Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tories: We'll build more prisons

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    Yes, illegal criminals who commit any crime that merits prison. I think it's a good idea actually, one strike and you're out, lets remember it takes quite a lot to get to prison these days.

It doesn't take that much to go to prison. Shoplifting for example can result in a prison sentence. Would you deport someone for shoplifting?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It doesn't take that much to go to prison. Shoplifting for example can result in a prison sentence. Would you deport someone for shoplifting?

Illegal immigratns shouldn't be here in the first place, nevermind having the people to pay for their time in prison.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Agree with this one.

Regardless of circumstance? Seeing as you like hypothetical examples, here's one - a gay Jamaican man. Has a drug habit, living on the streets, pretty psychologically messed up because of his upbringing in Jamaica where gay men routinely get murdered. Shoplifts to get something to eat. Should he be deported back to Jamaica where he faces probable death for being gay?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Illegal immigratns shouldn't be here in the first place, nevermind having the people to pay for their time in prison.

So you'd send someone back to a country where they might get murdered, regardless of circumstance or crime committed?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you'd send someone back to a country where they might get murdered, regardless of circumstance or crime committed?
    Do you think the UK would have a moral obligation, or any other kind of obligation, to this Jamaican man, who shouldn't even be in the UK in the first place?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Do you think the UK would have a moral obligation, or any other kind of obligation, to this Jamaican man, who shouldn't even be in the UK in the first place?

Yes I think we do. Let's fill in some more back story - the man had applied for asylum in the UK because he was in fear of his life in Jamaica because of his sexuality. He was refused, so ended up on the streets. Still want to deport him?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

I would call someone like that an asylum seeker where by all means they are welcome to stay. However,most illegal immigrants aren't gay, drug addict Jamaicans. They're people from other countries who come here for a better way of life, if they're lucky enough to sneak in here and get a job, then they should be grateful. If they think they can go about committing crimes then they should go back to where they came from. Harsh but I think it's fair. They already broke the law once to get here, they should have more sense not to break it again.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I would call someone like that an asylum seeker where by all means they are welcome to stay. However,most illegal immigrants aren't gay, drug addict Jamaicans. They're people from other countries who come here for a better way of life, if they're lucky enough to sneak in here and get a job, then they should be grateful. If they think they can go about committing crimes then they should go back to where they came from. Harsh but I think it's fair. They already broke the law once to get here, they should have more sense not to break it again.

So what are you saying? That you'd send them all back regardless of circumstance? Or not?

and I'm ignoring your assertion about "most illegal immigrants" as i don't see how you can prove it one way or the other
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes I think we do. Let's fill in some more back story - the man had applied for asylum in the UK because he was in fear of his life in Jamaica because of his sexuality. He was refused, so ended up on the streets. Still want to deport him?
    Commited a crime did he? Send him straight back! That's the thanks he gave us.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I would call someone like that an asylum seeker where by all means they are welcome to stay.

Except they were refused, making them illegal.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Commited a crime did he? Send him straight back! That's the thanks he gave us.

So someone in fear of his life, living on the streets with mental health problems and a drug problem, you would send them back to face probable death? All heart you ain't ya?
  • Options
    Then I'd set up an institution whereby judges judge the case of each individual illegal. Whereby they'd assert whether it's safe or not safe to send them home.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Then I'd set up an institution whereby judges judge the case of each individual illegal. Whereby they'd assert whether it's safe or not safe to send them home.

So you agree with me then. :)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you agree with me then. :)
    If that's what you believe then yes. :)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So someone in fear of his life, living on the streets with mental health problems and a drug problem, you would send them back to face probable death? All heart you ain't ya?
    My heart is very cold indeed isn't it.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    My heart is very cold indeed isn't it.

Yep, cold as the grave.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    If that's what you believe then yes. :)

You know I'm always right.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    With that sort of attitude, I'm amazed you're not an MP. Breathtaking arrogance... the ability to never give a straight answer to any question... you're a Prime Minister in the making, Blagsta. :p
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No one should ever debate with you properly with that attitude.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    With that sort of attitude, I'm amazed you're not an MP. Breathtaking arrogance... the ability to never give a straight answer to any question... you're a Prime Minister in the making, Blagsta. :p

I see you're still unable to understand irony and sarcasm.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    No one should ever debate with you properly with that attitude.

Another one not noted for his ability to pick up on irony, sarcasm and humour.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Another one not noted for his ability to pick up on irony, sarcasm and humour.
    hahah well funny man... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    hahah well funny man... :rolleyes:

Do I have to put a smiley to explain my intention with every post?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I see you're still unable to understand irony and sarcasm.
    The chances of you being ironic when you state "you know I'm always right" are zero. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The chances of you being ironic when you state "you know I'm always right" are zero. :p

It does somewhat get on my tits that certain people on here need everything spelling out to them in great detail. They must be tough nuts to seduce.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It does somewhat get on my tits that certain people on here need everything spelling out to them in great detail. They must be tough nuts to seduce.
    Please, that's not what the P&D boards are for...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Please, that's not what the P&D boards are for...

Oh come on you tease, you love it really :heart:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Oh come on you tease, you love it really :heart:
    Oh Blagsta, I could never tear myself away from you...:p
  • Options
    Its like that book, Across the Barricades.

*swoons*
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I know, i regret it now but can't anyone see how he winds people up. Ok Blasgta here's an exmple... what would you do if...

a foreign national has been in the Uk for a few years illegally, rapes a young girl of 16.... what do we do with him?
    put him in prison, same rules as for people from this country.