofie wrote:
    Does this mean that we're going to get even more inconsiderate people walking around town with their cigarettes down so low that they could easy burn a toddler? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    A pub that goes bust because of the smoking ban was on its last legs anyway.

Pubs that are going bust are ones that are not desirable pubs. Pubs that serve good quality real ale are thriving, and pubs that serve good food are thriving. The pubs that are struggling are the ones that don't sell things that can't be got at home for less- the pubs that are folding are the ones that serve nothing but Carling and nitrocrap, and the reason why they are folding is because Tesco will always be cheaper.

I very much doubt that. Most of them are going under because they are free houses, often in very rural communities and as soon as Messers Greene King or Whetherspoon arrive in town and undercut the local boozer, it's curtains. And thus the smoking ban is not going to help matters much more.

Oh and here's some more evidence to show that the anti-smoking witchunt surrounding passive smoking.

http://www.forestonline.org/output/Page16.asp