Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Choose your own cabinet!

Since the so-called "silly season" is starting in the media - though no one seems quite sure whether it's a reference to there being very little domestic political news, or to it being a reference to John Prescott running the country - I've decided to start a "silly season" thread. As Peter Snow used to say when playing with his swing-o-meter on Election nights, "this just a bit of fun, remember".

This was partly inspired by the "Tony Blair gets sacked. You get the job..." thread. Now, let's imagine that, due to circumstances, Tony Blair and the rest of the Cabinet have all resigned. Blair's gone back to California to find a lucrative job, whilst Prescott's gone back to playing croquet. You have been chosen as the new Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, and First Lord of the Treasury. Who would you choose from TheSite.org boards to put in your new cabinet?

I haven't listed every single Cabinet job in here - finding 23 different names would take forever, for God's sake - so these are just the main ones to play with. My choices...

Prime Minister: Stargalaxy
Deputy Prime Minister: Turlough
Chancellor of the Exchequer: Disillusioned
Foreign Secretary: Aladdin
Trade & Industry Secretary:
Home Secretary: Bongbudda
Health Secretary: Piccolo
Culture Secretary: Erm... can't think of anyone for this job!
Minister for Constitutional Affairs: Renzo
International Development Secretary: MoonRat
Education Secretary: Morrocan Roll
Minister for Communities & Local Government: **Helen**
Work & Pensions Secretary: Blagsta
Defence Secretary: Skive
Transport Secretary: Kermit
The Chief Whip: Jim V (to make sure we all behave ourselves, of course)

Over to you, and your choices. Give us a job... ;)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Home Secretary: Bongbudda

I cant decide whether thats an inspired or very dangerous choice. I'm not sure how I'd be with that much power to play with.
  • Options
    I should be Foreign Secretary, not Aladdin! I could sort out the world in a year! Hell, i am not even in the Cabinet you presented! Boooooooo to Stargalaxy!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I should be Foreign Secretary, not Aladdin! I could sort out the world in a year! Hell, i am not even in the Cabinet you presented! Boooooooo to Stargalaxy!
    I'm sure we can negotiate on that one.

As for Bongbudda, if you couldn't find a solution to the issue of drugs, I'm not sure anyone could. You can appoint LadyJade to work in the Home Office with you if you wanted. :p
    sophia wrote:
    Out of 16 posts you've chosen just three women, how very disappointing :p
    Choose your own cabinet, then! I wanted to put a lot more women in, but I really didn't know what jobs would have been best suited to the ones in question!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

I think that we should either force a leadership election, or form our own party...

Not that I'm bitter about being overlooked for the Health job or anything :angel:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Minister for Constitutional Affairs:

Proportional Repressentation it will be then ;)
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I think that's the point of the thread tbh, SG wants us all to choose our own cabinets if we were PM.
    See, this one gets it. And gets a job in the Cabinet at the same time. ;)
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Minister for Constitutional Affairs:

Proportional Repressentation it will be then ;)

You do know that the Tories would be in power if that was the case?
  • Options
    A few vacancies

Prime Minister: Well duh, that would be me.
    Deputy Prime Minister: Clandestine, always good to have someone you disagree with to act as your conscience.
    Chancellor of the Exchequer: Would be a mate in my Finance team, sorry guys but I'd have to have someone I trust with finances.
    Foreign Secretary: Aladdin, but working to the PM's plans, natch. Will let him break the US lapdog relationship though.
    Home Secretary: Kermit - now thatwould be funny
    Health Secretary: Me again, it's my area of expertise anyway - although I might let Goaway be my figurehead
    Culture Secretary: Surely drug culture secretary, in which case Mr R.
    International Development Secretary: Kentish, after his questions to the MP the other month
    Education Secretary: Blagsta's missus
    Minister for Communities & Local Government: klintock!
    Work & Pensions Secretary: If it wasn't for the drugs culture job, the clearly this would be a job for Mr R. Perhaps I should give him both...
    Defence Secretary: NQV
    The Chief Whip: Of course Jim V, he knows everything about us.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    You do know that the Tories would be in power if that was the case?

Of course if I was really in government we would have to reasess the logistics and compatablity of a new electoral system with the people of the country. We would have to figure out how to make a transition from a first past the post constituency based voting system to one of a national proportional representation system of voting. Of course all of this would take a considerable amount of time to finalise and a lot of money would have to be spent on educating the public as to how to use the new system. Of course, this would included a course in what parties not to vote for, namely her majesties* official opposition, the Conservative/New Labour party. In order to combat either of these possibilities becoming an actual reality it may be neccessery to ban any political party that may perform consitutional crimes against our country. This may lead to our party being the only party, but of course it will be the right party to lead the United Kingdom.

* Going back to the point about Her Magesty the Queen, of course the Royal Family will be abolished. The tax that goes into their upkeep can fund the costs of changing the voting system in this country to one of proportional reprsentation.

;)
  • Options
    Prime Minister (for life): NQA
    Deputy Prime Minister: Job dropped - because its a useless position
    Chancellor of the Exchequer: Toadborg (cos he's done economics)
    Foreign Secretary: Dis (yep we're following a hardline foreign policy)
    Trade & Industry Secretary: JimV (had to give him a job somewhere or risked being banned)
    Home Secretary: Bongbudda (the drugs debate should be interesting)
    Health Secretary: MoK (expertise)
    Culture Secretary: Aladdin (because I had to give hime something and DCMS isn't too damaging)
    Minister for Constitutional Affairs: klintock (once he's got over the fact country's exist he should settle in fine)
    International Development Secretary: Kentish (seems to have a vague idea on this)
    Education Secretary: Wheresmyplacebo (because spelling and grammar is off no improtance)
    Minister for Communities & Local Government: GWST (has worked in LG)
    Work & Pensions Secretary: Luke88 (for amusement value)
    Defence Secretary: Teh Gerbil (but we're not buying Russian kit, because its crap)
    Transport Secretary: Kermit (to sort out the railways)
    Secretary of state for Northern Ireland: Turlough (should be interesting trying to argue the case for the continuance of the Union in South Amargh)
    The Chief Whip: Blagsta (the site Rottweiler)
  • Options
    i propose abolishing all posts and creating one called "Emperor of the Known Universe, which would have to be me
  • Options
    Minister for Communities & Local Government: klintock!
    :D
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Culture Secretary: Aladdin (because I had to give hime something and DCMS isn't too damaging)
    Oh yeah? Brace yourself for a shakeup of censorship laws concerning TV and cinema that's going to give Daily Mail readers a heart attack :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Oh yeah? Brace yourself for a shakeup of censorship laws concerning TV and cinema that's going to give Daily Mail readers a heart attack :D
    You'd probably have the Daily Mail banned and its Kensington headquarters destroyed first! :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

That's fine :D

Swedish anal sluts on BBC2 perhaps?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Of course if I was really in government we would have to reasess the logistics and compatablity of a new electoral system with the people of the country. We would have to figure out how to make a transition from a first past the post constituency based voting system to one of a national proportional representation system of voting. Of course all of this would take a considerable amount of time to finalise and a lot of money would have to be spent on educating the public as to how to use the new system. Of course, this would included a course in what parties not to vote for, namely her majesties* official opposition, the Conservative/New Labour party. In order to combat either of these possibilities becoming an actual reality it may be neccessery to ban any political party that may perform consitutional crimes against our country. This may lead to our party being the only party, but of course it will be the right party to lead the United Kingdom.

* Going back to the point about Her Magesty the Queen, of course the Royal Family will be abolished. The tax that goes into their upkeep can fund the costs of changing the voting system in this country to one of proportional reprsentation.

;)

While I don't agree with the FPTP system then you have to consider the culture of the UK, which is completely class dominated, which probably means that PR would be difficult to impose.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Wow, just one woman in NQA's cabinet.
    What a bunch of sexists the P&D crowd appear to be :p
    Give us a cabinet with more women than men in it, then. :p
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind this cabinet for my garage...

40398Large.jpg
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Wow, just one woman in NQA's cabinet.

What a bunch of sexists the P&D crowd appear to be :p

Even luke gets in there over the female population of thesite, so disappointing :(

I appoint on competence not gender :razz: (oh and amusement value)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    On a more serious note most of my cabinet are people who tend to post in the same threads as I either post in or find interesting. Given that a fair bunch of those threads will be defence and foreign affairs it probably relates to a male bias in those areas
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    However I find it suspicious that you assume the P&D women (there are some of us here you know :p ) are less competent than the men. :impissed:
    We aren't. It doesn't help, however, that there seem to be fewer women than men in the P&D boards. Hence why I decided to extend it so you could choose anyone off the entire boards for your cabinet.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Yes that is true, and also, (and I did make the point originally in jest so although I think this is true I don't intend to start a massive row about it) in general, I find that in P&D threads, the men tend to argue with each other most of the time and often ignore the posts made by women. Not all the time, but it does happen frequently. Not just on forums either, but in political argument generally. Sigh.

Rest in the fact that most people discussing politics (forums and real life) are twats and don't deserve to be listened to. The same goes for the majority of people studying it at uni level :)