Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tories: We'll build more prisons

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well what reason is there for them to behave in prison then though....

behaving behind bars
    exactly.
    the fact you can earn your way out of the place ...is the only thing that makes the place safe to live and work in.
    no rewards would mean utter chaos.
  • Options
    in terms of paedophilia, just label it as a mental illness, and thus if someone gets convicted of it they can be automatically sectioned until they're no longer a threat :thumb:
    Alright, how do you prove beyond doubt that a paedophile will never, ever do that again? You cannot place children's lives at risk simply to placate one paedophile. That would be criminally irresponsible and wrong.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Alright, how do you prove beyond doubt that a paedophile will never, ever do that again? You cannot place children's lives at risk simply to placate one paedophile. That would be criminally irresponsible and wrong.
    the rights of childrens well being has to come before any rights the peedo may have left.
  • Options
    the rights of childrens well being has to come before any rights the peedo may have left.
    Spot on. A few years ago, I saw a documentary on the BBC (I think it was done by Panorama) about a paedophile who was being tagged. It followed him as he tried to re-build his life. Part of his conditions were he was not allowed to go to any open public spaces where there might be children (a park, for example) and having to attend weekly therapy sessions to talk about his feelings, such as was he still sexually attracted to children? It was a real eye-opener.
  • Options
    well what reason is there for them to behave in prison then though....

in terms of paedophilia, just label it as a mental illness, and thus if someone gets convicted of it they can be automatically sectioned until they're no longer a threat :thumb:

most prisons are full of petty criminals who shouldnt be there, if you got them out on other punishments, you'd more than halve the prison population and be dealing with their problems better

automatic early release is a joke imo as it should be something you earn by behaving behind bars

the automatic 1/3 off sentences for pleading guilty shouldn't be automatic either, it should depend on whether the judge thinks there was a reasonable defence

the papers are so overblowing this, i bet people are wondering what happened to all the knife crime :p

Things are a bit different over here in Ireland in that a guilty plea is taken into account in sentencing but there isn't an automatic reduction that goes on a sentence for it. Everybody serves at least 3/4 of the prison sentence but then gets out unless they have any added time from getting into trouble while in there.

TBH, the few 'comforts' that people have in prison are probably most useful for prison officers as they can be used to make sure people behave when they are inside. If you had 500 men locked up in the one place without being able to relieve the boredom by not being able to have a TV, music, abl eto smoke etc. you would have a lot more trouble inside prisons than you do at the moment. It's not a pleasant experience at all and you see the number of suicides by people who can't handle being locked up.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Alright, how do you prove beyond doubt that a paedophile will never, ever do that again?

You can't. The paedophile may claim that they're alright and won't do anything like that again; but they may still end up committing that act (or a different one which is just as bad) again.
  • Options
    Then again the same could be said of every other offender.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If someone who hasn't paid their TV licence is released, and suddenly commits the same "crime" again, I couldn't give two monkeys. My attitude would not be the same were it the case some paedophile had struck again.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Exactly. But won't most people learn from their mistakes?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Exactly. But won't most people learn from their mistakes?
    the evidence suggests no.
  • Options
    Prevention is always going to work better. Send some ex-prisoners to talk to kids in schools. Perhaps look into military camps (it works in the States from what I've heard) to stop 'problem' kids in their tracks.

For people with severe mental problems we need secure mental hospitals. And to deter 'career criminals', people trying to make a living out of crime we need longer sentences and even tougher prisons. Meanwhile we need to create a separate charge of first degree murder - for which the guilty should be executed.
  • Options
    Prevention is always going to work better. Send some ex-prisoners to talk to kids in schools. Perhaps look into military camps (it works in the States from what I've heard) to stop 'problem' kids in their tracks.

For people with severe mental problems we need secure mental hospitals. And to deter 'career criminals', people trying to make a living out of crime we need longer sentences and even tougher prisons. Meanwhile we need to create a separate charge of first degree murder - for which the guilty should be executed.
    there is no evidence it has worked in the states.
    how about i go round the schools and tell the actual truth about my drug and crime experiences?
    i have a feeling the truth would actualy encourage many to drop out.
    how tough are british prisons?
    you don't realy have the faintest idea do you dis.
    yet here you are asking for tougher prisons.
  • Options
    Only thing I'd say is that prison does work for some and it is tough enough to spend time there. I did 4 months and have another 6 months that stays with me for the next 5 years and believe me I will do anything not to go back. I know I might be in the minority but it was a serious wake up call for me and having spent even that time locked up in a cell I know I'm not going back.
  • Options
    Maybe someone could help me with the actual figures, but I remember reading that a very large proportion of repeat offenders had some sort of medically recognised mental disorder. You can rehabilitate these people all you want, but if you then put them back into the same circumstances that convinced them to commit crimes in the first place (I'm talking mainly stealing here) then they are going to do the same thing again.
  • Options
    shane999 wrote:
    Only thing I'd say is that prison does work for some and it is tough enough to spend time there. I did 4 months and have another 6 months that stays with me for the next 5 years and believe me I will do anything not to go back. I know I might be in the minority but it was a serious wake up call for me and having spent even that time locked up in a cell I know I'm not going back.
    mind me asking what kind of jail you were in?
  • Options
    Maybe someone could help me with the actual figures, but I remember reading that a very large proportion of repeat offenders had some sort of medically recognised mental disorder. You can rehabilitate these people all you want, but if you then put them back into the same circumstances that convinced them to commit crimes in the first place (I'm talking mainly stealing here) then they are going to do the same thing again.
    i don't think your right about the mental issue.
    uneducated or badly educated and couldn't caare less for most reoffenders in my experience.
    getting chucked out the prison gate with no money and being homeless having lost a house flat etc whilst inside ...doesn't help either.
    what can a person do in a situation like that?
  • Options

So brutalising kids even further is going to stop them being criminals?

You get more and more extreme by the day.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

You get more and more extreme by the day.
    heres me thinking dis believed in toppling those in power who thunked things like this ...:chin:
  • Options
    heres me thinking dis believed in toppling those in power who thunked things like this ...:chin:

He's getting further and further to the right with every post.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    He's getting further and further to the right with every post.

On political compass I'm a mild libertarian and slightly to the right, pretty much in the centre really. And in a partisan sense I generally support the Conservative Party, I also identify with the Republican Party...Moderate centre-right I'd say. I guess you're far-left?
  • Options
    On political compass I'm a mild libertarian and slightly to the right, pretty much in the centre really. And in a partisan sense I generally support the Conservative Party, I also identify with the Republican Party...Moderate centre-right I'd say. I guess you're far-left?

Mild liberatarian? Yeah... :rolleyes: You're a free market fundamentalist and you know it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:
    Mild liberatarian? Yeah... :rolleyes: You're a free market fundamentalist and you know it.

He's in denial. :D First stage is to accept what you are...

He'll be putting up posters of Franco soon :p His views seem to have gone furthur right latley.

Ah well. Mine have gone left since I joined here.:eek:
  • Options
    If you really believe the Republican Party is 'moderate centre-right' you need your head examined.

Unless you are suggesting it is possible to be a moderate centre-right person and identify oneself with the very, very right wing Republican Party... which doesn't make much sense I'm afraid.
  • Options
    mind me asking what kind of jail you were in?

Mountjoy in Dublin. As far as I can make out it is similar to a Cat B jail over there - they don't have the same category stuff over here. The building is from the 1850s and not much has changed in it no toilets in cells etc just piss pots - they are talking about closing it down. A really depressing place.
  • Options
    I think a system that would help is that if when you are released (or as part of your license) or whatever you would have a job and accomodation provided. If you could prove you had got a job yourself that would be fine but otherwise you would have something for the first 3 months or whatever that would get you back working and be paid a proper rate. The jobs could be some similar projects that they use for community service or something like that. This would only help people who wanted to stay straight though.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If you really believe the Republican Party is 'moderate centre-right' you need your head examined.

The Republican Party and Democrat Party both encompass a very wide range of views. Among the 100 Senators there's a wide range of opinion. Arlen Specter, a Republican Senator for instance is pro-choice, supports gay rights and Lincoln Chafee another Republican Senator supports affirmative action and gun control. And among Democrats in the Senate there are people who have a pro-life voting record, Ben Nelson and Harry Reid for instance. And Zell Miller, a Democrat was one of the most vocal supporters of Bush in 2004...There's not really any distinctive single Republican or Democrat view, both cover a pretty broad range of opinion. I do however between the Republicans and Democrats generally identify more with the Republican mindset of smaller government and lower taxes. I'm generally fiscally conservative and socially liberal I guess...Republicans also generally have much more of an idea on foreign policy. Some Democrats are sounding pretty isolationist these days.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Unless you are suggesting it is possible to be a moderate centre-right person and identify oneself with the very, very right wing Republican Party... which doesn't make much sense I'm afraid.

I think I'd hope that Republicans go for Rudolph Giuliani or Condi Rice in '08, I wouldn't really call either of them very right wing...Although there are some good Democrats, Joe Lieberman speaks a lot of sense.
  • Options
    i don't think your right about the mental issue.
    Bear in mind that I think it included things such as learning difficulties and ADD. Sounds fairly reasonable, but I'll try to find it.

ETA: 39% of the sentanced prison population have some form of mental health disorder (66% of remand population) - Institute of Psychiatry. Health Advisory Committee for the Prison Service. Research Review. The Stationery Office, 1998.
  • Options
    The Republican Party and Democrat Party both encompass a very wide range of views. Among the 100 Senators there's a wide range of opinion. Arlen Specter, a Republican Senator for instance is pro-choice, supports gay rights and Lincoln Chafee another Republican Senator supports affirmative action and gun control. And among Democrats in the Senate there are people who have a pro-life voting record, Ben Nelson and Harry Reid for instance. And Zell Miller, a Democrat was one of the most vocal supporters of Bush in 2004...There's not really any distinctive single Republican or Democrat view, both cover a pretty broad range of opinion. I do however between the Republicans and Democrats generally identify more with the Republican mindset of smaller government and lower taxes. I'm generally fiscally conservative and socially liberal I guess....
    But the point is that apart from a few exceptions, both the official social policy and the personal beliefs of most Republican politicians are deeply, deeply conservative. Persecution of single mothers, rabid anti-abortion stance, stubborn opposition to any advancement of gay rights, and in some Deep America towns and cities antediluvian laws prohibiting fellatio or anal sex even for married people- let alone cohabitation or homosexuality.

You might think that Republicans and Democrats are not that different... and perhaps you are right. But compared with Europe and indeed the rest of the world, the Republicans (and to a lesser extent the Democrats) are incredibly right wing. Far more than any mainstream political party you will find on this side of the Atlantic. They make even the Tories look like a bunch of lefties.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But the point is that apart from a few exceptions, both the official social policy and the personal beliefs of most Republican politicians are deeply, deeply conservative. Persecution of single mothers, rabid anti-abortion stance, stubborn opposition to any advancement of gay rights, and in some Deep America towns and cities antediluvian laws prohibiting fellatio or anal sex even for married people- let alone cohabitation or homosexuality.

Structurally the Democrat and Republican parties are fairly undisciplined, whips in the House and Senate don't have anywhere near the power of their UK counterparts and I don't think whips even exist in the state legislatures. Hence it’s a bit vague really to talk of any 'official' Republican party policy on single mothers and gay rights. And most Republican politicans do not wish to persecute single mothers, ban anal sex and persecute gay people. (Lets also remember the Republican initiative seeking a constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a woman would not rule out civil partnerships providing gay couples with equal rights to married couples. Perhaps not ideal, a constitutional amendment seems drastic and misguided - but hardly homophobic. It's not as if gay marriage even exists in Britain where we have civil partnerships instead).
    Aladdin wrote:
    You might think that Republicans and Democrats are not that different... and perhaps you are right. But compared with Europe and indeed the rest of the world, the Republicans (and to a lesser extent the Democrats) are incredibly right wing. Far more than any mainstream political party you will find on this side of the Atlantic. They make even the Tories look like a bunch of lefties.

Tbh I would say it is just as much a cultural difference as it is political. I don't think it's just about left/right. America is different; there's a greater focus on individuals freedom, private charity - taking self initiative, etc. Britain is somewhere between Europe and America but leaning towards America. If you contrast Blair and even Brown as centre/centre-left politicians they broadly support reform and free trade; they to an extent talk about opposing subsidies and protectionism - whereas Chirac by French standards is centre-right yet he seems to be to the left of Labour most of the time. Europe? Poland and Estonia have pretty solidly centre-right governments, as did Spain until the election upset in 2004 and Italy only very narrowly moved back towards the left. Costas Karamanlis in Greece is pretty centre-right too. (Australia and Canada have centre-right governments while we're at it). I guess the Republicans are more right wing, they're broadly more libertarian than most parties outside America but I think that's perhaps something really that is more ingrained in America culturally than anything particularly partisan.

The family I have in America I know generally vote Democrats for president, a mix for House and Senate depending on the candidate and Republicans at state level...There's some sense in that, from that time I've spent in America I can see why people vote Republican at state level. For instance New Hampshire's state legislature is solidly Republican and they have excellent public services and very low state taxes. New Jersey much higher state taxes and worse public services...Generalising I know but it’s the same in England generally. Conservative councils consistently bring better value for money and Labour councils usually overspend, are often badly run and deliver crap services.
  • Options
    Also bear in mind like here, that people vote culturally as much as politically, ie my parents voted Labour and so do I (or my parents voted Republican and so do I).

Historically it was Southern democrats who were the extreme right wingers in terms of race, etc. The Republicans for years struggled to break in to the Southern strongholds and it was only with the civil rights movement that dixiercrats strangehold was broken.

To be fair comparing the US and UK (and indeed the any two countries) just shows the limitations of the idea of right/left. After all the US, has many states with smoking laws far to the left of what the UK has and it has a decentralised local democracy far in advance of anywhere in Europe (though I remain unconvinced by the idea we should elect law enforcement officials)